Wee beasties

haggis

Featured Posts

We are moored above Shadehouse lock and after an indifferent meal in the Swan (I take back the nice things I said a few months ago as it has gone downhill again) I was sitting in the fore deck when my ankles were attacked by little skinny black beasties which bit like mad. I moved indoors. What were they? Much smaller than a horsefly (cleg) but equally viscous. My ankles are very itchy this morning despite several applications of After Bite. I

Haggis 

My apologies for not responding but after I look at a thread I don't see it again till someone else posts. I don't like this but don't know how to change it. A feature since the last update just sorted it!! 

Haggis 

Edited by haggis

Could they be thunder flies? - I don't know if that's their real name or not but they're like a skinny version of a black fly. I don't get bit by much (I'm not that tasty) but I use Smidge on both me and my dog and it really helps. :)

11 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Wee sleeket timerous courus beastie, oh what a panic's in thy breastie, why thee awar so heastie. ?

I would be laith to run and chase thee...

Or something like that, it’s been many years...

9 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I have one of those electric tennis racquets on the boat to zap any unwanted guests and the odd fly.

I have one of these too but it is at home in the caravan :-). I find you need to be quick and have a good aim. 

My ankles are still red, swollen and itchy some 36 hours after the attack and I will visit a chemist in Stone later today in search of a cooling agent 

Haggis 

3 hours ago, haggis said:

I have one of these too but it is at home in the caravan :-). I find you need to be quick and have a good aim. 

My ankles are still red, swollen and itchy some 36 hours after the attack and I will visit a chemist in Stone later today in search of a cooling agent 

Haggis 

I use hydrocortisone in that situation, just make sure the bites aren't infected.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/05/2018 at 08:56, haggis said:

We are moored above Shadehouse lock and after an indifferent meal in the Swan (I take back the nice things I said a few months ago as it has gone downhill again) I was sitting in the fore deck when my ankles were attacked by little skinny black beasties which bit like mad. I moved indoors. What were they? Much smaller than a horsefly (cleg) but equally viscous. My ankles are very itchy this morning despite several applications of After Bite. I

Haggis 

Could they be Blandford flies. Can remember them from my younger days, they were vicious buggers

Image result for blandford fly

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

The bloo6y mosquitos are bad this year, we expect them on the rivers, not the swarms we are seeing now, undercoated a gunnel yesterday between 6 and 7pm and I reckon old friends has gained about 150 new crew members. 

Only 150? If we have any lights on with windows open it's like a fly fog in here.

On 09/05/2018 at 08:41, haggis said:

Haggis 

TCP applied liberally

On 08/05/2018 at 20:50, Tumshie said:

Could they be thunder flies? - I don't know if that's their real name or not but they're like a skinny version of a black fly. I don't get bit by much (I'm not that tasty) but I use Smidge on both me and my dog and it really helps. :)

The correct name is Thrips but they usually appear at grain harvest time as ears of wheat etc are there normal habitat, they are not known for biting only for irritating the life out of you by crawling all over you. A garden pest as they are sap suckers.

At this time of year I would expect to be bothered by Midges.

Phil 

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 08:56, haggis said:

We are moored above Shadehouse lock and after an indifferent meal in the Swan (I take back the nice things I said a few months ago as it has gone downhill again) I was sitting in the fore deck when my ankles were attacked by little skinny black beasties which bit like mad. I moved indoors. What were they? Much smaller than a horsefly (cleg) but equally viscous. . I

Haggis 

Most insects are viscous once they're squashed. :)

53 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Most insects are viscous once they're squashed. :)

I knew that spelling was wrong but at the time I couldn't think of the correct one. Surprised no one commented before ?

Haggis. 

Ps didn't moor at shadehouse last night in case the wee beasties were still around