L&L

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

We spent Christmas 2016 near there. The swing bridge wasn't closed for major installations, new barriers etc.

The Slipway pub  was a bit rough but I believe it's been through a refurb since.

We stopped at the slipway on our way out, best pub pie I have had for a long time. 

I imagine the batteries took a hammering over the bank holiday weekend, was there this morning at 8.30 fortunately the Slipway pub has a slipway ? which made it fairly easy to turn my 47ft boat around. Locals did tell me the new licencee has smartened the pub up.

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Swing bridge at The Slipway, Crabtree Bridge 32 the batteries are flat. It is being opened manually about every couple of hours. its a 24 volt system with a 14 amp charger

Why on earth does it operate on batteries ?  Surely if it has a charger that runs on the mains, why isn't it powered directly from the mains? 

6 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Why on earth does it operate on batteries ?  Surely if it has a charger that runs on the mains, why isn't it powered directly from the mains? 

looking at the length and thickness of the charger leads I would say the designer doesn't know much about volt drop and battery charging, they were also a pare of Lucas maintenance free ones, not traction.

1 minute ago, bill brown said:

Perhaps it was installed by the same company that has the maintenance contract!!

The next one up works on mains supplied DC.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

looking at the length and thickness of the charger leads I would say the designer doesn't know much about volt drop and battery charging, they were also a pare of Lucas maintenance free ones, not traction.

The next one up works on mains supplied DC.

Sounds like a dogs dinner. Are CaRT manning it ?

Titchmarsh lock on the Nene operates on batteries. The story is that it when it was electrified it had solar panels installed to keep them charged but they were nicked within a week. Now the batteries are charged by the big generator in a shed which powers the Middle Nene clubhouse.

MP.

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

Wev'e been stuck there several times, the Slipway was an odd place, a bit like a Butlins dining room, but they did a nice pint of Thwaites whilst waiting for CaRT to turn up to fix the bridge. I hear good things about the new re-opened Slipway. So, I am told the mains to the bridge is low current only so can't swing the bridge directly so instead it trickle charges the batteries, if too many boats go thru the batteries go flat and set an under-voltage trip that needs a manual reset by CaRT contractors.

Doing Liverpool (yet again) in July so will try to visit the Slipway and check it out.

.............Dave

8 minutes ago, dmr said:

Wev'e been stuck there several times, the Slipway was an odd place, a bit like a Butlins dining room, but they did a nice pint of Thwaites whilst waiting for CaRT to turn up to fix the bridge. I hear good things about the new re-opened Slipway. So, I am told the mains to the bridge is low current only so can't swing the bridge directly so instead it trickle charges the batteries, if too many boats go thru the batteries go flat and set an under-voltage trip that needs a manual reset by CaRT contractors.

Doing Liverpool (yet again) in July so will try to visit the Slipway and check it out.

.............Dave

I think the under voltage trip has failed then from the voltages the chap were talking about. it all runs from a 14 amp Ctek 24 volt charger through to lengths of 2.5mm flex connected to 2 Lucas not very big sealed batteries.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think the under voltage trip has failed then from the voltages the chap were talking about. it all runs from a 14 amp Ctek 24 volt charger through to lengths of 2.5mm flex connected to 2 Lucas not very big sealed batteries.

We've called CaRT out several times, I suspect the money spent on these call-outs could have paid for a much better electrical system, but I suspect that comes out of a different budget, I have always enjoyed our enforced visits to the Slipway, maybe they own the cables and its all part of a plan.

..............Dave

Just now, dmr said:

We've called CaRT out several times, I suspect the money spent on these call-outs could have paid for a much better electrical system, but I suspect that comes out of a different budget, I have always enjoyed our enforced visits to the Slipway, maybe they own the cables and its all part of a plan.

..............Dave

Had a nice beer there when we stopped. Its the Holt pub company now, so I asked for family discount but got nowhere.  http://holtpubco.co.uk/index.html

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Had a nice beer there when we stopped. Its the Holt pub company now, so

asked for family discount but got nowhere.  http://holtpubco.co.uk/index.html

Its a superb location for a pub. Last year the local rumour was that it was going to be turned into housing so the fact that its  still a pub has to be good news. Getting a discount at pubs is always a challenge, wish they did bulk discount!!!, but just been getting the £2.00 Monday offer at the Salty Dog in Northwich.

................Dave

17 hours ago, Flyboy said:

There are often mains power cuts in this neck of the woods so I guess the battery power is an attempt to avoid closure due to power loss - hmm, seemed like a good idea at the time!

36 minutes ago, plainsman said:

There are often mains power cuts in this neck of the woods so I guess the battery power is an attempt to avoid closure due to power loss - hmm, seemed like a good idea at the time!

Seems to me that it needs bigger batteries and a more powerful charger. I bet CaRT haven't done a survey of boat usage to work out the power requirement.

19 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Seems to me that it needs bigger batteries and a more powerful charger. I bet CaRT haven't done a survey of boat usage to work out the power requirement.

They probably have and come up with something like 1200 movements per year but it doesn't take into account 40 on a sunny bank Holiday Saturday and anther 40 on the Monday.

20 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They probably have and come up with something like 1200 movements per year but it doesn't take into account 40 on a sunny bank Holiday Saturday and anther 40 on the Monday.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

• 2 weeks later...