Fibreglass rebuild

manxmike

Featured Posts

Well, I have made a good start on the refurbishment. Having stripped out the old floor, kitchen etc, I found two pin hole leaks in the hull under the water line which is why the hull had always got two inches of water in!

Holes sealed and the hull cleaned - amazed that a previous owner had simply put attic flooring panels on top of a wet, rotten floor.

258366333_Originalfloor.jpg.0be16e6d7bfd8cfda5cd683343527de3.jpgThe original flooring that rotted and was then covered

Next, strip out the kitchen "units" and the seating together with the associated platform.

384041922_Originalkitchen.jpg.3ad2d3462f6e50d9951b4d5ee2fddf55.jpg               628294454_Originalfloorandbow.jpg.c2723d4c159974a020ab254c2fa5fa0c.jpg

The same with the odd little shelf in the bows. So far I have managed to take seven full loads of rotten timber to the tip - my car is a mark 1 Honda CRV and has a lot of space in the back.

After a break of a few months due to an extended period in Egypt back to the boat for a ten day period. Thanks to my daughter and her family for putting up with me for that long!

Starting in the bow, I have panelled in the wasted space

1676916566_Bowinprogress.jpg.cc31ab1e730a6bc1c9d91221617b0d4f.jpg

Then I panelled the area under the side pockets and have given it all a first coat of undercoat

140833609_Panelledbows.jpg.dd03ec576c43b55d681a7246a138cfe4.jpg

Moving towards the stern, I have built in new kitchen units (yet to be finished), opposite them I put in a raised platform with two seats (cupboards under), new 12mm water resistant ply flooring on 2" square struts and a full height wardrobe (originally it was a narrow half height with a tiny shelf on top).

1852657646_Floorinprogress.jpg.aac55cd88b746731888f6f5224d55a9e.jpgFlooring going in with the seating platform.

1795271124_Kitchen2.jpg.4b6665aa97dac9471bbfdba8a05404ba.jpgWardrobe to the right, toilet room to the left

Kitchen.jpg.f175c9be92949b13b64eaa00cb22a2f0.jpgThe kitchen with sink, oven, rings and grill and fridge in place but not connected.

At this point I came to the end of my 10 day jaunt. With an impending house move in the next month, it looks like everything goes on hold once again until the end of June at the earliest. In the meantime I have had the engine serviced (last time was in 2013) replaced the "morse" control unit as there was no key for the old one (since discovered that replacement keys are readily available (doh!))

When I do come back I need to completely re-wire the boat, it had an interesting mix of bell wire, speaker wire and mains wire, none of which was routed through the fuse panel, I need to add a second battery together with the charging system. I still have to try and figure out some way of getting a shower on board - that will need a shower tray with associated pump etc at a level enabling us to stand upright, as well as with some method of heating water. There was originally a gas water heater in the kitchen and the roof vent is still in place. Anyone have a water heater in reasonable nick going cheap?

I have the roof lining (vinyl) ready to be attached in an effort to reduce condensation and carpeting needs to be sourced. New cushions and covers are a necessity. I have managed to seal most of the window leaks, with the exception of the front hatch which has a very annoying drip. I will have to make a cover for the hatch which seems a common idea, in the meantime a bucket helps!

In the process I have met (and contacted) some lovely people, not least Wayne and his lovely long suffering wife. The other moorers on the Marina have all been fascinated by my progress (or lack thereof) and have offered help, advice and all manner of items from electrical connectors to their pram hood that they're replacing next year.

I must admit I'm looking forward to my next visit, as, with a working engine, I can actually take the boat out on the canal.

If anyone is thinking of refurbishing an older boat my advice would be GO FOR IT! It's fun (sometimes frustrating) and rewarding as you can see the improvement happening. There's a sense of pride knowing I've made it happen and at the end of the day the boat should be worth more than I originally paid for it.

I will update as more things happen.

• Greenie 2

For those that didn't know, the boat is a 1970s Norman 27 foot centre cockpit which has been bodged by a variety of previous owners leaving it in a state that needed a complete strip-out, re-wire and internal re-fit.Lock-ahead-port-side.jpg.888fd97a27c3d68be39eddb0daec192c.jpgLock-Ahead-stern.jpg.c9a140b951b29fc2f15402036fe7ac4a.jpg264627816_lockahead(Cobweb).jpg.378b058a66d4000af0cf8aeb22c5535a.jpg

We know a chap who has one of these Normans that he bought brand new obviously many years ago now.

It still has all of it's original fixtures, fittings and appliances onboard. It's like stepping back in time stepping on board. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey. A bit different from when i looked over it. Great work.

Seems only weeks since i was there. You done well with not livong over here and getting things done.

You got much more done since you started this thread. I have been busy  so missed it.

Wayne 

Nice one, get the end of the good weather. Some cracking pubs on the Lancaster isnt there.

I sooo wish i stuck to my plan i would be afloat now :(

Enjoy Mike, deserve t:) 

• 3 months later...

Update time:

Still not been over - sooo busy. We have finally moved house and are living out of boxes. Downsized from a five bed detached to a three bed bungalow. We got rid of a lot of furniture and we are going to have to get rid of even more!

June was the TT races here and August the MGP - I marshal for both. I also had a slight medical problem, I grew a Granuloma on the palm of my left hand - the size and appearance of a strawberry and eventually I had minor surgery to remove it.

All this has put a crimp in my plans to get over and finish off the work - temporarily.

Hopefully I will be there within the next month or so.

• 6 months later...

Ah well, finally bit the bullet and sold the boat!

I worked out that it was going to take several years to complete the work, mooring fees, licence and insurance would end up being silly money for a boat I wasn't able to use. Sadly I had done an awful lot of the required work, but couldn't justify pouring more money into what was starting to look like an endless project.

So....... with the money I'm not paying on mooring etc we're hiring a boat on the Norfolk Broads in October.

Still going to be looking for a Highbridge Crusader for future purchase and use - so if you hear of one for sale please let me know.

• Greenie 2

17 hours ago, manxmike said:

Ah well, finally bit the bullet and sold the boat!

I worked out that it was going to take several years to complete the work, mooring fees, licence and insurance would end up being silly money for a boat I wasn't able to use. Sadly I had done an awful lot of the required work, but couldn't justify pouring more money into what was starting to look like an endless project.

So....... with the money I'm not paying on mooring etc we're hiring a boat on the Norfolk Broads in October.

Still going to be looking for a Highbridge Crusader for future purchase and use - so if you hear of one for sale please let me know.

We are on the Broads in October on Swan Ranger from Richardson's yard.

What dates are you down there?

We're going on Western Horizon, also from Richardson's (Stalham) from September 28th to October 5th. We've never been on the Broads before, but my parents used to go quite regularly and loved it. My wife will appreciate the lack of locks - her MS means while she can still operate them it's very hard work for her and saps what little energy she has.

Looking forward to being on someone else's boat, we used to borrow a friends narrow boat so it's a trip down memory lane (Ah nostalgia, but it isn't what it used to be).

3 hours ago, manxmike said:

We're going on Western Horizon, also from Richardson's (Stalham) from September 28th to October 5th. We've never been on the Broads before, but my parents used to go quite regularly and loved it. My wife will appreciate the lack of locks - her MS means while she can still operate them it's very hard work for her and saps what little energy she has.

Looking forward to being on someone else's boat, we used to borrow a friends narrow boat so it's a trip down memory lane (Ah nostalgia, but it isn't what it used to be).

You take yours back on the day we pick ours up.

We love the Broads be it on our own boat or on a hire boat. There is something for everyone and there is a boat for every budget.

We have found the Richardsons fleet to be very well maintained and exceptionally clean compared to other hire yards. They have some older boats but they really do look after them.