holy crap......we just brought a boat.......ahhhhhhhh scary

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

I agree that there are a few issues, and the numbers I gave were a bit arbitrary, but I've consulted the EcoFan support helpline and they say it is definitely possible. 

Hydraulic legs and spud cans (Jack up rig term) 2 each side at bow and stern.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, so had the survey and overall not too shabby....

I did want to just say....a huge thankyou to who ever it was that recommended steve hand as a surveyor.

We genuinly could not ask for a nicer more genuine chap that you actualy feel is there to represent your interests. I know its a paid service and some will say thats there job but only my wife could go and she has said to me how well he explained stuff to her after the survey in the oral report, answering all her questions for 45 mins afterwards.

Really pleased with that. Big thanks to steve hand and a whole hearted recommendation. I will use him for bsc from this point forward no questions.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 3

4 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

I did want to just say....a huge thankyou to who ever it was that recommended steve hand as a surveyor.

We genuinly could not ask for a nicer more genuine chap that you actualy feel is there to represent your interests. I know its a paid service and some will say thats there job but only my wife could go and she has said to me how well he explained stuff to her after the survey in the oral report, answering all her questions for 45 mins afterwards.

Really pleased with that. Big thanks to steve hand and a whole hearted recommendation. I will use him for bsc from this point forward no questions.

Congratulations soon be on the water then? 

I bet being a nice chap he didn't mention the painted rivets then? ??

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Exactly the experience I had with him. Best part of an hour in the lounge, talking over his findings.

On the BSC... he actually pointed out a couple of things that would have failed a BSC if he had been doing it at the time, (but he wasn't :) )..... 2 years later, when I had the BSC done in Manchester, none of the things he pointed out were issues. One was a coiled diesel pipe, which he didnt like, but the chap who did it actually said he liked... make of that what you will ....

BSC, not unlike the MOT. I once had a car fail the MOT. Took it to another garage and it passed. That can't happen now as if the car has failed, even if you have a few days left of the old one, it's not Road worthy.

We had a BSC about twelve years ago. The guy who did it was a obnoxious man and failed all sorts of stuff. Not helpful in his manner. We have two gas lockers on the stern deck. Inside and about two foot down from the wooden lid there's a shut off valve. He said I had to isolate the side not in use in case the valve got knocked by someone and opened the system. Who the hell is going to accidentally knock it. I questioned it, he said it's his signature on the certificate. Message recieved. Haven't used him again. Even forgotten his name. Miserable git.

15 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We had a BSC about twelve years ago. The guy who did it was a obnoxious man and failed all sorts of stuff. Not helpful in his manner. We have two gas lockers on the stern deck. Inside and about two foot down from the wooden lid there's a shut off valve. He said I had to isolate the side not in use in case the valve got knocked by someone and opened the system. Who the hell is going to accidentally knock it. I questioned it, he said it's his signature on the certificate. Message recieved. Haven't used him again. Even forgotten his name. Miserable git.

Leaving an unused gas isolator valve uncapped is classed as the highest possible danger under the GSIUR (i.e. house gas regs). Same level of danger as an actual gas leak or flue products discharging into a living space.  

Agreement confirmed very little to do on the boat the bsc stuff being covered by current owner we take up the rest of the flack. Overall fair. And very cheap on the sellers part at £50 ish for repair mine well thats going to be a bitttttt more but we knew of those requirements before purchase.....new annodes and central heating.

Has anyone seen any deals on eberspacher webasto diesel fire units. Want reliability as far as we can get from these units. Been quoted 3k fitted..... ouch!!!!

33 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Agreement confirmed very little to do on the boat the bsc stuff being covered by current owner we take up the rest of the flack. Overall fair. And very cheap on the sellers part at £50 ish for repair mine well thats going to be a bitttttt more but we knew of those requirements before purchase.....new annodes and central heating.

Has anyone seen any deals on eberspacher webasto diesel fire units. Want reliability as far as we can get from these units. Been quoted 3k fitted..... ouch!!!!

Why does it need new central heating? 

Why does it need central heating at all?! Is there no stove? If not this should be your priority.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why does it need new central heating? 

Why does it need central heating at all?! Is there no stove? If not this should be your priority.

From boats description

There is a Willow solid fuel stove in the saloon

5 minutes ago, reg said:

From boats description

There is a Willow solid fuel stove in the saloon

Ok thanks. 

So it still isn't clear whether there is a central heating system with a defunct Webasto that needs replacing, or if the OP wants to install a whole new heating system from scratch where none currently exists. 

None currently exists mike. Its got rads and pipe work from an old aldi boiler but its a dead system.

Any info on that type of stove? Id like a morso but if this willow stove is sufficient it will do.

22 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Steve did our boat and as you now know, he comes highly recommended.

28 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Any info on that type of stove? Id like a morso but if this willow stove is sufficient it will do.

If it's in working condition i'd just leave it there until you need to use it for an extended period of time. You'll soon find out if you like it and if it's right for the space it's heating. If not, then think about replacing.

Edited by Rumsky
Typoid

Hey all had a great weekend at crick and got a few ideas on price for eberspacher purchase and instal costs....basicly 3k ? ouch but hey its boats which mean expensive.

We have just started a youtube channel so have a short vid on crick if u wanna check it out, it does not last long so probably better vids out there if you missed it.

Boating channel is "nagatively buoyant" 

Hope you have had a great weekend and a better bank hol monday

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

It’ll be fun to share in your progression. In the mean time we’ve been playing in your ‘how much solar’ thread :D

Warning that thread is rated, contains some violence. 

BBFC_18_2.jpg

Edited by reg
  • Haha 1