holy crap......we just brought a boat.......ahhhhhhhh scary

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

Hi all, 

Big thanks to you all for your words of wisdom over the past few months but we finaly did it.....we got a boat. Deposit paid today just the survey to sort out ahhhhhhhhhh scrared and excited....... 

Oh, well done. How long to the survey?  How to coordinate a surveyor and a lift out at the same time? I remember it well this time last year!!

Best of luck to you both. Hope the next 2-3 weeks goes smoothly. Here's to your next 1000 posts?

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

All asking '"What do I do about this ................. ?" or "How much .................. ?"

......should  where can I buy and ecofan or where can I buy a duck?

Edited by Dr Bob

Sorted the eco fan.....jasmin on narrowboat experience has a great deal going with a stockist with 20% off so yes a reduced price stove pipe mounted 1 lol.

Edited by Matt&Jo
Edited to say i bloody am not getting a duck
  • Happy 1

It's exciting stuff.

Over 5 years ago I was in the same situation on buying my first boat for 25k. A 1998 Liverpool 50ft trad. I work so Marina Based and have no regrets and adapted the boat as I wanted. Walk through bathroom and bigger kitchen with separate 12 volt fridge and freezer, cooker, dishwasher and added solar and a victron inverter charger.

I had my boat surveyed by Steve Hands and it was a very good result. He doesn't do BSS though.

I plan to get out soon and go cruising!

At first I thought it was sinking as hearing drips, then realised it was raining.

James:)

18 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Sorted the eco fan.....jasmin on narrowboat experience has a great deal going with a stockist with 20% off so yes a reduced price stove pipe mounted 1 lol.

Only muppets get ducks, don't worry too much

Oh and well done, I still remember that first day mainly thinking "what have I done"

• Haha 1

Steve Hands if he is available - excellent!

He did do BSS in 2011 when he surveyed our boat at Barton Under Needwood. He told me it was a good job he wasn’t doing our BSS because he would have failed the coiled diesel fuel pipe.

The pipe passed fine at our first BSS in 2013

I used Craig Allen for my survey,  top bloke, very helpful and thorough. He also does a free BSS inspection with every survey,  so if the boat  passes you save round  £180.

http://craig-allen-marine.co.uk

Recently I used  Chris Williams for my BSS inspection. He also does surveys and is another top bloke. https://www.ovationboatsurveys.co.uk/default.aspx

Whoops, cross posted with Ray T.

Welcome to the wonderful (if expensive) world of boating.

Come on,  we need piccies of your new boat. ?

Edited by cuthound
To add the last sentance

16 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I used Craig Allen for my survey,  top bloke, very helpful and thorough. He also does a free BSS inspection with every survey,  so if the boat  passes you save round  £180.

http://craig-allen-marine.co.uk

Recently I used  Chris Williams for my BSS inspection. He also does surveys and is another top bloke. https://www.ovationboatsurveys.co.uk/default.aspx

Whoops, cross posted with Ray T.

Welcome to the wonderful (if expensive) world of boating.

Come on,  we need piccies of your new boat. ?

I believe Craig Allen no longer carries out BSC inspections, but just concentrates on surveys now.

Edited by Ray T

4 minutes ago, Ray T said:

I believe Craig Allen no longer carries out BSC inspections, but just concentrates on surveys now.

He always had, but includes a "free" BSS inspection with each survey.

Extract from his website,

"(All full surveys include a new Boat Safety Certificate and a valuation).
Click here to print off a Survey Contract and Scope and Limitations of the Survey document."

37 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

BSS= Nigel Carton. Nice bloke. Knows his stuff.  Need confirmation of THE  boat please.

Indeed. Done my last 2 boat safety inspections. Comes on time, friendly and reliable.

I would find your own surveyor and dock it at either Barton Marina or Streethay or Shobnall Marina.

James:)

Edited by canals are us?

Okay so the boat is going to great hayward to be lifted out and will be surveyed there. And the boat i went for is............get ready for the stick about the rivets.........

https://www.greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/shop/rosaline/

We decided this is about the journey not how fancy dancy we are while on it so we are happy....just need to get back up heating sorted and to work out why the immersion wont fire......

19 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Okay so the boat is going to great hayward to be lifted out and will be surveyed there. And the boat i went for is............get ready for the stick about the rivets.........

https://www.greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/shop/rosaline/

We decided this is about the journey not how fancy dancy we are while on it so we are happy....just need to get back up heating sorted and to work out why the immersion wont fire......

Nice.

The immersion problem is likely to be a failed element, £20-25 plus half an hour labour max, or an easy DIY.