Black Counties Ring; Which way round

RAB

Featured Posts

Advice required please.

Have a two week trip coming up leaving from Stone 2/3 June. Considering heading south and then doing the Black Counties Ring (we have lots of time so not needing to rush). Once we get to Great Hayward Junction what are the views on the best way round the ring, clockwise or anti-clockwise (any consideration to hire fleet bases, places to stop / not stop etc)? There are just two of us, although trying to persuade some friends to join us to help with a flight or two (suspect not guaranteed!).

apologies if there is a previous thread, I though there was but couldn't find it.

I would go down the Staffs &Worcs and then onwards. Whightwick Manor is worth stopping for. Good shopping in Penkridge especially Jaspers bakery. You could also go to the Black Country museum. Central Birmingham is interesting with plenty of places to visit. Merry Hell shopping centre is also good for stocking up on food. Others will say which pubs are worth stopping at. 

1 hour ago, RAB said:

Advice required please.

Have a two week trip coming up leaving from Stone 2/3 June. Considering heading south and then doing the Black Counties Ring (we have lots of time so not needing to rush). Once we get to Great Hayward Junction what are the views on the best way round the ring, clockwise or anti-clockwise (any consideration to hire fleet bases, places to stop / not stop etc)? There are just two of us, although trying to persuade some friends to join us to help with a flight or two (suspect not guaranteed!).

apologies if there is a previous thread, I though there was but couldn't find it.

I would go anti clockwise.  Gt. Hayward (Clifford Arms), Penkridge (The Boat), Coven ( Fox & Anchor), Black Country Museum, Birmingham (moor opposite the Barclycard Arena or Oozles Street loop). Bodymoor Heath (Dog & Doublet), Fazeley Junct. Hopwas (Tame Otter, Red Lion), Huddlesford Junct. (The Plough), Fradley Junct. (The Swan), Rugeley), Little Hayward (Red Lion). Weston on Trent (Sarecens Head), Salt Br 82 (The Holly Bush Inn)

Birmingham is safe for mooring opposite the Barclaycard Arena (Symphony Court) & Oozles St. Loop. 

Suggest you get the Pearsons Canal Companion for The Stourport Ring as this covers the Black Country ring as well.

8th Edition, Updated 2016 
ISBN 978 0 9562777 2 5 • £9.95

I’d go clockwise. Simply because it feels a lovely sense of achievement going up Farmers Bridge and arriving in the City Centre at the end of a long day. Mooring at Cambrian Wharf or Brindley Place is quite when the pubs are shut. 

And it’s always a surprise leaving by the Wolverhampton 21 and going into a beautiful rural setting. 

Going via  Delph and Stourbrdge is another pretty way to leave town. And you get to go through the Netherton Tunnel. 

You're spoilt for choice - either whichway works because if you start uphill, you'll soon go downhill and there's norra lot of difference.

Off the top I'd go anticlockwise because-

If you're making good progress then at ** junction you could carry on and go via Stourbrige instead - many folks don't and that's a pain (no dishonour to w'hmpton 21 - cos they're great, whistling through). Shopping on the way at the old steelworks and Netherton tunnel which is posh and no challenge). A longer route though - if all you want is to blast through.

If you want to visit - and you should - the BCLM (I get the vibes that it's improved of late) and you may  benefit from the ablutions, water, pump out courtesy of CaRT outside. (I always get a buzz if I can moor outside a venue) and it's a great place to visit if you ask questions  at the various shops dsuc as why does Bismuth give me the sh**ts at the chemist, and what's a valve radio at the - umm radio shop. Don't ask about the cars as there's never anyone there... It's a bit less convenient if you're coming off the New Mainline as you'll have to turn back on yourselves and that leads to the answer 'No'

As wilt all routes what do you want to do when you're not crashing through the locks. Come back with some requirements and I'll do my best to put you off.