oil change

tortuga guy

Featured Posts

hello you wonderful people, it is time for my barrus shire 1200 diesel engine built in 2002 to have its oil changed, i only bought the boat last august and the previous owner told me back then that the oil would have to be changed around april / may so now is the time, he did leave me a bit of the oil he last used which is barrus shire 10w 30 api cc, the problem is that there isn't enough , so i thought i could use what is left in the prm 120 gear box which i believe is ok as it says in the manual to use the same oil, please correct me if i am wrong, however i can not find this same oil on line even on the barrus web site, have they stopped making it or / and is there a replacement ?? any info will be greatly appreciated thank you and happy cruising.

Edited by tortuga guy
wrong date

thank you Wotever, iv'e seen that a lot looking for the correct oil and may have to use it, but in the meantime i think i'll try find the original recommended oil, the 10w40 cd i believe is best for more recently built barrus shires, thank you though.

9 hours ago, tortuga guy said:

hello you wonderful people, it is time for my barrus shire 1200 diesel engine built in 2002 to have its oil changed, i only bought the boat last august and the previous owner told me back then that the oil would have to be changed around april / may so now is the time, he did leave me a bit of the oil he last used which is barrus shire 10w 30 api cc, the problem is that there isn't enough , so i thought i could use what is left in the prm 120 gear box which i believe is ok as it says in the manual to use the same oil, please correct me if i am wrong, however i can not find this same oil on line even on the barrus web site, have they stopped making it or / and is there a replacement ?? any info will be greatly appreciated thank you and happy cruising.

How does the previous owner know you would need to change the oil around april/may when you bought the boat last august? I have changed mine 3 times since august for instance or do you maybe not use the engine/boat? Its important to change at specified intervals ?

18 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Why does it have to be Barrus Shire 10w 40 ? Wouldn't any good quality 10w 40 be perfectly fine? 

Maybe I am missing something here.

No you are not and it does not even have to be "good quality" that many people read as " a well known brand". As has been said the grade is API CD so any API CD oil of a suitable viscosity should be fine as long a sit comes from a reputable outlet to minimise the chance of being sold a fake API spec.

Tony is spot on. You need a super duper mega expensive oil if you drive a Merc that needs an oil change every 12,000 miles, but a slow reving diesel is fine with bog standard Costco cheapest. I do mine every 200 hrs. That's what London taxis do. 

With most boat engines these days being conversions from Japanese small digger / big mower / industrial engines they are quite happy on 'normal' oil and so long as its clean and the right viscosity etc they should be fine.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Tony is spot on. You need a super duper mega expensive oil if you drive a Merc that needs an oil change every 12,000 miles, but a slow reving diesel is fine with bog standard Costco cheapest. I do mine every 200 hrs. That's what London taxis do. 

My 330 BMW is running with Tesco 10w 30 fully synthetic . Half the price of well known brands . Hence why J thought it strange that the op is looking specifically for Barrus oil.

Bmw is currently on 205,000 and still going strong.

Edited by Rickent

thank you Wotever, iv'e seen that a lot looking for the correct oil and may have to use it, but in the meantime i think i'll try find the original recommended oil, the 10w40 cd i believe is best for more recently built barrus shires, thank you though.

mrsmelly, the previous owner had the boat from new and from day one used the recommended oil in the manual, 10w/30 api cc, it also happens that he used the barrus shire brand, he also knew that i would not use the boat more than 250 hours when i told him about myself and my plans for the next 12 months last august, (the recommended time for an oil change is 250 hours or twelve months which ever comes first) i have only used the engine approximately 200 hours , 4-5 hours every week end since including all of winter and he had done the last oil change about this time last year , so thought it good form to follow the manual and use the same oil,. Ok i now understand that it doesn't have to be Barrus Shire brand oil but at least a good quality oil of the same viscosity / api spec, surely.   

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, tortuga guy said:

Ok i now understand that it doesn't have to be Barrus Shire brand oil but at least a good quality oil of the same viscosity / api spec, surely.   

No. As a number of us have said, ANY oil meeting the spec will be ok. Honest! I used to work for BP. I know oil formulations. I buy cheap oil from Costco.

4 hours ago, Rickent said:

Why does it have to be Barrus Shire 10w 40 ? Wouldn't any good quality 10w 40 be perfectly fine? 

Maybe I am missing something here.

Of course it doesn't need to be Barrus Oil.  Barrus don't make oil, they just buy in and put their label on the can, the add a 100% mark up. If I go to France I buy a load in the Auchan supermarket.  5 litres of 15/40CD for 9 euros. 

30 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

No. As a number of us have said, ANY oil meeting the spec will be ok. Honest! I used to work for BP. I know oil formulations. I buy cheap oil from Costco.

Is Costco available to the general public or is it trade only ? How much is oil in Costco by the way ?

It's a club! Membership is limited to businesses and certain professions like teaching, health service and a multitude of others. I think IIRC last time it was £30 for 25 litres of Chevron branded oil. Usually it is 30% cheaper than Halfords etc.

thank you all , will this stuff do then ???   http://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/superfleet-sd-10w30/501

mrsmelly, the previous owner had the boat from new and from day one used the recommended oil in the manual, 10w/30 api cc, it also happens that he used the barrus shire brand, he also knew that i would not use the boat more than 250 hours when i told him about myself and my plans for the next 12 months last august, (the recommended time for an oil change is 250 hours or twelve months which ever comes first) i have only used the engine approximately 200 hours , 4-5 hours every week end since including all of winter and he had done the last oil change about this time last year , so thought it good form to follow the manual and use the same oil,. Ok i now understand that it doesn't have to be Barrus Shire brand oil but at least a good quality oil of the same viscosity / api spec, surely.   

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

It's a club! Membership is limited to businesses and certain professions like teaching, health service and a multitude of others. I think IIRC last time it was £30 for 25 litres of Chevron branded oil. Usually it is 30% cheaper than Halfords etc.

Thanks for that, no good for us layabouts that no longer work then. Good price though. You could buy in bulk and flog it on, you could be the next Dellboy.  :giggles:

Edited by Flyboy

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Is Costco available to the general public or is it trade only ? How much is oil in Costco by the way ?

• 44 posts
  • Boat Name:ELLIE

thank you all , will this stuff do then ???   http://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/superfleet-sd-10w30/501

32 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Looks like they now accept anybody "no qualifications necessary" provided you pay payb them  £15 per annum. 

https://www.costco.co.uk/membership

Yes, it looks that way. Probably half the population fitted the old membership rules. We spend a lot there and if you know what is cheap ...and what isnt... it saves us a lot of money.