Thames > Reading > Tesco Moorings

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

I've heard a lot of complaints that boaters can't get to temporarily moor at Tescos in Reading, due to long term moorers hogging the moorings.

While going through Marsh Lock today, the lockie said the 'problem' boats were being moved on, and that one of them had been there for four years.

We passed Tesco's mooring this afternoon and it looks there's maintenance going on, or are the moorings being extended?

4-11-500x382.jpg

4-12-500x352.jpg

16 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

I've heard a lot of complaints that boaters can't get to temporarily moor at Tescos in Reading, due to long term moorers hogging the moorings.

While going through Marsh Lock today, the lockie said the 'problem' boats were being moved on, and that one of them had been there for four years.

We passed Tesco's mooring this afternoon and it looks there's maintenance going on, or are the moorings being extended?

4-11-500x382.jpg

4-12-500x352.jpg

Ooh, that looks nice. I have managed to get on the mooring there in the past but I have also been tied up to a couple of trees a couple of times like those boats in the distance. 

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You may wish to read this, I don't know how it effects things seeing the number of boats moored there in the photo 

It does look like someone's has listened to you. Thank you!

I guess having the boats removed from the mooring is still a work in progress

are they being extended or just replaced?

the wooden part there was lethal last time I used it, about 20% of the planks were rotten so you had to tread very carefully

8 hours ago, Jess-- said:

are they being extended or just replaced?

the wooden part there was lethal last time I used it, about 20% of the planks were rotten so you had to tread very carefully

I don't know for sure Jess, but I guess the planks are being replaced as I didn't see any heavy lifting gear for the beams, but then that could have moved. I haven't passed there before.

Edited by Jennifer McM
spell'n

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you want to see the latest on the signage and moorings outside Tesco at Reading then maybe have a look at this blog http://noproblem.org.uk/blog/the-day-after-as-we-pass-through-reading-to-sonning/

Fascinating ,all that Hullaballoo about controlling Moorings and then involving Car parking outfits(Who No one approves of in General?) and it all goes back to the Mess that it has always been!

Whe will be going through Reading next week, and I was only explaining to my wife today that we would not be able to stop at Tesco's this time. Not sure what this means, if it 24 hours free how come the CM'rs have moved in, have they got rid of DE and there is no enforcement?

Edited by john6767

Not sure that just covering up the signs means the council-specified mooring regulations don't apply?   It might just mean that District Enforcement will find it difficult to fine someone mooring there for the first time, as they could reasonably claim they don't know the rules.

And any CMer who was thrown off those moorings when they brought the new rules in, but has now moved back, might find they are racking up costs of £100 per day.

Stopped at Tesco last week, three boats on the moorings, new timbers on dock, we got the shopping and moved on. I did notice a  mooring sign on the ground after I moored up stating it was £100 per day to moor. I don't know if Tesco own the moorings but there are no visible notices to boaters mooring up as to what the rules are for these moorings.

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, otfd said:

Stopped at Tesco last week, three boats on the moorings, new timbers on dock, we got the shopping and moved on. I did notice a  mooring sign on the ground after I moored up stating it was £100 per day to moor. I don't know if Tesco own the moorings but there are no visible notices to boaters mooring up as to what the rules are for these moorings.

The moorings are owned by Reading council who, after an "incident" last year (?) appointed District Enforcement to manage that site as well as the whole river frontage in Reading town. These latter have more permanent signage but do not appear to have suffered the same fate as the 'Tesco' moorings.

It's an intractable problem with more and more people moving onto boats to live in the most appalling conditions.

Came through Caversham Lock a couple of days ago and the friendly lady locky told us it had been changed to low short stays on the Tesco moorings for £7.50

We didn't stop and look closely at the signage, most if which has been spray-painted over.

It was interesting to note that Remenham (below Henley) there are signs by DE fixed 10 feet up the trees and impossible to read. I took a photo and zoomed in to read the small print and was pleasantly surprised to see that it merely said that if the authorised mooring authority (which is still SRB moorings) asks you for payment and you refuse to pay then you will be reported to DE who will charge you £200 per incident. We happily paid the friendly collector the usual £10 for 24 hours

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

Came through Caversham Lock a couple of days ago and the friendly lady locky told us it had been changed to low short stays on the Tesco moorings for £7.50

We didn't stop and look closely at the signage, most if which has been spray-painted over.

It was interesting to note that Remenham (below Henley) there are signs by DE fixed 10 feet up the trees and impossible to read. I took a photo and zoomed in to read the small print and was pleasantly surprised to see that it merely said that if the authorised mooring authority (which is still SRB moorings) asks you for payment and you refuse to pay then you will be reported to DE who will charge you £200 per incident. We happily paid the friendly collector the usual £10 for 24 hours

Big deal! (not) the overnight mooring for anyone daft enough to moor there is 'only' £9.50, so not much of a discount to shop. I wonder if Tesco will stump up the charge as they have done at least once before?

Poor Steve (S R-B) must be getting desperate if he's had to resort to DE's tactics to discourage on co-operative moorers.  They're great moorings for a wonderful view and peace and quiet - There's a pub not far away as well!

Edited by OldGoat

We came past the Tesco moorings in Reading today, I could not see any signs at all.  There were three narrowboats on the pontoon part, that looked as though they were stopped for shopping, and at the downstream end of the area there is a CM’er encampment.  We were not in need of shopping, but if I has never heard any of this there was nothing in the way of signage that would have discouraged me from stopping.  So not sure what the story there is now.

One down side is that the nice moorings at Sonning have a DE sign up, £10 for 24 hours, and the hotel no longer has patrons mooring, I passed on the DE offer and carried on to Shiplake.

13 minutes ago, john6767 said:

We came past the Tesco moorings in Reading today, I could not see any signs at all.  There were three narrowboats on the pontoon part, that looked as though they were stopped for shopping, and at the downstream end of the area there is a CM’er encampment.  We were not in need of shopping, but if I has never heard any of this there was nothing in the way of signage that would have discouraged me from stopping.  So not sure what the story there is now.

One down side is that the nice moorings at Sonning have a DE sign up, £10 for 24 hours, and the hotel no longer has patrons mooring, I passed on the DE offer and carried on to Shiplake.

Are you saying the 24 hour EA mooring above Sonning Lock is now signed as a £10 chrage?

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Are you saying the 24 hour EA mooring above Sonning Lock is now signed as a £10 chrage?

No not those, those ones are TVM, so I assume are free for first 24 hours, but there is piling work going on there at the moment.

I was referring to the ones downstream of the bridge on the right, just past the hotel.  Not surprising there were no boats on them.

Just now, john6767 said:

No not those, those ones are TVM, so I assume are free for first 24 hours, but there is piling work going on there at the moment.

I was referring to the ones downstream of the bridge on the right, just past the hotel.  Not surprising there were no boats on them.

They seem to have been marked "no mooring" since about  a year after the extensive bank works there were completed.

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

They seem to have been marked "no mooring" since about  a year after the extensive bank works there were completed.

Last time we were here was I think 5 years ago, they were being used then.  Anyway they are not no mooring now, but £10 to DE.

It is the moorings on the left after the bridge that used to be good and free but have been marked as No Mooring after the bank repair works. On the right (the hotel side) they were bought by Uri Geller some years ago and immediately became chargeable by the clever means of giving a premium rate phone number for you to call which charged the mooring fee to your phone as soon as the call connected; these are the ones which now carry the DE signs.

• Horror 1

3 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

It is the moorings on the left after the bridge that used to be good and free but have been marked as No Mooring after the bank repair works. On the right (the hotel side) they were bought by Uri Geller some years ago and immediately became chargeable by the clever means of giving a premium rate phone number for you to call which charged the mooring fee to your phone as soon as the call connected; these are the ones which now carry the DE signs.

Thanks for the info, the other side there is marked no mooring, and I think it was that way when we were last there, so not new.  On the hotel side there were boats there last time, but none this time at all.  I don’t mind paying, but £10 seems steep for where it is, and the fact it is DE is off putting.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

What does a narrowboat who’s stopped for shopping look like then? ;)

Not like a CM'er, mostly a small cruiser covered in junk with the bank next to it with assorted junk.  I am sure you can make a good stab at telling the difference, if not you need to get out more :)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1