Macclesfield closure

larryjc

Featured Posts

Just in case some have missed it the Macc is closed at Macclesfield.  Apparently there is an underwater breach which has leaked into someones house.  The section has been drained and they are now removing fish but are not sure how long it will take.  So what with Middlewhich and Marple, this section of the system is looking bad.  We were lucky and were past it the previous day but I feel sorry for all those who decided to go up to Bugsworth as an alternative to other routes which are closed.

Edited by larryjc

I spoke to one of the C&RT men working where the leak is this morning. It's a very small hole, easy to see because there was a tiny "whirlpool". They're hoping to have it fixed today, so that the canal would be open for the weekend. It was almost completely dewatered when I walked past at 12.30, and they seemed to be ready to start plugging the hole. 

9 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Open again now.

The C&RT man I was talking to yesterday morning said they might need to do more work later, but they'll wait till winter when there are less boats moving. Their priority was to get the canal open for Bank Holiday weekend.