Widebeam at Alvecote

kawaton

Featured Posts

I noticed an ex Canaltime widebeam boat at Alvecote yesterday.  (Don't have a picture as left phone at home unfortunately)

Can't for the life of me understand why a widebeam would be there.

Glascote locks on one side, and Atherstone on the other, creating a max 10 mile cruising radius.

Why would someone pay to have it craned in, with such limited cruising range?  Am I missing something?

Alvecote was formerly a CanalTime base, and  they had some vessels which were hired out as static floating holiday flats. Doubtless, this has been one of them.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Alvecote was formerly a CanalTime base, and  they had some vessels which were hired out as static floating holiday flats. Doubtless, this has been one of them.

I walk past there 3/4 times a week, for last 8 years....never seen it before. 

Even when canaltime were in existence I'd have expected this at Sawley....but not a widebeam at Alvecote as it cant go anywhere

2 minutes ago, billS said:

Do people really spend their holidays in Alvecote?

Don't knock it....there is the Samuel Barlow, a go kart track and.....erm......well that's it

8 minutes ago, kawaton said:

Even when canaltime were in existence I'd have expected this at Sawley....but not a widebeam at Alvecote as it cant go anywhere

Consider a choice maybe of a poxy flat surrounded by god knows who in say Coventry or.............you own boat not surrounded by idiots that can move to rural spot if you want it to? I absolutely know which I would pick.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Consider a choice maybe of a poxy flat surrounded by god knows who in say Coventry or.............you own boat not surrounded by idiots that can move to rural spot if you want it to? I absolutely know which I would pick.

Agreed....Personally (being the key word) though I would go with the latter option on a narrowboat.....but I hear you.

not knocking it....just never seen a wide beam around here before...thought it odd. 

It may have been tucked away in the marina somewhere as Athy mentioned.....and yesterday was the first time our paths have crossed with it being on the towpath.

http://www.alvecotemarina.co.uk/narrowcraft/brokerage/for-sale/del-boy/

can be seen just behind this boat.

17 minutes ago, kawaton said:

But, as those Canaltime craft typically have no engine, it wouldn't be going anywhere no matter where you moored it.

(Some people who have met Canaltime craft on the move may breathe a sigh of relief at this).

3 hours ago, Tanglewood said:

presumably not cc'ing...

Assuming it is capable of getting under the low bridges in the area (which i doubt) it is limited to a 7 mile stretch.

It is probably the bote I took a photo of the other day in the thread entitled "March of the Widebeams".

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Assuming it is capable of getting under the low bridges in the area (which i doubt) it is limited to a 7 mile stretch.

It is probably the bote I took a photo of the other day in the thread entitled "March of the Widebeams".

aaah yes, i hadn't read that thread.  Same one

Most sensible boat owners recognise waterways that are unsuitable for their boat and don't need rules to prevent them from trying to navigate.

I've covered more miles and taken my widebeam on more waterways than most narrowboaters and I'm yet to navigate a waterway that was unsuitable for my boat.

It always makes me laugh that it's often the same people who complain about a culture of ever increasing regulation on our waterways (and in our country), who then complain and say they want more rules! It's the thin edge of the wedge innit. Once they start regulating width they might come onto length to prevent 70ft+ boats going through unsuitable locks. Be careful what you wish for...

If the widebeam at Alvecote isn't bothering anyone that what is the problem exactly? Or is it just another opportunity to moan? 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

7 hours ago, kawaton said:

not knocking it....just never seen a wide beam around here before...thought it odd. 

46 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If the widebeam at Alvecote isn't bothering anyone that what is the problem exactly? Or is it just another opportunity to moan? 

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, cuthound said:

There are a few wide beams in Alvecote marina, don't know their history but folks seem content spending holiday time on them.

8 hours ago, frahkn said:

There are a few wide beams in Alvecote marina, don't know their history but folks seem content spending holiday time on them.

Yes, I've noticed them before, but never seen one escape the marina onto the cut before ?

There's one in Droitwich Spa Marina - it's a matter of yards in either direction to narrow locks and there's nowhere to wind so there's no possible cruising. Granted, there's a company flogging widebeams just around the corner at Hanbury Wharf, but even that's 3 narrow locks away and is also hemmed in by narrow locks in both directions.  However, having occasionally met them coming the other way on waters which were only just able to accommodate them, I'd prefer they were all similarly locked in unless on suitable navigations.

I hasten to add, I'm not having a pop at widebeams per se - I think similarly about other craft which are inappropriate for much of the canal network, such as yachts, rhibs, ex chuffing lifeboats, etc. If Noah turns up (increasingly likely, it seems, particularly in the London area), I'd add the Ark to that list. ;)