Bank Holiday tied up and secure!!

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

We set off when daughter arrived before lunch and trundled down to Gayton executing a perfect turn and returning half way for a lovely picnic lunch. 

Lots of boats going the other way but only us going our way ?

Dropped her back at her car and then chugged on to find a perfect BBQ stop.

Woke this morning to the wonderful Weedon bells

https://m.facebook.com/sharer.php?fs=8&sid=10155562086222864&__tn__=J*W-R

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We set off when daughter arrived before lunch and trundled down to Gayton executing a perfect turn and returning half way for a lovely picnic lunch. 

Lots of boats going the other way but only us going our way ?

Dropped her back at her car and then chugged on to find a perfect BBQ stop.

Woke this morning to the wonderful Weedon bells

https://m.facebook.com/sharer.php?fs=8&sid=10155562086222864&__tn__=J*W-R

Staying in this brill spot and barby number three of the four allocated for this secure stopover ?

Well I'm sitting in the sunshine on a normally busy part of the T&M, and about half a dozen boats have passed this morning.  So much for the frenetic Bank Holiday weekend.

They included, BTW, that well-known hobbyist DHutch on Emily Anne.

6 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Well I'm sitting in the sunshine on a normally busy part of the T&M, and about half a dozen boats have passed this morning.  So much for the frenetic Bank Holiday weekend.

They included, BTW, that well-known hobbyist DHutch on Emily Anne.

We have probably had fifty pass us this morning I kid you not. Occasionaly some even have " Tickover " fitted as an extra to their boat like mine has.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

how much have you got?

I thought you said you were trying to sell it for 'market value'. If true then you know your asking price and it will do you no harm to say what it is. 

You don't want to sell it at all, I conclude. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I thought you said you were trying to sell it for 'market value'. If true then you know your asking price and it will do you no harm to say what it is. 

You don't want to sell it at all, I conclude. 

There is nothing winds me up more than the lines of boats with bloomin great " For sale " signs in the window without the most basic necessity listed, that is the price or at least shall we say the starting price a total numpty idea not giving a clue as to how much the vendor wishes to sell his item for, it is of course of paramount importance to the transaction.

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

There is nothing winds me up more than the lines of boats with bloomin great " For sale " signs in the window without the most basic necessity listed, that is the price or at least shall we say the starting price a total numpty idea not giving a clue as to how much the vendor wishes to sell his item for, it is of course of paramount importance to the transaction.

I've never understood why people do that. They must lose potential customers who won't call without first having some idea of the likely cost. I know I wouldn't.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Seconded. When it rains again ( wont be long) I shall also have a bash ?

Ah, so you intend to move soon, let us know and  I'll avoid it, coz it only rains when you move ?

Edited by cuthound
To remove duplicated post.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Ah, so you intend to move soon, let us know and  I'll avoid it, coz it only rains when you move ?

You might have a very valid point there.....

Hmmmm could we as a forum start some sort of barby and beer food parcel service to keep the chap from needing to move,  guaranteed decent summer I recon

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

On the subject of using breadmakers for dough, I did this a couple of times but also found it very messy. It did occur to me, but I haven't tried it, that it might be less messy if, after the kneading/rising process finishes, you start the breadmaker going again but on it's normal setting for a minute or two during which time it should bring it all back together into a ball of dough. Perhaps sprinkle a little flour in just before stopping it. You would hopefully then have a lightly floured ball of dough that is easier to remove. It can then be divided and shaped before being left to prove before baking. Worth a try perhaps? 

Ours has a dough setting and Diana tells me it comes out fine when run on that.

Took the family out on a cruise down the river Lark today, heard noises coming from the pumping station museum at Prickwillow and decided to investigate. Them diesels were a wee bit bigger than our Lister.

As you can see, the weather was awful. 

Rob

Sara at Prickwillow.JPG

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

On the subject of using breadmakers for dough, I did this a couple of times but also found it very messy. It did occur to me, but I haven't tried it, that it might be less messy if, after the kneading/rising process finishes, you start the breadmaker going again but on it's normal setting for a minute or two during which time it should bring it all back together into a ball of dough. Perhaps sprinkle a little flour in just before stopping it. You would hopefully then have a lightly floured ball of dough that is easier to remove. It can then be divided and shaped before being left to prove before baking. Worth a try perhaps? 

Ours has a dough setting and Diana tells me it comes out fine when run on that.

This was a separate  posting 

On the L&L we have seen more boats today than in past 3 weeks put together

Edited by ditchcrawler

Well, following MrSmellys advice and cruising again today we had a wonderful time again, the only boat going our way.

The only pinchpoint was a rather large 14' wide shiny blue thing trying to get through Bugbrooke, woman on front waved us away and then took our picture(probably for soshulmedia about nasty boats which dont stop when they are told). I carried on through the gap as the man on the wheel and throttle tried his best to hit everything around with either the boat or washes of mud. One of his boat spotters said "I didnt think you would make it through that gap" - "we're not all that wide and know how to steer, sorry"

Later on, he came back towards his home mooring at Gayton, as he got level with our moored boat, one of his spotters shouted"Boat coming" and he enlisted full throttle to steer right for the length of old friends, its not often I let go but kathy in the galley heard me shout wanker over the Bob Dylan track that was playing in the cabin. He then did the same next to the next moored boat 50 yards away.

He really should be sectioned to his mooring until he gets a boat handling course booked and a tiller fitted, the narrowboat behind him had been on tickover for over an hour.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Perhaps the broker/agent should be the first port of call. The details are all available, with photos. Its a filtering system, otherwise folks would spend their weekends looking round other people's houses, looking for a nice place to burgle.

There are plenty folks up here would take it off my hands at half its valuation, and then what do I do?

Edited by LadyG

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

Perhaps the broker/agent should be the first port of call. The details are all available, with photos. Its a filtering system, otherwise folks would spend their weekends looking round other people's houses, looking for a nice place to burgle.

There are plenty folks up here would take it off my hands at half its valuation, and then what do I do?

If I was looking for a boat or a flat the broker/agent would be my first point of call. But NOT to find out if it was in the price range I was interested in. I would expect to already know the price before making the call otherwise I might be wasting my time calling. So I wouldn't bother. Therefore one potential customer is lost. And, I suspect, many others would be the same.

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

If people won't buy it at the asking price what does that tell you?

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

And no amount of “that’s the going rate for flats in this area” will wash. Because they aren’t going, are they?

Despite not being on the water this fine bank holiday weekend we have had a brilliant time here north of the border.  Yesterday we had a brilliant day in Edinburgh and managed to teach Sydney to swim in the pools outside Holyrood more to cool him down then anything as he was one hot dog. 

20180506_113635.jpg

20180506_112716.jpg

20180506_122149.jpg

20180506_144557.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal

57 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That you don't know the "scottish system"

As far as i can see, no flats like mine have been sold in the last eight months!

and very few houses.

Anyway, I have enuff things to worry about without you lot throwing fuel on the fire.

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

As far as i can see, no flats like mine have been sold in the last eight months!

Because they’re all priced similarly, which is too high?