Bank Holiday tied up and secure!!

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

28 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not where we are. Just spent a lovely morning at Neilston country show and are now heading to Irvine for an afternoon by the coast. 

Lovely mild day.

Well you must have your long johns on , I'm only 20miles to the north, and it's cccccccold.

PS, do you want to buy my flat, open house weekend!

12 minutes ago, Peter X said:

So cargo carrying in narrow boats other than coal is alive and well? Go on, do tell; what is it?

Bags of Salt heading for Droitwich as part of The Ring arts project.

Although it does look a bit like we are drug runners. 

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Bags of Salt heading for Droitwich as part of The Ring arts project.

Although it does look a bit like we are drug runners. 

I bet it's coal really, and they just whitewashed the bags.

Cheers,

MP.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Peter X said:

So cargo carrying in narrow boats other than coal is alive and well? Go on, do tell; what is it?

It's bags of salt for the new jumbo bags of Smith's crisps. ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/05/2018 at 15:35, Dave123 said:

Heading up to Lechlade this weekend. The South Oxford has been very quiet all week, only 8 boats passed all day on Tuesday when it was sunny. Expect the upper Thames will be even quieter

We're on our way to Lechlade, moored (before Goring) to make the most of the glorious sun - give us a wave if you pass 

Edited by Jennifer McM

Took the dog for a walk this afternoon around Braunston. Very quiet, only saw one boat on the move in the hour we were there. Plenty of vacant mooring spaces.

P.S. visited the butcher and bought some Braunston Bangers, have them on the barby later, mmmmmm.

Edited by Ray T

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Well you must have your long johns on , I'm only 20miles to the north, and it's cccccccold.

PS, do you want to buy my flat, open house weekend!

Took a layer off before we went on the beach! 

Ok it wasn't sunny but it was lovely weather to be outdoors.

20180505_132114.jpg

Ps. I don't want your flat :)

Edited by Naughty Cal

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

P.S. visited the butcher and bought some Braunston Bangers, have them on the barby later, mmmmmm.

That's what I'd be doing too if it weren't for the fact that the weather was so shit when we were in Braunston this time last week that I couldn't be bothered to walk from boat to butchers. I'm regretting it now! (Had them before so I know how good they are.)

Plenty of mooring space in Abingdon this afternoon. Up to about 2.30 pm about 40 boats had been through the lock c/w a daily average of less than 10 last week. Only one went through in the half hour I was there.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Took a layer off before we went on the beach! 

Ok it wasn't sunny but it was lovely weather to be outdoors.

20180505_132114.jpg

Ps. I don't want your flat :)

The Sun did finally come out in Ayrshire. 

20180505_171446.jpg

7 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Currently heading up the Severn.

IMG_20180505_124759984.jpg.8fe1576d129e68722d1ea1dbe2600d9c.jpg

Nice!! :D

2 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

That's what I'd be doing too if it weren't for the fact that the weather was so shit when we were in Braunston this time last week that I couldn't be bothered to walk from boat to butchers. I'm regretting it now! (Had them before so I know how good they are.)

Plenty of mooring space in Abingdon this afternoon. Up to about 2.30 pm about 40 boats had been through the lock c/w a daily average of less than 10 last week. Only one went through in the half hour I was there.

Another fab barby just finished and awaiting another barby tomoz ?

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Nice!! :D

Another fab barby just finished and awaiting another barby tomoz ?

Managed to have a barby, unfortunately it had be in the garden rather than beside the boat and it was sans Braunston bangers. Still, Porky Whites in homemade sourdough rolls washed down with Fullers ESB ain't bad.

1 minute ago, Lily Rose said:

Managed to have a barby, unfortunately it had be in the garden rather than beside the boat and it was sans Braunston bangers. Still, Porky Whites in homemade sourdough rolls washed down with Fullers ESB ain't bad.

Sounds great. 

Do tell more about the home made sour dough rolls. I can't get to grips with hand making dough. I resort to the bread makimng machine, then it is horrendously messy getting the dough out and forming it into roll-sized blobs for baking. 

How do you do yours please?

Felt we ought to move yesterday, so we did. Came through a couple of locks where there were hire boats waiting. All male crews, Margaret operating the locks (her choice). Me assisting whenever. Margaret struggling opening gates. Not one offer of help from the Herbert's. Suitable comments made and advice offered as we departed. 

So, I agree with MrSmelly, stay put, secure securely and have food and beverage. Watch the world go by. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Sounds great. 

Do tell more about the home made sour dough rolls. I can't get to grips with hand making dough. I resort to the bread makimng machine, then it is horrendously messy getting the dough out and forming it into roll-sized blobs for baking. 

How do you do yours please?

I've got a bread machine but haven't used it for a couple of years as I'm very happy, after much experimenting, with the method I now use. I can also use this method when we're on the boat when I couldn't and wouldn't use a breadmaker (takes up too much space on 45' boat and my inverter is not man enough).

I use an overnight, virtually no-knead method. It takes a long time from start to finish but hardly any of that involves work. Using yeast rather than sourdough starter does make the process a bit quicker but I don't think it's as nice as sourdough and also sourdough keeps much better.

I will be wanting some fresh bread and rolls for tomorrow's bbq so I've fed my starter this morning. Before bedtime tonight I will measure out the dry ingredients. Amounts vary, but usually in the same ratio, which tonight will be 200g wholemeal, 600g white, 8g salt. (I find 25% wholemeal gives good flavour without affecting the rise very much)

After mixing together with a spoon I'll add 200g starter (if using yeast I'd probably use no more than 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon if leaving overnight) and then water at 60% hydration so 800g * 60% = 480g.

I'll stir this together with a spoon until there are no dry ingredients visible. All this will take about 5 minutes and it will then be covered and left overnight.

First thing tomorrow the dough, which will be about doubled in size, will be transferred to whatever cooking tins I'm going to use. It could go in directly without any kneading but a quick knead, less than 1 minute, results in a more pleasing look but it is optional. As I'm making rolls a quick knead makes dividing and shaping a lot easier.

I will do a brief knead then divide into two. Half will go into a small greased non-stop loaf tin to make a small loaf. I'll spread a little olive oil on top (stops the cling film sticking but also makes a tasty crust) cover and put aside to prove until doubled in size. The other half will be divided up into pieces about 60g to 90g for rolls or about 170g for large baps and then placed on a tray. I'm going to experiment with a 4 hole Yorkshire pudding tray tomorrow but normally I just use a roasting tin or similar. Wipe or brush with olive oil and cover with cling film and leave until doubled in size.

If this is taking longer than I want (unlikely in current temperatures) I might hurry it along by putting into the oven on defrost setting (at home) or placing over a saucepan of very warm water (on the boat).

All will go in the oven at 230C for 15 minutes, then turned and left at 200C for another 5 minutes for rolls and 10 to 15 minutes for the loaves.

On the subject of using breadmakers for dough, I did this a couple of times but also found it very messy. It did occur to me, but I haven't tried it, that it might be less messy if, after the kneading/rising process finishes, you start the breadmaker going again but on it's normal setting for a minute or two during which time it should bring it all back together into a ball of dough. Perhaps sprinkle a little flour in just before stopping it. You would hopefully then have a lightly floured ball of dough that is easier to remove. It can then be divided and shaped before being left to prove before baking. Worth a try perhaps? 

Edited by Lily Rose
Spelling
  • Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Blimey thanks Lily Rose. That post will keep me occupied for a few weeks of experimenting!!

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on.

Have you tried making sourdough?

I made my starter just over a year ago and now love sourdough so much that I've probably used yeast no more than 2 or 3 times since. It feels much more satisfying to be using nothing but flour and water plus a little salt, the bread is much nicer, it keeps longer and makes brilliant toast.

Edited by Lily Rose

Just now, Lily Rose said:

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on.

Have you tried making sourdough?

I made my starter just over a year ago and now love sourdough so much that I've probably used yeast no more than 2 or 3 times since. It feels much more satisfying to be using nothing but flour and water plus a little salt, the bread is much nicer, it keeps longer and makes brilliant toast.

No I haven't. I was intrigued as to what the 'starter' you wrote about actually was, but thought I'd google rather than bombard you with more questions!

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Blimey thanks Lily Rose. That post will keep me occupied for a few weeks of experimenting!!

Seconded. When it rains again ( wont be long) I shall also have a bash ?

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No I haven't. I was intrigued as to what the 'starter' you wrote about actually was, but thought I'd google rather than bombard you with more questions!

I guess you found this from that nice Mr Hollywood?

http://paulhollywood.com/recipes/sourdough-starter/

(I did the same as you)

I didn't say anything about how to create and maintain a starter as there are millions of articles and YouTube videos out there.

I will just say it is easier than I expected and a small jar of starter will sit happily in the fridge unattended for weeks if you don't want to make the bread regularly.

I did buy a nice Kilner style jar, similar to the one used in the Hobbs Bakery videos (TV's Fabulous Baking Boys/Brothers), but don't use it as a jam jar, or smaller, is big enough when you only need the small amounts required for overnight no-knead methods and it takes up much less space in my fairly small 12v fridge.

23 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I guess you found this from that nice Mr Hollywood?

http://paulhollywood.com/recipes/sourdough-starter/

(I did the same as you)

I just read that article. The method I used, in common with almost every other  article/video I saw, involved nothing but  flour and water, not an apple in sight. Unless you glanced over at the fruit bowl.

The process to create a starter seems wasteful of flour but the discard can be used to make tasty pancakes, scallions etc. Once the starter is up and running there is no more waste.