Warks Avon on red.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Anyone in the Stratford area, be warned that even though the river in the town is on yellow and quite benign, below Weir Brake lock it's 20cm over the lock landing and firmly in the red. Not a problem for us, it's a lovely mooring, though the plan to stay here a day and then go back up the canal may need to be modified. I don't think the lock cut is wide enough to wind, and my normal practise, to reverse out of the lock cut and wind above the weir, would be foolhardy in the extreme today.

The level is falling, so we should be able to get down the lock and turn there before we need to get back.

MP.

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

Thanks for that, we will be in Stratford in a weeks time and will probably go down the Avon a bit, coming back to Stratford though so not too far down.

May see you in passing then, we plan to be in Brum by about this time next week.

MP.

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

May see you in passing then, we plan to be in Brum by about this time next week.

MP.

We should be at Lapworth by Tuesday, we need to be in Stratford for Friday night as we have tickets for the theatre.

The Avon is one of those “exciting” rivers. I have not boated there for over 25 years, but it was where my first narrow boating was done, and have many happy memories of thrashing upstream against a lot of fresh and then hammering downstream in a sort of controlled manner.

Going past the side-weirs below the lock in Stratford was very, err, wiggly and the power required to keep directional control combined with the flow meant we shot under the bridge at quite a rate. 2cm into yellow below Weir Brake this morning. I'm still not going to wind above the weir though.

MP.

On 04/05/2018 at 10:33, MoominPapa said:

Going past the side-weirs below the lock in Stratford was very, err, wiggly and the power required to keep directional control combined with the flow meant we shot under the bridge at quite a rate. 2cm into yellow below Weir Brake this morning. I'm still not going to wind above the weir though.

MP.

Hum, not got the anchor on the boat, I think I might get a taxi to home from Lapworth to get it!

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

Hum, not got the anchor on the boat, I think I might get a taxi to home from Lapworth to get it!

You're welcome to borrow ours. Will certainly not need it before we'll see you at the BCN challenge. 

Currently at Wilmcote and heading to Lapworth then into Brum via the GU. Left Weir brake this morning and all green. Winded above the weir without incident or concern.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa