Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
mark99

Resign Threshold - TSB

Featured Posts

"Mr Pester argued that the migration of billions of customer records was successful "to the penny".

The underlying engine of the bank was working well, he said, and most customers could log in normally, although there was an immediate angry reaction from those customers who could not make payments or get into the system."

I would totally LURVE to hear the opinion of the developers who worked on the migration. I bloody bet to a man (or woman), they all said they weren't ready to migrate and predicted it would be a total disaster, but were overruled by a non-technical 'manager'.

• Greenie 1

Goddam migrants.

Coming over here and stealing our financial competence.

• Haha 2

However, is it ever a good idea to resign during a period of crisis? Surely it is better that he digs the bank out of this shit and THEN resigns. If he resigns now, who will run the show and how long does it take to recruit a new boss? How long does it take that new boss to have much idea how things work? At least he has declined his 2mil bonus.

• Greenie 3

Just now, nicknorman said:

At least he has declined his 2mil bonus.

I wonder if it will be replaced by a £2mil golden parachute...

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, carlt said:

I wonder if it will be replaced by a £2mil golden parachute...

thats for dropping in, he;ll need a golden handshake for departure

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No they are both paid on departure although you are right the Golden Handshake is more accurate as a Golden Parachute is agreed beforehand as part of the employment contract.

Mind you...He's probably got one of those coming too.

I am with TSB was told it wouldnt work for weekend [internet banking] first time I tried it it worked no issue. Because of others having problems my 3% interest has been upped to 5%. I have to say the TSB has been one of the better bank accounts I have had

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

Surely in his case a golden boot (up the jacksy) would be more appropriate? 🤔

• Haha 1

Part of the problem seems to be that the system is failing due to the volume of enquiries ... which is kinda obviously results from everyone constantly trying to log in because they have seen the news about all the problems so they want to check their account. They then complain that they can't access their account and are afraid that it has been compromised ... there were one or two reported instances where someone saw the wrong details and they have been repeatedly reported and so everyone thinks its a common problem.

I agree that the tech staff probably didn't want a big bang conversion and/or weren't ready to go but were overruled by senior management  - which is where the fault really lies.

• Greenie 2

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

"Mr Pester argued that the migration of billions of customer records was successful "to the penny".

The underlying engine of the bank was working well, he said, and most customers could log in normally, although there was an immediate angry reaction from those customers who could not make payments or get into the system."

I would totally LURVE to hear the opinion of the developers who worked on the migration. I bloody bet to a man (or woman), they all said they weren't ready to migrate and predicted it would be a total disaster, but were overruled by a non-technical 'manager'.

Quite likely, as a developer I found that manager's attitudes to the risks of an implementation varied a lot. Some were eager to cut corners, some just went with my opinion every time, having worked with me a while and learned that I wrote and tested programs properly, concentrating on the critical aspects of a program that would be hard to put right if they failed. Some were always looking for reasons not to implement anything, reasoning that this would protect their career because top management will notice a big failure like TSB's but may be less likely to notice a manager whose projects overrun.

Shirley from his point of view as a banker it is an ideal situation. The bank has all its customers money, but they can't get at it, or take it out. I can sort of understand his surprise that the banks customers think this is a problem. Hence the pride in all the data being migrated with no errors and the customer front end being borked considered a minor glitch.

Jen

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Removed my money yesterday. Had enough! 

We switched banks in Febuary from Nationwide and I nearly chose the TSB.

I'm bloody glad we didn't.

Edited by MJG

On 06/05/2018 at 09:35, Jen-in-Wellies said:

the customer front end being borked 

The English language is a thing of constant wonder - and sometimes of incomprehensibility.

Just now, Athy said:

incomprehensibility

Pls use shorter words til after 11am.

Thanks

Just now, rusty69 said:

Pls

But not as short as that.

40 minutes ago, Athy said:

The English language is a thing of constant wonder - and sometimes of incomprehensibility.

I've noticed "borked" in widespread use amongst boaters for at about ten years, but it sounds to me like one of those words coined by say, the RAF during the war. A corruption of 'broked', being the past tense of the verb to break, I suspect. 

Gonna look it up now!

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've noticed "borked" in widespread use amongst boaters for at about ten years, but it sounds to me like one of those words coined by say, the RAF during the war. A corruption of 'broked', being the past tense of the verb to break, I suspect. 

I have never seen it. I assume that it's either a word of Jen's own invention, or a variation upon the better-known "baulked", meaning impeded or hindered.

But as for the customer's front end, the mind boggles, or perhaps borkles....

Edited by Athy

Update:

It's an 1980s term from the USA. Huh. 

Bork is the name of an american judge who rubbished the reputation of political opponents, broadly speaking. So borked meant your reputation was dragged through the mud.

It was immediately adopted by Unix computer programmers too, to describe something (anything) that used to work but now doesn't, for no apparent reason. E.g. "Oh no, that expensive new 1.3mB hard drive we installed for the customer last week is borked". 

As illustrated on this very forum, lots of of the functions in Windows machines get borked these days.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Fiddle with spelling and grammar

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Bork is the name of an american judge who rubbished the reputation of political opponents, broadly speaking so borked, meant your reputation was dragged through the mud.

My quick Google suggests it's the other way round. Robert Bork was nominated as a Supreme Court Justice by Ronald Reagan, but his appointment was blocked by others because of his conservative views. Since when having one's progress blocked has been described as being "borked". The techies then adopted the term for something which no longer works.