Can you barge your way onto the housing ladder ?

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Sounds interesting, but unfortunately it looks as if one has to subscribe to the F.T. in order to read it.

Some quotes from those interviewed :

"Some of the worst problems are even less palatable than broken composting loos".

"Mr James says he spent about £1,500 just on maintenance in the first year".

"......my costs won’t be that different from what I pay now to live in north London".

"The number of boats in the capital rose from 2,330 in March 2012 to 4,000 in March 2017".

"the trust is cracking down on boaters who flout the rules by lingering too long in one place"

"Residential mooring permits are expensive, particularly in London."

"Recently, a (MOORING) spot on the coveted Broadway Market stretch sold for £12,500"

• Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Sounds interesting, but unfortunately it looks as if one has to subscribe to the F.T. in order to read it.

Monevator Weekend Reading (last weekend's edition: http://monevator.com/weekend-reading-are-buy-to-let-landlords-terrible-people/) usually includes several Google links to FT articles. Apparently linking to Google, rather than directly to the FT, allows you to see the full article without a subscription. I don't know why this works but it does seem to whenever I try it.

I just put the words   barge housing ladder   into Bing, rather than Google, and then followed the first link and this has opened up the full article for me.

I haven't read it yet, will do later, but I did hear the author of the article discussing it on the FT Money podcast a few weeks ago and felt that it sounded much more sensible and realistic than I was expecting.

• Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

I should think it is possible, buy a shell, fit it out, sell it, repeat, etc. But, more difficult than years ago and you really must grow into a very handy person indeed, that is important and to be honest I think you must really like boats and absorb a lot of knowledge or you will end up living in a worthless project for ever. It will not be quick either and you will not be living on expensive moorings whilst you do it. That's what I did anyway but everything is more difficult now. And the music was better then, and so was the beer, and the weather was better, and you could tell the difference between men and women and tomatoes tasted better, grumble grumble.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Bee said:

...and tomatoes tasted better...

... as did strawberries, apples, pears, nectarines, potatoes, sprouts and cabbage. 

Edited by WotEver
Spillung

On 02/05/2018 at 11:03, Alan de Enfield said:

Some quotes from those interviewed :

"Some of the worst problems are even less palatable than broken composting loos".

"Mr James says he spent about £1,500 just on maintenance in the first year".

"......my costs won’t be that different from what I pay now to live in north London".

"The number of boats in the capital rose from 2,330 in March 2012 to 4,000 in March 2017".

"the trust is cracking down on boaters who flout the rules by lingering too long in one place"

"Residential mooring permits are expensive, particularly in London."

"Recently, a (MOORING) spot on the coveted Broadway Market stretch sold for £12,500"

How do you break a composting loo??

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Sounds like your taste buds are sulphated.  Time for new ones?

Nahh... buy a nectarine from the supermarket. It’s hard and has a label saying ‘ripen at home’. So you wait, and you wait, then suddenly one day it’s soft. By the time you’ve grabbed a plate it’s gone soggy and mouldy. 

• Happy 1

43 minutes ago, welly said:

How do you break a composting loo??

On 02/05/2018 at 11:03, Alan de Enfield said:

Well that's obvious. Even the CRT know. Don't sit on it too long!

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, WotEver said:

Nahh... buy a nectarine from the supermarket. It’s hard and has a label saying ‘ripen at home’. So you wait, and you wait, then suddenly one day it’s soft. By the time you’ve grabbed a plate it’s gone soggy and mouldy. 

"Ripen at home" means "unripe". How can it mean anything else?

I imagine Bill Morrison wouldn't sell many if they were labelled as such, though.

• Happy 1

"Recently, a spot on the coveted Broadway Market stretch sold for £12,500, more than the cost of some of the barges floating there. "

What this doesn't make clear is that the £12,500 is an annual charge.

33 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

"Recently, a spot on the coveted Broadway Market stretch sold for £12,500, more than the cost of some of the barges floating there. "

What this doesn't make clear is that the £12,500 is an annual charge.

They were just bullet points of a very long FT article that folks didn't want to subscribe to, to read.

14 hours ago, cuthound said:

Sounds like your taste buds are sulphated.  Time for new ones?

It is the case that as you get older, your tastebuds stop renewing themselves so much, so your taste experience loses subtlety. The upside to this is that cheap wine now tastes as good as the £10 a bottle stuff.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They were just bullet points of a very long FT article that folks didn't want to subscribe to, to read.

I was quoting the article, not the bullet points. the article is not clear.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Dave_P

33 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

The upside to this is that cheap wine now tastes as good as the £10 a bottle stuff.

It always did though ;)

Edited by WotEver
  • Greenie 1