Jump to content

March of the Widebeams


cuthound

Featured Posts

A direct quotation from the Joker's sales blurb: "The owner has offered to have an engine installed and a repaint within the price. Lying".

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

A holiday boat...........in LIVERPOOL!!! ?

Actually, according to the blurb, "Liverpoo".

Edited by Athy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought it was designed to appeal to the caravan market but without those pesky wheel wells getting in the way ...

 

It'll probably cause similar queues behind it if it has ever let loose on a canal. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well you wouldn't miss lay it anywhere, but on another thread residential moorings were being discussed in Liverpool so it looks as if this is on one.

It might make sense for someone who is working in Liverpool - though I imagine that house prices are modest up there, so you wouldn't save much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I did notice that - but when you see a headline with a price 7.5 million times what you'd be prepared to pay I would not often read further.

Or maybe it'll tempt you too look just to see what the hell they think will fetch that ..... and then be so surprised it is within your budget that you fall for the - "install an engine for the price" .

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Wouldn't bother me

 

I remember turning up in some marina in Sardinia and getting put between two monsterous gin palaces in our lumpy water boat, that was about the same height as a sewer tube. It was 'orrible. Never again. Double decker canal boats has to be a no-no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

I remember turning up in some marina in Sardinia and getting put between two monsterous gin palaces in our lumpy water boat, that was about the same height as a sewer tube. It was 'orrible. Never again. Double decker canal boats has to be a no-no.

Bet you would join 'em for a sundowner on that roof terrace though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

IMHO, as a response to this sad but inevitable travesty, what's needed is a breasted pair moored by the main road bridge in Braunston esp at peak wide-beam movement times (which seems to be early on weekday mornings).

 

I certainly won't be reversing for 2.5 miles to accommodate a wide-beam on a narrow canal anytime soon!

 

I suppose we will need an "incident" to make some sense of this whenever both here or elsewhere these craft and their owners try cruising on undisputed narrow canals

 

I have said many times I am not anti wide-beams but this stretch of canal is a step too far but as we all know the horse has bolted.

Edited by Halsey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Athy said:

A good, and thought-provoking, article.

Propelling a boat in reverse is more than a challenge for anyone, with or without a bow thruster, and the ensuing melee would jam the navigation completely.

 

well, seeing as virtually all widebeams are fitted with bowthrusters (whether the tube is blacked or not) - perhaps they should be forced to reverse....and online mooring banned, especially at places like Willoughby.

It would be a better article if, after his rant, he went back to check his article before posting as I'm sure paddle boards have been across the Ponty Aqueduct, not pedal boarding across the Pontcysyllte near Llangollen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Athy said:

A good, and thought-provoking, article.

But only in some way - for the most part it does not look at the issue in enough depth to form a real judgement. For example, we do not know whether CaRT actually have the powers to introduce a width restriction as demanded. Whenever CaRT allegedly exceed their powers, plenty of boaters are all too ready to jump into the attack. 

 

That said, a booking scheme, as with the tunnels, could go a long way to alleviate the problem, especially if it imposed a good ahead-of-time notice period and confined the transits to very specific and under-used times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That said, a booking scheme, as with the tunnels, could go a long way to alleviate the problem, especially if it imposed a good ahead-of-time notice period and confined the transits to very specific and under-used times.

Fatties can use the canal 10pm to 6am

Skinnies can use the canal 6:01am to 9:59 pm

 

Skinnies get longer because there are more of them

 

Eire (Ireland) is looking to get closer to 'Europe' and are planning to introduce driving on the right, but are looking to do it progressively, the plan is that initially cars heading 'North' will drive on the left whilst those heading South will drive on the Right.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

But only in some way - for the most part it does not look at the issue in enough depth to form a real judgement. For example, we do not know whether CaRT actually have the powers to introduce a width restriction as demanded. Whenever CaRT allegedly exceed their powers, plenty of boaters are all too ready to jump into the attack. 

 

That said, a booking scheme, as with the tunnels, could go a long way to alleviate the problem, especially if it imposed a good ahead-of-time notice period and confined the transits to very specific and under-used times.

Apparently CRT notices have been stuck on a couple of widebeams up on the Leicester summit section informing them that they are not allowed out of North Kilworth as it is a narrow waterway(which it IS!). Whether these have any legal grounding or have been taken notice of, I know not yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.