March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, haggis said:

While this all very interesting ? what has happened to the stuck widebeam? 

Haggis

last I saw on the Facebook thread was that CRT were going to crane it out?!?

starting to wonder if this boat belongs to a high-ranking CRT employee as I can't see them going to all this bother for a regular Joe Public

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

last I saw on the Facebook thread was that CRT were going to crane it out?!?

starting to wonder if this boat belongs to a high-ranking CRT employee as I can't see them going to all this bother for a regular Joe Public

Thank you for the info. Like you, I wonder why this boat is getting all this attention. Hopefully CRT will be reimbursed.

haggis

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Haggis

Still there this morning.

As to craning out, it might be cheaper than some other solutions I’ve heard were being proposed which involved dewatering and alterations to the walls below water level.

Who’s paying? Let’s take a wild guess...

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I never realised there was a special tool for cutting gas.

Ho ho ho*. There isn't one for mowing petrol either.

*(Less than 6 months until Christmas, must get into training).

Edited by Athy

Still there and nobody knows what happens next, including the boat owner.  If CRT do they're not telling anyone; probably still considering the options.

Edited by davidg

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

There best be a large bill heading in the owners direction for all the time & materials that have been used. Especially if the boat is found bigger than 12ft 6in 

From earlier in the thread :

"Based on the width reported by the owner - 4m ………………..."

4m is roughly 13' 2"

If the solution required to resolve the issue of this boat stuck because of a bridge that's been known about for around a hundred years isn't made public, then a big lesson will be missed.

* Boat owners/buyers/those commissioning new build blinded by the amount of space versus a narrow boat won't realise they can't trust builders or C&RT to not allow a cock up to happen.

* C&RT needing to face up to their responsibility and need to step in earlier than the moment it all goes breasted up.

* C&RT should be authorised at a local level but not to the extent of hacking away at the infrastructure in search of a short term solution, that's called Knee Jerk.

* Responsibilities and repercussions levelled not ignored or brushed under the carpet.

Failing to do so, will result in nothing more than it happening again …… and again.

The bridge was built the way it is, it shouldn't have come as a surprise to the builder.  Surely it's protected and not to be messed with.

All interested partners ( owner, builder & C&RT) can not duck their responsibilities in this fracas.

If an enquiry results in the owner putting up the defence "I looked on the C&RT site it said wide beam all the way to London" The builder saying "We just met the owners instructions they said what they wanted and we did it, they might have been taking it out by road" And C&RT saying "We don't read the licence application for such detail.  We had a tariff that matched it, we expect the owner to do the research"  Then everybody looks stupid.  I'd have thought the builder has most to lose in looking stupid.  Imagine considering investing hundreds of thousands of pounds with a builder who doesn't know or has the cojones to step up to the mark and say "That doesn't sound feasible"

I have no sympathy for any of them really.  The main question in my mind is who told the C&RT men to leave the coping stones balanced on the edge of the towpath.  Because if they're still there it's nothing more than a fluke that they're not adding to the restricted passage by lying on the bed of the cut! 

On 26/06/2019 at 13:39, haggis said:

Haggis

Good question. If the thread doesn’t get back on track I might notice that there are folk who showed their displeasure at talk of steam trains in the historics for sale thread that are taking this thread off topic. ?

20 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Good question. If the thread doesn’t get back on track I might notice that there are folk who showed their displeasure at talk of steam trains in the historics for sale thread that are taking this thread off topic. ?

I would refer m'learned friend to post no 590. As of 6pm this evening.

27 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Perhaps someone should commission a northern boat builder to build them a 72' narrowboat to get all those short locks lengthened when they try to bring it South by water.

Thing is Rob that I don’t recall anyone has actually confirmed who moved the copings or the actual width of the boat. I am mindful of the K&A thread where some members had posted on the assumption it was the boater’s fault only for the boater to come on and demonstrate that wasn’t true.

If this is a Delta Marine boat as suggested they have built a number of boats of this style and I think it unlikely they would have built a boat wider than the established dimensions of the canal on which they have their yard. As stated above this is a width of 12’ 6” rather than 14’ which interestingly is the case for the whole canal north of Berkhamsted.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg