March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Some weeks ago there was discussion if a fat boat could get through Norton Junction up the Leicester arm, well there is a fat boat in the marina at Welton the one nearest Watford Locks

That's been there a few years now, I think there are 2 in there now, you can get a 12 foot wide up to the locks and wind it in the hole, not easy, but just about do-able.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

It is reported that CRT are currently dealing with an unbooked widebeam owner who forced a hire boat to reverse out of Blisworth tunnel a couple of weeks ago.

What are they planning to do about it, I wonder...

Write them a stiffly worded letter?

I am imagining the scene...

Middle of the tunnel, hire narrowboat minding their own business passing through the tunnel perfectly legitimately. Meets fat bustard that shouldn't be there, head on. Bow to bow discussion ensues:

You reverse out, you're not supposed to be in the tunnel.

No YOU reverse out, we are more important than you because our boat is considerably bigger than yours and you are JUST a hire boat.

Oh, ok then....

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

Middle of the tunnel, hire narrowboat minding their own business passing through the tunnel perfectly legitimately. Meets fat bustard that shouldn't be there, head on. Bow to bow discussion ensues:

No YOU reverse out, we are more important than you because our boat is considerably bigger than yours and you are JUST a hire boat.

Oh, ok then....

I would suggest the level of aggression of the skippers and crews could be the deciding factor 

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Oh, ok then....

Or two stubborn boaters, neither prepared to give way, both revving their engines to try and push the other back until all involved are asphyxiated by the diesel fumes...

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Front one looks nice

It does, but it would look nicer on our old mooring at Pollington. It would be barely noticeable there.

I like the colour too. 

48 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Out of interest, how many dry docks of these dimensions are there around for blacking etc?

Baxter's near Yardley Gobbion round here,  charges double fee as they usually black 2 normal boats at the same time. Whilton can lift out, however eye watering price for normal boat so...