March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Tacet said:

Does either of the first two breach legislation?  If so, which enactments?  

Yes (according to Nigel)

I am just reading thru the 1968, 1971 and 1983 acts to find chapter and verse. When I find it I'll post it.

From memory they are legally obliged to give 14 /28 days (cannot remember which) notice to board your boat, or to pass over it to get to another boat) unless they can justify that it is an emergency.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes (according to Nigel)

I am just reading thru the 1968, 1971 and 1983 acts to find chapter and verse. When I find it I'll post it.

From memory they are legally obliged to give 14 /28 days (cannot remember which) notice to board your boat, or to pass over it to get to another boat) unless they can justify that it is an emergency.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way round.  If CRT wishes to use its statutory powers to board a boat, it may well be required to give the required notice.

But if CRT asks nicely to board my boat now - and I agree - there is surely no breach of legislation. 

2 minutes ago, Tacet said:

I think you are looking at this the wrong way round.  If CRT wishes to use its statutory powers to board a boat, it may well be required to give the required notice.

But if CRT asks nicely to board my boat now - and I agree - there is surely no breach of legislation. 

Agreed, but you can refuse they then cannot board your boat - but you have agreed to the T&Cs saying they can board even if you refuse.

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Agreed, but you can refuse they then cannot board your boat - but you have agreed to the T&Cs saying they can board even if you refuse.

Yes - so the T&Cs, in that respect at least do not breach legislation.  Refusal to grant a licence unless you accept all the T&Cs may be a breach.

What would be interesting is someone accepting the T&Cs, obtaining the licence and then withdrawing their agreement to any of the terms that were non-statutory.

22 minutes ago, frangar said:

Let’s hope it’s moved to a more sensible location! It’s not the best looking boat is it? 

Bloody ugly! I have a a widebeam that looks like a boat, but Johnathan Wilson can build curves and they make a difference 

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Bloody ugly! I have a a widebeam that looks like a boat, but Johnathan Wilson can build curves and they make a difference 

Yes, that thing is a bit Brian Bugly. The windows and that wheelhouse don't help.

But it's not because it's a widebeam that it's ugly. A narrowboat in the same style would be just as bad and there are plenty of such monstrosities on the waterways.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

And worst of all: the braces are on the wrong way round on that ledge and braced loo door. If that's what happens in the interior, one can only wonder as to which end they mounted the rudder on!

It doesnt have one.....

24 minutes ago, MtB said:

And a shocking price given the boat cannot even be cruised. 

It must be fun having a bath with a 20 gal water tank....bear in mind the water taps are on a 15 min timer at North Kilworth and you have to operate with a ID tag. Plus running all that mains from a 16A feed could be interesting.....

52 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

And worst of all: the braces are on the wrong way round on that ledge and braced loo door. If that's what happens in the interior, one can only wonder as to which end they mounted the rudder on!

True, but I very much doubt they made their own door. I bet it was £35 from Wickes....

I'm all for different and unusual homes but a 'houseboat' like this is not a house and not even a proper boat. I, for one would much rather have an old horsebox / bus / van that could at least move and I am well aware of the problems of finding a 'mooring' for an old bus.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

Not marching anywhere(no engine), hideous badly finished and the smallest toilet an aintree beetle would snicker at...

Eluthia ABNB

3801wcP.jpg

Plenty of room for a shower, sink and toilet in there with a bit of imagination. If you were really clever you might even fit a bath in.

ETA - just looked at the ad. I didn't realise it was a separate toilet in a bathroom in a big boat. That looks like what I'd expect to find in a small 40 year old self fitted out tug style boat with minimal facilities.

Edited by Captain Pegg

3 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Plenty of room for a shower, sink and toilet in there with a bit of imagination. If you were really clever you might even fit a bath in.

I'm particularly impressed by the standard of wiring in this £110k, engineless boat. 

A nice bit of grey twin & earth hanging unclipped from ceiling to floor behind the bog, with a nice joint in it wrapped in insulating tape I think I can see.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'm particularly impressed by the standard of wiring in this £110k, engineless boat. 

A nice bit of grey twin & earth hanging unclipped from ceiling to floor behind the bog, with a nice joint in it wrapped in insulating tape I think I can see.

It's worse than my efforts and I feel like I'm a good arbiter of these things cos anything worse than my work should not be on the open market.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes, that thing is a bit Brian Bugly. The windows and that wheelhouse don't help.

E r, except that, as it doesn't move, it hasn't got a wheel. That's an upstairs bedroom, or perhaps servant's quarters.

As it is 73 feet long, its movement on canals would probably be only as far as the first lock anyway.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

E r, except that, as it doesn't move, it hasn't got a wheel. That's an upstairs bedroom, or perhaps servant's quarters.

As it is 73 feet long, its movement on canals would probably be only as far as the first lock anyway.

As its moored on a narrow canal at present the length is not the only issue.......

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

Er, except that it's still roughly imitating the shape of a wheelhouse even if the boat doesn't move.

Edited by blackrose
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

This from CaRT earlier this evening:

Grand Union Canal
Location: Bridge 24 Warwickshire Fly Boats, Long Itchington, Grand Union Canal
Starts At: Bridge 22, Bridleway
Ends At: Bridge 60, Blue Bridge
Up Stream Winding Hole: Kingswood Junction
Down Stream Winding Hole: Napton Junction

Friday 18 March 2022 16:00 until Friday 17 March 2023 16:00

Type: Navigation Restriction
Reason: Structure failure

Original message:

We’re sorry to say that movement of the towpath wall underneath this bridge has caused the canal width to reduce by 5”, and so we’re having to temporarily reduce maximum beam for navigation from the published 12’6” to 12’.

After a number of incidents affecting widebeam craft, in January 2022 we carried out a thorough investigation and accurate measurements of the wall beneath the water level.  From this, we’ve now drawn up a programme to rebuild the towpath side wall, and are planning to reinstate the 12’6” beam of the navigation during the winter stoppage season, and no later than March 2023. 

We’ve looked at the opportunities for widening the gap here to 14’, to open up this section of canal to breasted-up narrowboats and other craft currently able to navigate the southern Grand Union.  However, initial findings show that this would be prohibitively costly and more disruptive for both canal and road users, requiring extensive engineering works on the bridge itself, with a long stoppage for boats and traffic diversion for cars.

There are also other pinch points on this section of the Grand Union, particularly at Bridge 23 which make it unsuitable for full-width operation.

We are also aware of a recent incident at Bridge 59, Shrewley where the permitted 12’6” beam is unable to be accommodated.  The Trust is planning to complete further investigations regarding this restriction.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience this may cause, and will update you when we have more details.  In the meantime, boats up to 12’6” can be winded at Napton Junction.

Anyone any idea what the 'recent incident at Bridge 59, Shrewley' was?

Edited by Victor Vectis