March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Do the mirrors get broken off by close encounters with stationary objects, or does the boat not move often enough that this is a problem?

The boat was moving, single handed, the mirrors were not beyond the gunnel's by very much. 

Bod.

9 hours ago, Bod said:

We meet a w/beam earlier in the year, fitted with lorry mirrors.

These were mounted either side, but arranged to look forward, down the boats sides, from the helm position.

Allowing the helm to see where each side was, without running from side to side all the time.

Genius idea, should be standard on all w/beams.

Bod.

Surprised they dont have car camera arrangements to see clearer. I think some NBs have these at the bow to see better at corners and bridgeholes ? 

Saw a shiny white and chrome narrow beam wonder above Hardingswood and below Hall Green in June which had cameras similarly mounted to see down the gunnels, well as much as they were, and so the steerer didn't have to leave the tiller and look out of their pure white hidey tent.

• Greenie 1

On 15/12/2021 at 12:40, Captain Pegg said:

Possibly a slightly mischievous photo since the Aylesbury Arm is currently under a stoppage at locks 1, 2 and 3 for gate replacements.

I should have thought CRT would have needed access by water for moving in plant/lock gates etc.  Especially if they're working on three of the locks.

4 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I should have thought CRT would have needed access by water for moving in plant/lock gates etc.  Especially if they're working on three of the locks.

I was wondering that as well.  Surely from the water enough could be removed to ensure careful passage.

On 15/12/2021 at 11:39, Bod said:

We meet a w/beam earlier in the year, fitted with lorry mirrors.

These were mounted either side, but arranged to look forward, down the boats sides, from the helm position.

Allowing the helm to see where each side was, without running from side to side all the time.

Genius idea, should be standard on all w/beams.

Bod.

I have wheel steering which means I can see down one side all the time, I find this is good enough, I have seen CCTV on boats before though which would be very helpful at times 

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

I have wheel steering which means I can see down one side all the time, I find this is good enough, I have seen CCTV on boats before though which would be very helpful at times 

I have wheel steering on one side and find that if you know where one side is, the other unseen side  is always in relativey the same postion.

I have a 23 foot beam boat and can not easily see any 'corner' but know where they are.

When driving your car you generally can only see down one side but soon learn to know how wide the vehicle is - a boat is just the same.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

True but I still use the mirrors on both sides when reversing

Apparently, from what I have seen, you dont need those any more. You have to be able to use a reversing aid camera...if available.

But there is nothing in the DVSA (I think its called that until the next £30bn renaming session)..that says you have to clean that bloody thing.

I had damage done in a car park costing me an extra £300 in insurance as the other party couldnt see out of windows or camera on a frosty morning that my car was behind them in another parking spot.

Yes, their insurance paid for everything, including my hire car as a door was unable to be opened....

But it still cost me downtime picking a car up from Northampton.....I refused to take it back.

Back on the widebeams on unsuitable waterways...

ABNB are a much lauded broker, however, they cant actually bring themselves to say that this 70 foot(no width specified) behemoth cant actually be taken out of its home marina....rather stating.."Wide beam craft lend themselves to full time residential use but can also be cruised in certain parts of the country."

The ad also states...

Certification: RCD to 2022

...meaning someone there isnt quite up to speed on legislation.

https://www.abnb.co.uk/boat?BoatID=3800

3800eLong.jpg

• Horror 1

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Back on the widebeams on unsuitable waterways...

ABNB are a much lauded broker, however, they cant actually bring themselves to say that this 70 foot(no width specified) behemoth cant actually be taken out of its home marina....rather stating.."Wide beam craft lend themselves to full time residential use but can also be cruised in certain parts of the country."

The ad also states...

Certification: RCD to 2022

...meaning someone there isnt quite up to speed on legislation.

https://www.abnb.co.uk/boat?BoatID=3800

3800eLong.jpg

I wonder what the engine hours are after 2 years living the dream?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Just been twatted by a new grey and red 12ft widebeam at Stoke Bruerne as it bounces along from bank to boats. No CRT personnel anywhere to be seen so no doubt it has come through the tunnel unbooked.

As above. Do you have a reg number/name etc. please inform crt…for the safety of everyone…I think I’d be taking a walk down the flight to ask some questions myself…..

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

Just been twatted by a new grey and red 12ft widebeam at Stoke Bruerne as it bounces along from bank to boats. No CRT personnel anywhere to be seen so no doubt it has come through the tunnel unbooked.

Id say so as there is no passage through at the moment..(unless it happened to be winding there of course..)

Please note that there will be no bookings for wide beams through Blisworth Tunnel for the Christmas period between the 24th December and the 4th January.  

Any wide beams needing passage, will need to book in the New Year.

Edited by PaulJ
Add missing bit

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or, as is becoming the norm, they 'just do it anyway'.

They will come unstuck at some point no doubt leading to a load more regs for taking a boat thro a tunnel…which ironically won’t affect widebeams as they only seem to move when they are new…I guess the owners then realise how unsuitable they are for waterways such as the northern parts of the GU.  

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Locked, removable width restriction at each end of the tunnel to allow narrowboats to go through at any time, but wideboats only when booked.

Do you really think that folk that don't give a toss about the rules are not going to have a battery powered angle-grinder on board ?

• Greenie 1

Just now, David Mack said:

Locked, removable width restriction at each end of the tunnel to allow narrowboats to go through at any time, but wideboats only when booked.

I have been thinking along those lines…trouble is it would have to be a post in the middle to allow two narrowboats to pass….and as my OH pointed out I often go down the middle if nothing is coming. But I can honestly see that being imposed if there is an incident and HSE got involved….or tunnel pilots..or manned entrances…it really doesn’t bear thinking about