March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

Says the man that’s happy to support hunting & the associated goons that go with it! 

Being a supporter of animal rights doesn't give you an automatic right to advocate violence against another person if they don't agree with you during a 'earnest face to face discussion'. 

Believing that is indeed the views of a thug.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You never dissapoint, but I did consider (for one moment) that you might take the trouble to look up the definition of "Thug" before replying, but, if it helps you :

a violent person, 
"he was attacked by a gang of thugs"

What makes a thug a thug?
A thug is a bad guy or a bully, especially a violent one. A thug might break into someone's house, push its owners around, and steal their TV. It's hard to reason with thugs, since they'd rather intimidate and physically hurt people than talk.

So that rather describes terriermen don’t you think? 

16 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Thug derived from "Thuggee"

The English word thug traces its roots to the Hindi ठग (ṭhag), which means 'swindler' or 'deceiver'.

Thuggee - Wikipedia

Wiki appears to be slighty different definition to various dictionary definitions :

Thug a member of an organization of robbers and assassins in India. Devotees of the goddess Kali, the Thugs waylaid and strangled their victims, usually travellers, in a ritually prescribed manner. They were suppressed by the British in the 1830s.

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Back on topic, apparently the boat was rescued from the bridge backwards, and is now apparently in the Napton/Calcutt vicinity.

Well best get the oxy out if they want to get knowle….or are they CMing in the area I wonder. 

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Back to Bushell brothers Tring, is this where they operated from? 

Looks like it’s being redeveloped 😕 

I presume they had a dry dock that must have gone too

D99282FD-6FBD-42AA-9AB2-E8671736B8B0.png

Not from there 😉

They were down here he Wendover arm at the what is now the end of the Heygates mill site just past the bridge.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/e2hEa1iSv7T6V7EM7

The site in the picture was the old BW yard where they made lockgates 

Edited by Loddon

Having boated past the new signs at stoke today they state maximum width is 12’6”. Some of the ‘boats’ moored on that  Weedon pound appear wider.

On another matter I have never seen the canal as clear as it was today. You could see the bottom in many places. Ive boated on this pound since 1981 and never seen it this clear.

You could not only see which boats had anodes on as you went by, but also those that need a docking!

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

Having boated past the new signs at stoke today they state maximum width is 12’6”. Some of the ‘boats’ moored on that  Weedon pound appear wider.

On another matter I have never seen the canal as clear as it was today. You could see the bottom in many places. Ive boated on this pound since 1981 and never seen it this clear.

You could not only see which boats had anodes on as you went by, but also those that need a docking!

Aye, theres one across from me.....😁

The primed red widebeam that moors with ratchets is 14' wide, and there is a green one which doesn't know how to moor properly that is 13'.

On 04/11/2021 at 19:14, Alan de Enfield said:

That's sad, and unfortunately a misunderstanding on your part.

I'm sure that there is no one on the forum who is 'anti-fat-boat', what everyone is against is 'fat boats' using narrow canals, damaging structures, getting stuck etc etc.

Many modern 'widebeams' are pig ugly obese narrowboats and are generally very un-aquadynamic and shows by the erratic steering exhibited.

Proper wide BOATS (not skips) are a beauty to behold.

Right boat in the right place and everyone is happy.

(I own a 14 foot beam boat, recently left the Rivers and canals and gone 'back to sea')

That reads pretty anti to me, as does the title of this thread.

Keith

On 05/11/2021 at 08:30, frangar said:

The answer is quite simple…don’t take a wide boat on a waterway that’s not suitable.

I do wonder if the CRT boat was triggered by the same boat that got stuck in Warwick….maybe they thought that the fact they were outside of the gauge of the waterway didn’t apply to them. 

As I've said before, the Grand Junction Canal was built for wide beam vessels.

Keith

3 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

But only from London to Berkhamstead

But is that true? Certainly in later years widebeams only worked up to around Berko. But it was built with wide locks, bridges and tunnels all the way to Braunston. Did the builders in the late 1700s, when the concept of anything other than horse-towed boats on the canal would have been unthinkable, really plan that those locks would only be used by paired narrow boats? Somehow I doubt it.