March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Pushing on a pole like that is plain daft and could be dangerous. How about steering and going rather slower?

I think going slower would be the key, that is way too fast for anyone to be going into a blind bridge hole on a bend.

It came past me so fast I didnt get a pic of the back end, but its signed Margie the Bargee I think, with a big GOOLE underneath it.

Perhaps it's been sold from up there and lifted in at Whilton, or perhaps that's where it's going from Delta Marine at Warwick/Lemming(sic)ton...

1 minute ago, roland elsdon said:

Somebody is going to get hurt. Shafts are for poling round, not steering with.

I couldnt see why they were needed as the bowthruster thingy was mahoosive and effective. 

Unfortunately, they think poling off boats is acceptable as well, as seen at Flore wharf, although to be fair, the short grey narrowboat was moored in a very stupid place.

1 minute ago, MtB said:

It is however, preferable (just) to hitting them.

Whoever first said "Boating is a contact sport" has a lot to answer for, Tim.

If they put a pole on my boat they may find it rammed into an unexpected porthole….perhaps learning to steer or having a suitable boat for the waterway may be a better idea….

24 minutes ago, MtB said:

What a charmer you are when you want to be....

If they had used one of their poles on me whilst passing, (they were very close and aiming) they may well have had a full portapotti poured on them under the next bridge.😇

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I saw a real IMO ugly one in France last week, mind you I wouldn't call the one I was on pretty

smallIMG_20210907_081416 (2).jpg

smallIMG_20210907_081431.jpg

Coming soon to a locked-in section of narrow canal over here, I imagine.

We need a CRT licencing clause that requires a boat to be "suitable for the waters upon which it cruises" imho (other opinions are available). Who wants to be on the committee of taste? ;)

On 09/09/2021 at 19:43, matty40s said:

Ah, the peace and enjoyment of a tranquil cruise....fenders, poles and bowthruster ready..

20210909_194135.jpg

How can this be enjoyable.....

Looks like a Johnathan Wilson Sheffield size boat! Very suitable to our northern waters which it was designed for

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Looks like a Johnathan Wilson Sheffield size boat! Very suitable to our northern waters which it was designed for

Which "northern waters" exactly, are suitable for these monster fatties, please?

In another thread, Neil2 (I think it was) suggested fatties are as obtrusive in many northern waters are as they are in the southern. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Which "northern waters" exactly, are suitable for these monster fatties, please?

Weren't the old working "Sheffield Keels" about 60 feet by 14 feet? To call them "monster fatties" is perhaps unkind, they were simply the commercial craft of that area..

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I saw a real IMO ugly one in France last week, mind you I wouldn't call the one I was on pretty

Not things of beauty, no. Probably spacious inside, but then so are 'buses.

On which French waterway were you, and how did you manage to go there, what with travel restrictions and quarantine requirements?

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

In another thread, Neil2 (I think it was) suggested fatties are as obtrusive in many northern waters are as they are in the southern. 

The sort of waterways where boats like this ply their trade?

Screenshot_20210912-133258_Gallery.jpg

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Can you imagine, commissioning a new build and on being shown some drawings, saying "FANTASTIC, beautiful, that's EXACTLY the boat I want. Press on with the build please"! 

Just now, peterboat said:

The sort of waterways where boats like this ply their trade?

Screenshot_20210912-133258_Gallery.jpg

As I thought. You are unable to name the waterway. 

• Haha 1