March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Graham and Jo said:

Is this the big grey monster, currently moored in the winding hole about Calcutt locks.

IMG_20210901_095635_827~2.jpg

It’s not moved far then, it was moored the other side of Wigrams when we passed it at the end of July. 

6 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

Is this the big grey monster, currently moored in the winding hole about Calcutt locks.

IMG_20210901_095635_827~2.jpg

Somewhat off topic; but when a boat of any size moors in or opposite a winding hole that makes the winding hole unusable (such as the 32ft GRP cruiser opposite the winding hole at bridge 5 on the Leicester Line last week,  I'm quite sure that a 20 tonne steel boat impacting it would dissuade the owners from doing that another time... )

However, I didn't need to turn there so I resisted the temptation.

4 hours ago, Graham and Jo said:

It has a nice note on it apologizing for causing inconvenience. No name, no licence displayed and the index number is hidden in the well deck.

I am told the local moorings officer knows them well.

Everyone who uses the Braunston to Napton stretch(with a jink up towards Barby knows this boat well....3 years it's been pottering around this stretch, only once seen it above Braunston locks.

Looks similar/same as the huge wb moored just 100 m behind us near Flecknoe. (Can't see name of either!) When we came by the couple on board seemed desperate for a smile despite having caused an obstruction with the narrowboat coming the other way.

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Looks similar/same as the huge wb moored just 100 m behind us near Flecknoe. (Can't see name of either!) When we came by the couple on board seemed desperate for a smile despite having caused an obstruction with the narrowboat coming the other way.

The one above Calcutt has no name visible, it's just 2 pack primer grey the other one that skunks around there in and out of Dunchurch Pools has its name on the not so pointy end as well as the rear panels.

52 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That's not the same boat, we've passed both of them today. The one near you is a very shiney Aqualine that was in Braunston yesterday and moved to Flecknoe very early this morning. I had a conversation with them as we passed and it turns out they moved early in the morning to avoid upsetting narrowboaters!

9 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

That's not the same boat, we've passed both of them today. The one near you is a very shiney Aqualine that was in Braunston yesterday and moved to Flecknoe very early this morning. I had a conversation with them as we passed and it turns out they moved early in the morning to avoid upsetting narrowboaters!

But are they moored right by bridge 102.  I know that’s a popular place when you have a car, we used to use it for the that, but it’s not a good place for a widebeam, and it is not unusual to find on there.

This one is quite sad, and also quite deceiving from ABNB, who do not tell and prospective buyers that it is not allowed to cruise out of the marina. ....the only inkling is the phrase..."The Vetus 63hp diesel engine provides ample power to take you cruising on wide canals and rivers. So here is an opportunity to side step any waiting lists to own an as new boat with only 10 running hours on its engine."

2 owners already, on a boat finished in April 2020, 10 hours on engine, blacked this July on a boat 12 months old? 62ftx10ft(nominal apparently...does that mean average width across bendy plates or approximately in hot weather)

3762eLong.jpg

Edited by matty40s

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

This one is quite sad, and also quite deceiving from ABNB, who do not tell and prospective buyers that it is not allowed to cruise out of the marina. ....the only inkling is the phrase..."The Vetus 63hp diesel engine provides ample power to take you cruising on wide canals and rivers. So here is an opportunity to side step any waiting lists to own an as new boat with only 10 running hours on its engine."

2 owners already, on a boat finished in April 2020, 10 hours on engine, blacked this July on a boat 12 months old? 62ftx10ft(nominal apparently...does that mean average width across bendy plates or approximately in hot weather)

3762eLong.jpg

I can't work out how it's ended up on brokerage on a narrow canal?  Has it never left the marina?

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I can't work out how it's ended up on brokerage on a narrow canal?  Has it never left the marina?

ABNB will sell boats off their moorings (they sold ours when she was in Springwood Haven marina), so probably not.

10 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Nope. There’s a few widebeams in North Kilworth.  The most boating they do is between their berth & the pump out machine. 

33 minutes ago, frangar said:

Nope. There’s a few widebeams in North Kilworth.  The most boating they do is between their berth & the pump out machine. 

This blows my mind.  I can't wrap my head around it at all.

Seriously, what's the point?  A static caravan on a park home site would be a lot cheaper to buy and to maintain.

Why does it even have an engine in it?  You could quite easily punt over to the pump out machine.

21 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

This blows my mind.  I can't wrap my head around it at all.

Seriously, what's the point?  A static caravan on a park home site would be a lot cheaper to buy and to maintain.

Why does it even have an engine in it?  You could quite easily punt over to the pump out machine.

Have you watched the Floating Homes program on TV, 3 story floating houses moored closer than a housing estate in the last one.

59 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The advert says it's in north kilworth marina.

ABNB have moved from Crick and are now at North Kilworth Marina.

So that explains why the boat is on brokerage with ABNB but it doesn't explain why someone would have a new wide beam craned in there!

• Greenie 1