March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, it's French.

To me it looks like its been brought over from France. It looks like something you'd see on the Canal du Midi.

11 hours ago, David Mack said:

Chunks missing from the fold-down wheelhouse sides I would have thought.

Mine are like that and it doesn't matter in europe as the wheelhouse never comes down but you're right, its a real nuisance, broke a hinge on the River Wey , mind you that was pushing the  boundaries of possibilities a bit going down there.

19 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

To me it looks like its been brought over from France. It looks like something you'd see on the Canal du Midi.

It's handsome enough. It's too short to be a converted working péniche, but I guess it could have been built over there as a leisure craft.

I don't think so Athy - far too sophisticated a shape, and quite a nice sheer. The French penichette hire boats are reasonable decent looking, but everything else I've seen is rather monstrous.

Tam

9 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I don't think so Athy - far too sophisticated a shape, and quite a nice sheer. 

Tam

Tam, do you mean you don't think it's French? 

Sorry if I'm being dim.

On 29/03/2021 at 09:38, Athy said:

It's handsome enough. It's too short to be a converted working péniche, but I guess it could have been built over there as a leisure craft.

As it's on the GU, I'd hazard a guess that it's been built by Garry Ward.

I think it is far too shapely to be a French-built pleasure craft, but I don't recognise it as one built by Delta. To my mind his are among the best, but they don't have such sheer on the hull. Pipers do, but the fore end is very different. This one has a kind of double lift at the bow - there's the first bit where the top strake rises and 'Le Renard' is written, and then it has additional bulwarks too. It would be easier if I could look at the craft itself, but from the photo I suspect it was a working craft of some nature. One thing that does argue against though is the position and type of bollards. A continental working craft would normally have paired bollards, and the forward ones here are too far back and behind the bulwarks.

Tam

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Tam & Di
bollards comment
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, IanM said:

That big blue one has been there since at least October/November time. 

When did the big blue one come ?

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

When did the big blue one come ?

Pressed the post button, nothing happened so hit it again and again before thinking sod it, it wasn’t that important anyway. Something obviously happened. 

• Love 1

On 31/03/2021 at 13:34, Tam & Di said:

I think it is far too shapely to be a French-built pleasure craft, but I don't recognise it as one built by Delta. To my mind his are among the best, but they don't have such sheer on the hull. Pipers do, but the fore end is very different. This one has a kind of double lift at the bow - there's the first bit where the top strake rises and 'Le Renard' is written, and then it has additional bulwarks too. It would be easier if I could look at the craft itself, but from the photo I suspect it was a working craft of some nature. One thing that does argue against though is the position and type of bollards. A continental working craft would normally have paired bollards, and the forward ones here are too far back and behind the bulwarks.

Tam

Untitled.jpg

If it's an ex-working craft, it's certainly been cossetted all its life. Looking down the hull sides there's not a wave or dent to be seen. It's brand new in my opinion, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. If it's not Garry Ward, could it be one of Bluewater's boats?

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

This prompted me to look at Delta Marine's web site.

They sure build some very nice boats.

https://delta-marineservices.co.uk/

I had a look too, and they are handsome. I was was amused that one of the illustrated ones was called 'Inevitable', which of course means that you can't avoid it - obviously destined for the North Oxford!

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/03/2021 at 19:43, frangar said:

How did I guess?....I foresee it being for sale in a year or two max when the owners realise it might not be the most suitable craft to CC in....or it gets welded to a towpath in london and becomes a general hazard to navigation.

Expensive mistake...being lifted out again and taken to a waterway more suited as they couldnt get a mooring where they wanted to....after 4 weeks. 

Hit by a hire boat on the way here, big ding in the side now. 

20210415_100930.jpg

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

Expensive mistake...being lifted out again and taken to a waterway more suited as they couldnt get a mooring where they wanted to....after 4 weeks. 

Hit by a hire boat on the way here, big ding in the side now. 

20210415_100930.jpg

Dare I ask if you know where it's going? Seems at least part of my prediction was true!...when you say mooring do you mean a permanent one or just overnight? Either way thats an expensive lesson learned!

One thing that was drummed into me on here when we bought our boat was find a mooring, find a mooring and find a mooing again BEFORE you buy a boat.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Dare I ask if you know where it's going? Seems at least part of my prediction was true!...when you say mooring do you mean a permanent one or just overnight? Either way thats an expensive lesson learned!

Off to Stourbridge we were told, however more likely to be Stourport otherwise they would have limited cruising choices ?