March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

This has just been issued.....about time too!!

Detail

From Date: 11/02/2021 16:00

To Date: On-going

Type: Navigation Restriction

Reason: Information

Is the towpath closed? No

Closest waterway: Oxford Canal

Starts at: Bridge 93/94, Braunston Junction

Ends at: Lock 7, Hillmorton Top Lock (Os)

Description

Managing the safe movement of wide beam boats on the North Oxford Canal

The north Oxford Canal between Braunston Junction and Hillmorton Locks is a narrow canal, not suitable for wide-beam craft. The maximum craft dimensions for boats on the canal are:

Length 21.96m (72ft)
Beam 2.13m (7ft’)
Draught 1.09m (3ft 7’’)

Access to the marinas on the North Oxford is permitted but only at pre-agreed times and must be done in a single journey (i.e. not stopping between the marina and the destination)

How to arrange movement of wide-beam craft on the north Oxford canal

Boaters should notify enquiries.westmidlands@canalrivertrust.org.uknot less than two weeks ahead of the boat movement with the following information:

• - Boat index and name
  • - Planned date and time of movement
  • - Direction of movement
  • - Contact number for the person who will be navigating the boat

Planned wide-beam boat movements on the north Oxford will be published on the Trust’s notices and stoppages web page

• Greenie 2

i know we’ve not cruised much since moving to Dunchurch, but i can’t say i’ve ever seen a widebeam moving on that stretch.

not seen the ones in the marina move at all.

i’m guessing two must have got stuck passing to warrant this missive from C&RT?

Edited by Hudds Lad

I assume that CRT will stop renewing licences for fat boats on the North Oxford that declare home moorings there - eventually they might all take the hint and go elsewhere

Edited by CV32

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

i know we’ve not cruised much since moving to Dunchurch, but i can’t say i’ve ever seen a widebeam moving on that stretch.

not seen the ones in the marina move at all.

i’m guessing two must have got stuck passing to warrant this missive from C&RT?

Theres a large grey one regularly goes up to the winding hole at Hillmorton, often moors at Willoughby (which is narrow when it's just narrowboats moored there!), another new fatty has just announced he is going to CC round Braunston to my knowledge.

3 hours ago, CV32 said:

I assume that CRT will stop renewing licences for fat boats on the North Oxford that declare home moorings there - eventually they might all take the hint and go elsewhere

Why do you assume that?

They've not been barred from the N. Oxford, in fact they've been given a procedure to follow in order to use it.

Boaters should notify enquiries.westmidlands@canalrivertrust.org.uknot less than two weeks ahead of the boat movement with the following information:

• - Boat index and name

Creating a set of instructions on how to do something and then banning the same activity would be contradictory and deserving of maximum criticism by everyone.

I am happy that what was needed has happened.

• Greenie 2

CRT quote 'The north Oxford Canal between Braunston Junction and Hillmorton Locks is a narrow canal, not suitable for wide-beam craft.'

Now CRT will incur more administrative load by asking for notification of movement (which we know the owners will likely ignore). It's not a fix, it's a large plaster stuck on to keep the rest of us happy. 

11 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Why do you assume that?

They've not been barred from the N. Oxford, in fact they've been given a procedure to follow in order to use it.

• - Boat index and name

Creating a set of instructions on how to do something and then banning the same activity would be contradictory and deserving of maximum criticism by everyone.

I am happy that what was needed has happened.

It has possibly taken this long to get a plan because of the difficulty in coming up with something that the lawyers would endorse. I doubt whether CaRT would have wanted to provoke a court case that hinged on the notion of whether a particular boat is suitable for the navigation. As plenty have been keen to pursue in the past, rights to navigation are enshrined in laws that are difficult to change so it was necessary to find something that CaRT are allowed to do but which does not infringe on established rights. Seems to me that as the procedure at various nearby tunnels has not been challenged, it was the green light for using the same approach here. (Given the current ste of the courts it will probably take several years for a challenge case to come to a conclusion but which time it will just be 'custom and practice'!)

Navigating without getting permission would be a bit tricky in that it takes a little while to get from one end to the other or from one marina to another and there will be plenty of volunteer 'enforcers' who will delight in calling CaRT Enforcement to report such a boat on the move. It will not be difficult for CaRT to catch the boat! What I did not see, however, is what penalty can be imposed for those who ignore the procedure. Presumably something similar to overstaying in that 'The Board' will decide that the boat(er) is not in compliance with the T&Cs and so can withdraw a licence and then enforce on the grounds of it being an unlicensed boat. In the case of the new marinas, the boat could not then hide there as the agreements between the marina and CaRT will require the boats to be licensed.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

What I did not see, however, is what penalty can be imposed for those who ignore the procedure. Presumably something similar to overstaying in that 'The Board' will decide that the boat(er) is not in compliance with the T&Cs and so can withdraw a licence and then enforce on the grounds of it being an unlicensed boat. In the case of the new marinas, the boat could not then hide there as the agreements between the marina and CaRT will require the boats to be licensed.

What happens if a wide beam goes through Blisworth or Braunston without permission.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

My question was what action does C&RT take in such cases not an angry boater they meet

What I was getting at was that when they meet another boat then their presence will hardly go unnoticed and it is very likely indeed that someo0ne at CaRT will be involved. What they then do about it is another matter . . . 

So, it is like I said 8 posts back (we don't seem to number posts anymore?) Having a procedure or instruction to follow means it is allowed.

So CRT will not/should not refuse to renew a licence.

The owners refusal to comply is a totally different issue and should most certainly result in a prop clamp.

A re think on C&RTs part 

Notice Update: 16th February 21

Navigation: Open, Towpath: Open

Oxford Canal
Location: Movement of wide-beam boats between Braunston Junction and Hillmorton Locks on the North Oxford Canal
Starts At: Bridge 93/94, Braunston Junction
Ends At: Lock 7, Hillmorton Top Lock (Os)

Update on 16/02/2021:

Please refer to https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/19191-movement-of-wide-beam-boats-between-braunston-junction-and-hillmorton-locks-on-the-north-oxford-canal for the latest information.

Original message:

Managing the safe movement of wide beam boats on the North Oxford Canal

The north Oxford Canal between Braunston Junction and Hillmorton Locks is a narrow canal, not suitable for wide-beam craft. The maximum craft dimensions for boats on the canal are:

Length 21.96m (72ft)
Beam 2.13m (7ft’)
Draught 1.09m (3ft 7’’)

Access to the marinas on the North Oxford is permitted but only at pre-agreed times and must be done in a single journey (i.e. not stopping between the marina and the destination)

Boaters should notify enquiries.westmidlands@canalrivertrust.org.uk one weekahead of the boat movement with the following information:

• - Boat index and name

Planned wide-beam boat movements on the north Oxford will be published on the Trust’s notices and stoppages web page

*If you need to move your boat urgently and are unable to give a week’s notice, please email the West Midlands team as soon as possible so that they can make others aware of wide-beam craft movement on the north Oxford canal

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Please do not reply to the email. It has been automatically generated.

To unsubscribe from this service please go to: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/my-trust/notices and uncheck the relevant box.

open.php?u=10513099&id=d668a2ee222747febdcc09c8476ddb52

This email was sent to me    unsubscribe from this list

Just now, Tuscan said:

So first notice said two weeks notice required, second changed it to one week. This latest one says if your busy just call us . Good clear communications.

Ive made my feelings known to CRT about the changes...I think some widebeam owners bitched....its a shame that CRT gave in quite so easily....gives out the wrong message entirely in my opinion.

• Greenie 3