March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

On 01/05/2018 at 11:05, cuthound said:

Whilst walking the dog, I came across this widebeam moored at Alvecote on the Coventry Canal.

Hopefully it is an escapee from the adjacent marina, waiting for a pumpout or diesel.

If not he has a very limited cruising range and a few low bridges to contend with. ?

20180501_103503.jpg

Sorry I'm late to the post!...It lives in the marina,pretty sure there's 2 of them in there...No engines,they are for accommodation only.

14 minutes ago, frangar said:

Send it in to CRT as an example of poor mooring...they really need to get a grip on this...been far too much delaying and letting it occur....Ive no understanding of why fat boats seem drawn to bridgeholes and narrows but they are!

Because it's a mooring looking at the right hand side?

24 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Because it's a mooring looking at the right hand side?

Its the towpath as other have said...even more reason had it been a permanent mooring.....Ive been refused permission for an EOG mooring on a property we looked at that was not as close as that to a bridge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, frangar said:

There is similar on the permanent moorings at Ricky but technically that needs to move from there at some point.....going to be interesting!!

The one I snapped has no engine of any description, not even any way to attach an outboard...

So it's obviously not a home mooring, and equally obviously can't CC -- if it can't move at all, why haven't CART nicked it?

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

The one I snapped has no engine of any description, not even any way to attach an outboard...

So it's obviously not a home mooring, and equally obviously can't CC -- if it can't move at all, why haven't CART nicked it?

Are CRT aware of it?

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

Even if its moved by a tug of some form it will be interesting at bridge holes......

13 minutes ago, frangar said:

Even if its moved by a tug of some form it will be interesting at bridge holes......

True, but all the bridges along that section of the GU are super-wide.

14 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Are CRT aware of it?

Dunno...

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I thought CRT claimed all the system was visited by licence checkers every fortnight.   If that is correct they must be aware.

But they only 'go for the low hanging fruit', any sort of 'alternative' person or boat is more trouble that it's worth so they just harass 'conventional' boat owners

14 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I thought CRT claimed all the system was visited by licence checkers every fortnight.   If that is correct they must be aware.

Yes, it's hardly something you'd miss, is it?

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough I watched a wide-beam pass through Olton (going towards Camp Hill) this morning. I wasn't close enough to speak to the crew but presume they knew that they would have to turn before the locks. Seemed a pointless trip, nothing particularly worth seeing along there.

1 minute ago, frahkn said:

Strangely enough I watched a wide-beam pass through Olton (going towards Camp Hill) this morning. I wasn't close enough to speak to the crew but presume they knew that they would have to turn before the locks. Seemed a pointless trip, nothing particularly worth seeing along there.

Only if you have done it before.

Some quite interesting historical industrial bits along there and then the services. 

One of Lawrence Hoggs(RIP) favourite missions was to try and protect some of that, unfortunately, the covered dock has now gone.

• Love 1

22 hours ago, matty40s said:

Only if you have done it before.

Some quite interesting historical industrial bits along there and then the services. 

One of Lawrence Hoggs(RIP) favourite missions was to try and protect some of that, unfortunately, the covered dock has now gone.

You do have a point but I think they looked more worried than fascinated.

I've taken the boat that way a couple of times and the dog and I walk different bits of it every day when we are home, so perhaps I've become over familiar with the route. To be honest it's hard to imagine the busy wharfs depicted in the likes of 'Idle Women' when you walk past today.