March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

The lack of 'style' is particularly noticeable when compared with New Dawn above, which has plenty of sheer, good side decks for easy movement when crewing, and dollies fore and aft which are unencumbered by bulwarks and are easy to use. But it obviously costs more to build - you pays your money and takes your choice.

Tam

It was built as a live aboard for use on the Leeds & Liverpool and other Northern waterways.

2 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

The lack of 'style' is particularly noticeable when compared with New Dawn above, which has plenty of sheer, good side decks for easy movement when crewing, and dollies fore and aft which are unencumbered by bulwarks and are easy to use. But it obviously costs more to build - you pays your money and takes your choice.

Tam

I don't like the shape of New Dawn either but as you say you pay your money and take your choice.

This is the only replica barge I have ever really thought looks right:

PICT0054-1024x768.jpg.7790e08a08b96ce807bc98b1541ff678.jpg

Edited by Naughty Cal

52 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I don't like the shape of New Dawn either but as you say you pay your money and take your choice.

This is the only replica barge I have ever really thought looks right:

I didn't say I actually like New Dawn - it was only as illustration of what I saw as lacking in Mjölnir. I see it said now that it was built for residential use; there is always a compromise between 'boatiness' and living space in that case, and it has not been given sufficient consideration to 'boatiness' to my mind. I'd agree that Angell Hardy II is preferable to both, and answers all the criticisms I gave

Tam

31 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I see where you went wrong there!  Floating flats is more likely.

But, as Thor says, hey'll be within reach of the Shop Canal for all their retail needs.

7 hours ago, Thorfast said:

I have noticed that at least 3 widebeams are now at Tattenhall Marina on the very northern end of the Shroppie. Don't really see the point as their cruising range is very limited unless they use the Manchester Shop Canal.

Anything over 11ft wide isn't going to be able to pass under the M53 bridge to join the Ship Canal at Ellesmere Port.

On 20/08/2020 at 17:03, Thorfast said:

I have noticed that at least 3 widebeams are now at Tattenhall Marina on the very northern end of the Shroppie. Don't really see the point as their cruising range is very limited unless they use the Manchester Shop Canal.

Probably more that the ones on the North Oxford or the two in the marina at Alvecote 

On 20/08/2020 at 21:35, zenataomm said:

I'm adding the Manchester Shop Canal to my list.

The Trent & Misery

The Grand Onion

The Leicester Suction

Kennet & Avon Calling

Yes there are more and yes I am bored.

Wey and Barren Canal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Waterways World says this can get all the way to Birmingham, I think it could prove interesting http://www.denizenworks.com/floating-church

Jesus Christ!!....I cant help but think that the church might have found better ways to spend £650k......it does prove rather what I think of religion in any form......

13 hours ago, Jerra said:

Can you have a widebeam narrowboat?   That's what the article says it is.

I think the term is used to denote a boat which follows the lines of a narrowboat but which has a broader beam, as opposed to Dutch barges, tjalks and other broad craft.

21 hours ago, Jerra said:

Can you have a widebeam narrowboat?   That's what the article says it is.

No. just as you can't have a narrowbeam wideboat.

It's about time that someone came up with a name for such craft rather than wide beam, after all narrow boats are only called narrow boats because they appear slender when compared to other craft. Wide boat would be more appropriate as such vessels did ply the southern waterways in horse boating days and were similar in appearance  to narrow boats only wider.

Keith