March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, but yours is a different shape from mine, if you'll pardon the expression. Many people jump off at the bows when bringing a narrowboat in to the side. (Yes O.K., this isn't a narrowboat, but you get my drift).

I note that the one in your post is different from the one in Manchester: note window layout for example.

Not if they're single handing they don't! ?

48 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I take it you've never singlehanded the Huddersfield Narrow Canal.

Jumping off the bow is the only sensible way to do most of the locks as getting into a lock landing is futile.  You have to stick the nose in the lock mouth and jump ashore, hopefully remembering to take a line with you.

There are also at least three where you're better off leaving your boat in the previous lock and walking half a mile to set the next one.

55 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I did Hatton in the dark one December from the bow, sticking the nose in the gates and climbing up. The boat I was moving was 3'6" at the back end, and after a few locks from Warwickshire Flyboats, realised that getting the back end in was just not going to work.

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Jumping off the bow is the only sensible way to do most of the locks as getting into a lock landing is futile.  You have to stick the nose in the lock mouth and jump ashore, hopefully remembering to take a line with you.

There are also at least three where you're better off leaving your boat in the previous lock and walking half a mile to set the next one.

9 hours ago, matty40s said:

I did Hatton in the dark one December from the bow, sticking the nose in the gates and climbing up. The boat I was moving was 3'6" at the back end, and after a few locks from Warwickshire Flyboats, realised that getting the back end in was just not going to work.

These are the exceptions that prove the rule. ?

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Would make life a little easier if they painted the steps that are at the bottom of the steps white. At least you might see where to aim for amidst the undergrowth.

17 hours ago, Rob-M said:

The problem is though people buy these things and then expect to travel along a canal built 200 years ago for a 70' x 7' flat bottomed, straight sided boat.

And one that was not designed to allow boats to moor up wherever the view takes their fancy! Or even where it is convenient for 21C work rather than where it was in the 18C and 19C

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It seems even 'fatties' can moor with just a centre line.

It has just come through a swing bridge, so is hopefully only moored long enough to close the bridge.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink
  • Happy 1

53 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It seems even 'fatties' can moor with just a centre line.

I'd disagree with Mrsmelly re the appearance as it is rather shapeless. I wondered where this boat had been designed to cruise. It has various navigation gubbins on a mast which suggest it's for slightly more serious waterways, and which presumable folds down when necessary for low bridges, but it looks basically like an inland vessel. I certainly wouldn't want to use it on continental waterways - the stern dollies are fine as a mooring point, but are tucked away unusably as a bit of working gear, and that it what you need for lock work there. It has no side decks so you presumably either go through the accommodation to the fore end or clamber across the top.

I'm sure the owners are very happy and proud of it though, so who am I to cast aspersions

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 2

55 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

It has no side decks so you presumably either go through the accommodation to the fore end or clamber across the top.

It looks to have conventional narrow boat type gunwales to me, complete with handrail on the cabin top. But not as wide as typical barge side decks.

The lack of 'style' is particularly noticeable when compared with New Dawn above, which has plenty of sheer, good side decks for easy movement when crewing, and dollies fore and aft which are unencumbered by bulwarks and are easy to use. But it obviously costs more to build - you pays your money and takes your choice.

Tam