March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ah, ructions on the cut....

A few days ago, a (probably) 10 foot work boat with Hiab crane pushed by a tug(Pochard) came past North at a fair pace( lots of moored boats here). About 7 or 8 people on the work boat sides and roof, and someone sat on Pochard directly in front of the driver. Much merriment was being had and I thought I'm glad I'm not coming the other way as theres no way the driver would see what's coming.

Anyhow, today it came back the other way, under the A5 bridge, and a narrowboat coming the other way already alongside moored boats. 

The wide workboat crew had much shouting and yelling at the narrowboat to move over and then at their own driver to "reverse, full reverse).

Which he did, damaging a new boat. The workboat crew moored and one of them went chasing the narrowboat skipper to bring him back as they said he was to blame for the damage. He did come back, however heated and foul language discussion took place resulting in an alleged assault, someone pushed over and bashing head. The police were called and 2 cars, 4 officers attended.

Anyhow, at the end of all this, the workboat set back off at absolute snail's pace this time, with a lookout each side of the forward end, and a lady stood behind the steerer this time to pass on instructions......probably how they should operate all the time if their risk assessments are done correctly. Which would all be great until the lady at the back decided to get her mobile out and stare at the screen instead of looking ahead.

20200722_190232.jpg

I believe that was something to do with Buckingham canal society...there’s been some crt notices about it. 

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I wasnt going to name but yes, that's what the large poster on the side said.

I think its only fair to point out it might not have been a CRT employed skipper or crew

Edited by frangar

10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I wasnt going to name but yes, that's what the large poster on the side said.

We passed it on Sunday near Heyford Fields, and they were going quite slowly there with a procession of boats behind.  The first follower said they’d been stuck behind it since Blisworth.

13 hours ago, frangar said:

I was just posting to avoid confusion in case others didn't realise that.

The original description did not lead me to that (erroneous) conclusion, thus:

I know that in some circles (I am equally circumspect!) it is the done thing to berate CaRT for their H&S approach, which often means that jobs take longer than might have done in the past. However, it is clear whenever I see their staff at work that the safety-conscious culture is well embedded at all levels and often becomes second nature. When built, canals were a very unsafe workplace and serious and fatal accidents continued for a very long time during their commercial life. Unless I am mistaken, CaRT (and other navigation authorities) generally have a very good safety record and this should be applauded.

The incident just reported did not feel as if that crew were any where near belonging to that culture (even allowing for the emotions of the reporter!) and when their unacceptable practices came the the attention of the authorities it does not feel as if the crew returned to a safety conscious mindset. The important thing about safety is that it should operate below the level of conscious, as well as in deliberate, planned, processes.

• Greenie 2

They may not be CART boats and employees, but to the casual observer they look like them, with the distinctive blue livery of the boats, so many people would assume (as I did when first seeing the photo) that these were CART people engaging in unsafe practices., which doesn't say much for CART.

If they are in fact Buckingham Canal Society boats and people, that doesn't say much for the Buckingham Canal Society, especially if one of their number belted a boater as has been suggested.

I hope that whoever runs the society will pay close attention to crew selection from now on.

24 minutes ago, Athy said:

If they are in fact Buckingham Canal Society boats and people, that doesn't say much for the Buckingham Canal Society, especially if one of their number belted a boater as has been suggested.

I didnt suggest that, you made it up.

Anyhow, moored at Norton Junction, leaving approx 60 feet to bridge for water point mooring.......

20200723_102120.jpg

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

I didnt suggest that, you made it up.

No, you said "Resulting in an alleged assault". If something is alleged, it is suggested but not proved. However, the presence of four bules does "suggest" that a crime took place.

15 hours ago, frangar said:

I think its only fair to point out it might not have been a CRT employed skipper or crew

Don't they train volunteers to move their work boats around now

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, you said "Resulting in an alleged assault". If something is alleged, it is suggested but not proved. However, the presence of four bules does "suggest" that a crime took place.

Not necessarily the police often get called to and attend incidents  where at the end of the day it's decided that no crime was committed.  Unless the alleged assailant is proven guilty they haven't assaulted anyone, innocent until proven guilty other than on the internet.

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not necessarily the police often get called to and attend incidents  where at the end of the day it's decided that no crime was committed.  Unless the alleged assailant is proven guilty they haven't assaulted anyone, innocent until proven guilty other than on the internet.

Quite correct.

I don't think the internet counts as a court of law!

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Quite correct.

I don't think the internet counts as a court of law!

If it did there would be a lot of executions

Just now, matty40s said:

Although you accused a Buckingham Canal Society member of a crime.

We will flog him later, or was it the woman?

Just now, matty40s said:

Although you accused a Buckingham Canal Society member of a crime.

Of course I didn't.

I'm a bit slow this morning, only just twigged that you were joking.

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Probably not worth it, won't get very much and the Ebay charges will probably erode what little you do achieve.

....which gets me wondering, how come the same word can mean "physically chastise" and "sell". I must get the S.O.D. out.

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, you said "Resulting in an alleged assault". 

You said ......" Buckingham Canal Society, especially if one of their number belted a boater as has been suggested".

there is a very big distance between what I said and you said.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You said ......" Buckingham Canal Society, especially if one of their number belted a boater as has been suggested".

there is a very big distance between what I said and you said.

No, they are quite adjacent.