March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

On 12/03/2020 at 12:06, magpie patrick said:

Yes, I recall that too - I think the turn at Horsely Fields limited the length but can't remember where I read that

I also seem to recall (but may have dreamt it) that one was raised in the mid 1970's by a group who didn't know what it was, and then they found it wouldn't fit in the top lock at Wolverhampton

I have always wondered if that was true or just an urban myth.

• 3 months later...

Several widebeam tales this weekend for Frangars shortlist.

The one coming through Blisworth tunnel at 11pm last night and then mooring in Stoke Bruernes disabled mooring (still there at lunchtime when we left). 

The 14ft Aqueline monstrosity moored virtually in a bridge hole north of Gayton...

..and then this noodle, moored opposite another boat in the middle of a tight S bend...made more difficult as theres a bridge just to the right of the old wharf house.

20200628_165824.jpg

Of course, all of these you can get past, but come next week when the fun starts, and many boats are trying to go both ways, it could get a bit silly.

20200628_165447.jpg

13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

20200628_164743.jpg

20200628_164822.jpg

Looking back, view as you exit bridge if coming South

20200628_164849.jpg

I take it the one through the tunnel wasn't exactly booked...would have been interesting if say Indian Chief was doing an evening run....I swear wide beam owners trade in their common sense when they buy these totally unsuitable boats....Oh and 14ft is bigger than the CRT specs for that part of the GU...

Hah, you think that's bad ...

IMG_20200624_084144918.jpg.183ac684b34ef8fc562853be77b40f5e.jpg

Mersey and Wye moored in traffic calming position on the bend before the swingbridge!

Also Equus looking pretty, for scale.

(Admittedly there's still room to get a 14' boat past them, but I chuckled when I saw them there.)

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

rtlist.

The one coming through Blisworth tunnel at 11pm last night and then mooring in Stoke Bruernes disabled mooring (still there at lunchtime when we left). 

The 14ft Aqueline monstrosity moored virtually in a bridge hole north of Gayton...

did you report to CRT, as they say they have had little or no reports of non booked transit . Matthew.symmonds@canalrivertrust.org.uk

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I might do tommorow, no point doing it on a weekend!!

Yes please do report it to Matthew. Looks like you can clearly see the index plate too. If you want to send the rest of the pictures to him that would be useful to show what it’s like out in the wild. 

7 hours ago, Dalesman said:

Poor steering you could get a real boat past there..!

AGREE...A BOAT...however, not what I said.....its on 2 blind bends one of which has a bridge over....and boats coming each way will struggle.

4 hours ago, matty40s said:

AGREE...A BOAT...however, not what I said.....its on 2 blind bends one of which has a bridge over....and boats coming each way will struggle.

Especially two huge fat 'rsed abominations. ;) coming either way. Good opportunity to keep your finger on the horn for the whole manouver.

Edited by mark99

BC277875-3F77-415D-BB05-BB6B0E96250F.jpeg.59eac07eb5b19e351211dfbfe804853d.jpeg

This creation has just passed us while we are moored up at the top of Anderton scaring the wits out of a newly picked up canal time. The creation had the audacity to have a word with the hire boat....given the max stated beam on this section is 7ft according to the CRT dimensions map and that thing is at least 12ft....and what’s more there are several that a larger including one I guess is 14ft moored right next to a bridgehole! 

Edited by frangar
adjust max width after double checking!

5 hours ago, frangar said:

BC277875-3F77-415D-BB05-BB6B0E96250F.jpeg.59eac07eb5b19e351211dfbfe804853d.jpeg

This creation has just passed us while we are moored up at the top of Anderton scaring the wits out of a newly picked up canal time. The creation had the audacity to have a word with the hire boat....given the max stated beam on this section is 7ft according to the CRT dimensions map and that thing is at least 12ft....and what’s more there are several that a larger including one I guess is 14ft moored right next to a bridgehole! 

Loads of them up there, they sell them at Wincham Wharf and a few moored in Park Farm

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Loads of them up there, they sell them at Wincham Wharf and a few moored in Park Farm

I noticed that they are in the Marina’s...not quite sure how CRT allow them given it’s a narrow waterway according to them! 

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

I noticed that they are in the Marina’s...not quite sure how CRT allow them given it’s a narrow waterway according to them! 

If they let them go up the N Oxford they will let them go anywhere. Not sure why CRT class that as narrow as the first bit of narrow is Middlewich 

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Because the only pinch points are Dutton Stop Lock at 9ft and Croxton Aqueduct at 7ft (which used to be wider!) until you get to the first narrow lock in Middlewich. 

That's nearly fifteen miles of canal, and if you add in about 5 miles of the River Weaver via the boat lift you could continuously cruise that section ...

:icecream:

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If they let them go up the N Oxford they will let them go anywhere. Not sure why CRT class that as narrow as the first bit of narrow is Middlewich 

There are several points that 2 widebeams couldn’t pass...in fact more than several....in fact a widebeam & a narrowboat would be fun. 

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Because the only pinch points are Dutton Stop Lock at 9ft and Croxton Aqueduct at 7ft (which used to be wider!) until you get to the first narrow lock in Middlewich. 

That's nearly fifteen miles of canal, and if you add in about 5 miles of the River Weaver via the boat lift you could continuously cruise that section ...

:icecream:

They are still wider than the CRT dimensions....but I take your point...that’s 5 years cruising for some boats...

Although there are a lot of widebeams in marinas at the top of the T & M I don't think I have actually seen any of them moving but as Frangar said there are some points where they could cause a problem for other boats. If you just want a boat to live on and are not interested in moving, mooring in a marina seems the answer. They don't bother anyone  and presumably enjoy living afloat.

haggis

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Although there are a lot of widebeams in marinas at the top of the T & M I don't think I have actually seen any of them moving but as Frangar said there are some points where they could cause a problem for other boats. If you just want a boat to live on and are not interested in moving, mooring in a marina seems the answer. They don't bother anyone  and presumably enjoy living afloat.

haggis

Widebeams ( So called, a daft term ) are vastly superior in every way to narrowbeam boats especialy to live aboard full time. However why these numpties insist on putting them on tiny waterways beggars belief. The Oxford is a ditch unable to cope with anything more than sewer tubes, its bonkers that bigger stuff is on there. CART need to stop them being put in places they are so unsuitable for. Yes fair enough let them stay in a marina but not out on the cut in the wrong place.

• Greenie 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, ructions on the cut....

A few days ago, a (probably) 10 foot work boat with Hiab crane pushed by a tug(Pochard) came past North at a fair pace( lots of moored boats here). About 7 or 8 people on the work boat sides and roof, and someone sat on Pochard directly in front of the driver. Much merriment was being had and I thought I'm glad I'm not coming the other way as theres no way the driver would see what's coming.

Anyhow, today it came back the other way, under the A5 bridge, and a narrowboat coming the other way already alongside moored boats. 

The wide workboat crew had much shouting and yelling at the narrowboat to move over and then at their own driver to "reverse, full reverse).

Which he did, damaging a new boat. The workboat crew moored and one of them went chasing the narrowboat skipper to bring him back as they said he was to blame for the damage. He did come back, however heated and foul language discussion took place resulting in an alleged assault, someone pushed over and bashing head. The police were called and 2 cars, 4 officers attended.

Anyhow, at the end of all this, the workboat set back off at absolute snail's pace this time, with a lookout each side of the forward end, and a lady stood behind the steerer this time to pass on instructions......probably how they should operate all the time if their risk assessments are done correctly. Which would all be great until the lady at the back decided to get her mobile out and stare at the screen instead of looking ahead.

20200722_190232.jpg