March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Mike will no doubt tell you that it went a largish way up the GU, at least once.

What that doesn't recognise though is that when it did wide beams of this type of dimension were pretty unusual on the GU, so he wouldn't have been passing one moored one after  another, or trying to pass ones coming the other way.

Yes the last time my boat was on the GU was at least 10 years ago. I do recognise things have changed but even then I went though popular places such as Marsworth where narrowboats were inconsiderately moored two abrest on both sides which fortunately didn't cause me any problems, but I saw other narrowboats trying to pass each other at that point and having some issues. I've seen the same thing on narrow canals too. As I've said before, I think there's probably more congestion caused by narrowboats than widebeams but it just doesn't register with a lot of narrowboaters. On the other hand when they see a widebeam causing an obstruction they're spitting feathers. I dare say some boaters in small plastic cruisers detest narrowboats for the same reason. We tend to focus our anger on those who we perceive as causing the problem, but our perceptions may not be based on fact.

7 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Here is a picture from a few years ago cratch now goneimage.jpeg.7e2d0cf3a89528e8190ffd70977b96d7.jpeg

That's not my boat by the way

25 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes the last time my boat was on the GU was at least 10 years ago. I do recognise things have changed but even then I went though popular places such as Marsworth where narrowboats were inconsiderately moored two abrest on both sides which fortunately didn't cause me any problems, but I saw other narrowboats trying to pass each other at that point and having some issues. I've seen the same thing on narrow canals too. As I've said before, I think there's probably more congestion caused by narrowboats than widebeams but it just doesn't register with a lot of narrowboaters. On the other hand when they see a widebeam causing an obstruction they're spitting feathers. I dare say some boaters in small plastic cruisers detest narrowboats for the same reason. We tend to focus our anger on those who we perceive as causing the problem, but our perceptions may not be based on fact.

That's not my boat by the way

I know its my boat note the wheelhouse! you wanted a picture of it

12 hours ago, Trevor Lyons said:

I've only recently discovered this forum. David John, who produces the excellent "CruisingTheCut" Vlogs alerted me to it:

What’s the narrowboat forum you mention sometimes in your videos?
The forum I gained most of my info from is canalworld.net. It’s got loads of very expert people who chip in but the only thing you have to watch is that sometimes the discussions veer (quickly) wildly off on a tangent, which is unhelpful, or occasionally descend into vitriolic arguments. If you can wade your way through that occasional treacle, it’s good stuff.

However, it seems that forum members just can't prevent themselves from calling other peoples boats "pug ugly" or worse, or saying "I don't want to offend" when in reality that's precisely what they want. So, while I'll visit this forum  and "wade through the treacle" and "vitriol" to get news and information, in future I'll keep my contributions to a minimum. It's not a question of being thin-skinned (I've a hide like a rhino); I just think that grown-up canal boaters should behave more maturely and treat each other with more respect.

If David from Cruising The Cut was kind enough to take the time to answer your question then I don't think it was particularly polite or mature to then use him and his reply to you as a tool to score points on this forum, where he is also a member. 

Poor show really. 

• Greenie 2

We have a wide beam 11’ wide and have in the last two years travelled the length of the K&A several times, and  have just returned from a trip up the GU all the way up to Bordesley (Camps Hill) never had any troubles passing any other wide beams, lots of them. We did find the antics of some narrowboaters quite amusing as they passed wide beams.

13 hours ago, Tumshie said:

If David from Cruising The Cut was kind enough to take the time to answer your question then I don't think it was particularly polite or mature to then use him and his reply to you as a tool to score points on this forum, where he is also a member. 

Poor show really. 

David did not "take the time to answer (my) question ". The quotation was from David's FAQ page, and I can't see how it could be impolite or immature to quote him. So not a "poor show" at all.

Edited by Trevor Lyons

I find the utilitarian design of many modern widebeam canal boats pretty grim from an aesthetic point of view.  

Though there are exceptions such as Tranquil Rose: 

serveimage.jpeg

A nicely maintained Tjalk can be a thing of stunning beauty - wide though they may be.   

I also find many modern Dutch Barge designs pleasing to the eye. 

Edited by bagginz
  • Greenie 2

On 11/10/2019 at 10:37, Trevor Lyons said:

What’s the narrowboat forum you mention sometimes in your videos?
The forum I gained most of my info from is canalworld.net. It’s got loads of very expert people who chip in but the only thing you have to watch is that sometimes the discussions veer (quickly) wildly off on a tangent, which is unhelpful, or occasionally descend into vitriolic arguments. If you can wade your way through that occasional treacle, it’s good stuff.

That is how this forum works David.

Edited by rusty69
changed a to this

4 hours ago, bagginz said:

I find the utilitarian design of many modern widebeam canal boats pretty grim from an aesthetic point of view.  

Though there are exceptions such as Tranquil Rose: 

When ever I have met Tranquil Rose crew they have always been very polite and above all they know how to handle a wide boat.

6 hours ago, Trevor Lyons said:

David did not "take the time to answer (my) question ". The quotation was from David's FAQ page, and I can't see how it could be impolite or immature to quote him. So not a "poor show" at all.

Actually it is poor show - you quoted a well known YouTube personality with out his permission in order to give yourself more credibility because you feel you and your boat haven't been given the credibility and respect that you think you should have been; you have embroiled David in this childish point scoring spat that he probably would not want to be involved in. This forum and the narrowboat community is small and tight knit, you didn't quote some far flung celebrity you quoted someone from our forum and our community, where he is known on a human level.  

Though I can quite believe that you yourself wouldn't see it as impolite or childish that doesn't mean that it wasn't.

6 hours ago, rusty69 said:

That is how this forum works David.

Do you think he talking about us. :giggles: We can be terribly unhelpful (sometimes). 

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Where there's Bogle there's usually a Beagle :D

Wow, I didn't know you was the famous American Vanguard investor.

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Where there's Bogle there's usually a Beagle :D

Mmmmm. Bogle and Beagle. Could we start a private investigation company?Though I think Beagle and Bogle would be better.

• Greenie 1

PS I had to google Mcguffin. I thought it may have been  Macgyvers brother.....it wasn't.

Just now, Tumshie said:

Oh :blush:

Who you bean this week then?

Well, I just changed cat suit. I was Felix, but am now snagglepuss. Dunno who I will be tomorrow.

• Haha 1