March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

53 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Just so comfy and so much room you can extend your arms without touching the sides ? and thats because its a proper size boat

Proper boats for proper people! ?

1563051975984.jpg

3 minutes ago, pete23 said:

I do apologise in advance...I don’t post much on here, but that in my opinion isn’t nice! 

Well let's have a look at yours then.

Edited by blackrose
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

How many years ago was it that Blackrose (the boat) did a journey on a canal? More of a river boat I believe ;)

Mike will no doubt tell you that it went a largish way up the GU, at least once.

What that doesn't recognise though is that when it did wide beams of this type of dimension were pretty unusual on the GU, so he wouldn't have been passing one moored one after  another, or trying to pass ones coming the other way.

Back then the presence of a few didn't cause any real problems.  Now with virtually every new boat being craned in on the GU being wide, it has really spoilt that waterway for many users.

Also the 12 foot plus ones seem to be where much of the growth is.  Those of 10 foot or 10 foot 6 inches were marginally less of a problem, but the vast majority going in now seem to be the real monsters. worse again is the move to wheel steering, which few owners seem able to hack.

Wide beams are fine in their place, but the vast numbers on the GU is not the right place for them to be.

• Greenie 4

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Wide beams are fine in their place, but the vast numbers on the GU is not the right place for them to be.

At least you don't have to slow down when passing a line of moored widebeams though....

:icecream:

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

48 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Mike will no doubt tell you that it went a largish way up the GU, at least once.

What that doesn't recognise though is that when it did wide beams of this type of dimension were pretty unusual on the GU, so he wouldn't have been passing one moored one after  another, or trying to pass ones coming the other way.

Back then the presence of a few didn't cause any real problems.  Now with virtually every new boat being craned in on the GU being wide, it has really spoilt that waterway for many users.

Also the 12 foot plus ones seem to be where much of the growth is.  Those of 10 foot or 10 foot 6 inches were marginally less of a problem, but the vast majority going in now seem to be the real monsters. worse again is the move to wheel steering, which few owners seem able to hack.

I think "expert" salespeople and naive buyers have a lot to do with it.  Wow...it's got a "dream kitchen" and "dream wardrobes" let's not worry about the fact it has a 4mm baseplate.

I've only recently discovered this forum. David John, who produces the excellent "CruisingTheCut" Vlogs alerted me to it:

What’s the narrowboat forum you mention sometimes in your videos?
The forum I gained most of my info from is canalworld.net. It’s got loads of very expert people who chip in but the only thing you have to watch is that sometimes the discussions veer (quickly) wildly off on a tangent, which is unhelpful, or occasionally descend into vitriolic arguments. If you can wade your way through that occasional treacle, it’s good stuff.

However, it seems that forum members just can't prevent themselves from calling other peoples boats "pug ugly" or worse, or saying "I don't want to offend" when in reality that's precisely what they want. So, while I'll visit this forum  and "wade through the treacle" and "vitriol" to get news and information, in future I'll keep my contributions to a minimum. It's not a question of being thin-skinned (I've a hide like a rhino); I just think that grown-up canal boaters should behave more maturely and treat each other with more respect.

Edited by Trevor Lyons
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Trevor Lyons said:

However, it seems that forum members just can't prevent themselves from calling other peoples boats "pug ugly" or worse, or saying "I don't want to offend" when in reality that's precisely what they want. So, while I'll visit this forum  and "wade through the treacle" and "vitriol" to get news and information, in future I'll keep my contributions to a minimum. It's not a question of being thin-skinned (I've a hide like a rhino); I just think that grown-up canal boaters should behave more maturely and treat each other with more respect.

Some also have a sense of humour.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

this is definitely the case in my recent experience