March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Whilst it is improved since the offside vegetation was cut back, personally I would not moor any boat there, can’t see the point.  It is not like it is close to road access or anything.

Its the first bit of piling

17 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Whilst it is improved since the offside vegetation was cut back, personally I would not moor any boat there, can’t see the point.  It is not like it is close to road access or anything.

Its the first bit of piling

13 minutes ago, johnmck said:

Just a bit further along past Wigrams turn and on the South Oxford, we came across this monstrosity.  We had already squeezed past the shed Ditchcrawler photographed.

20190901_120715.jpg

May I suggest you send this in to CRT...the more that do possibly something might hit home....

16 minutes ago, frangar said:

May I suggest you send this in to CRT...the more that do possibly something might hit home....

Reported to CRT.  I have nothing against broad craft, on suitable navigation...

But they are spreading onto narrow canals and as in this instance , impeding navigation.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Or moor on the Narrowest bit of the GU

DSCF2512small.jpg

This boat seems to have been moored there for quite some time, almost abandoned even, the ropes are getting  frayed as they rub against the pilings, swings about quite a bit to.

Just now, F DRAYKE said:

This boat seems to have been moored there for quite some time, almost abandoned even, the ropes are getting  frayed as they rub against the pilings, swings about quite a bit to.

I have also mentioned this one in my email to CRT.  

• Greenie 1

I passed that shed on my way back to the marina last Friday.

As someone else said, it is moored right at the start of the armco. This means that much more armco was visible to the steerer as he/she arrived. Every single inch of that Armco would have been better than the bit that was chosen and some of it much better as there are a couple of "lay-by" bits where the canal is significantly wider.

I could only conclude that it was no accident that the steerer chose the most unsuitable bit (of one of the busiest canals in the country) to moor, indeed it would have been a challenge to find anywhere more unsuitable, so it was left there with the intention of making it as difficult as possible for as many narrowboats as possible. 

Someone intentionally being a bit of a git?    (perhaps in retaliation against this and similar threads)

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I passed that shed on my way back to the marina last Friday.

As someone else said, it is moored right at the start of the armco. This means that much more armco was visible to the steerer as he/she arrived. Every single inch of that Armco would have been better than the bit that was chosen and some of it much better as there are a couple of "lay-by" bits where the canal is significantly wider.

I could only conclude that it was no accident that the steerer chose the most unsuitable bit (of one of the busiest canals in the country) to moor, indeed it would have been a challenge to find anywhere more unsuitable, so it was left there with the intention of making it as difficult as possible for as many narrowboats as possible. 

Someone intentionally being a bit of a git?    (perhaps in retaliation against this and similar threads)

I don't think so. The number of boats I pass moored in the narrow bit of a canal when there's wider fifty yards further on astonishes me. It's just thoughtlessness, as usual. 

The same as mooring on the only bend for miles which we saw the other day, a long straight section, corner with narrow boat moored then another long straight section. Some boaters don't seem to have a clue about boating.

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Or moor on the Narrowest bit of the GU

DSCF2512small.jpg

I too passed this boat last week as per the picture below.

I wondered how such a boat could cruise almost anywhere at all but @matty40s told me it had been lifted in at Stowe Hill and it’s clearly got to Napton.

While I am something of a lone voice amongst confirmed narrowboaters in defending the right of any craft within the published dimensions to be able to navigate the canal concerned I do question the wisdom of seeming non-enforcement against blatant disregard for the published dimensions.

JP

5986F9CC-BBAF-4233-9B11-01AF5CD0CB2A.jpeg

14 hours ago, Tuscan said:

I passed this today, we rocked on the bottom passing close to the bank. What was surprising was the upper ‘flying bridge’ structure was steel so could not be taken down.  I imagine it will struggle with some of the bridges as he moves down the Oxford to the GU

You passed it today? I passed it there about three weeks ago!!!

19 hours ago, frangar said:

According to CRT,  the beast has moved on. Bet it's not far though, but at least off the narrow canal, hopefully.

8 hours ago, billS said:

That boat has also an overhanging deck plate, which is high enough and wide enough to scratch a narrowboat cabin sides if one does come into contact with it.

Yes, it upped un concentration level

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

1988742858_PoCJkKQRiS9NUieeGIxqw.jpg.0098894f4ae0dca18c48df246f5a70e4.jpg

To be fair, it was 18th August I photographed it.

My photo was on the 2 September

20 minutes ago, frangar said:

Moored like a twat.....?

You're right!

Careful though, I have had posts deleted for using the word 'twat', in jest!

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Thats impossible. Thats more than 14 days ?

Yeah, 15!