March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

On 26/07/2019 at 22:09, ditchcrawler said:

On pinchpoints, one I had forgotten.  A boater asked how far above Chester they could get in their wide beam, coming from the Manchester Ship Canal via Ellesmere, lots replied Nantwich but then someone pointed out the bridge just outside Ellesmere Port is now narrow so you cant even get to Chester

Isn't that the motorway bridge (or similar modern road infrastructure?) 

There was a period in the 60's when we were lucky to get bridges at all on some canals, and in one or two cases like the Lancaster the luck ran out

On 14/08/2019 at 17:57, cuthound said:

Depending upon where on the K&A that is, pre 1990 it might not have even been in water.

I believe it to be the pound between Monkey Marsh Lock and Widmead Lock.

The section from the Thames to Hungerford Wharf was reopened in 1974 surprisingly but of course a lot of rebuilding of locks was done between then and 1990.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennet_and_Avon_Canal

Keith

I didn’t realise how rude some people can be. The term narrow boat and narrow minded seems to be one and the same. 

So glad I discovered this before I purchased thing that rocks like a sewer pipe and committed to joining you on those crowded canals. I’ll stick to the open seas where individuality is not met with such a disgraceful attitude. 

14 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I didn’t realise how rude some people can be. The term narrow boat and narrow minded seems to be one and the same. 

So glad I discovered this before I purchased thing that rocks like a sewer pipe and committed to joining you on those crowded canals. I’ll stick to the open seas where individuality is not met with such a disgraceful attitude. 

:D

This thread, like many on CWDF, is filled with discussion, humour and banter, and what might at first appear to be rude comments are in fact tongue-in-cheek - as I'm sure yours is.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

You won’t be missed....bye!! 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

From what I have seen there is an equal amount of narrow mindedness, snobbery and rudeness out on the lumpy waters. From those comments you should fit in well there.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

But this is the Canal World Forum, not the open sea forum, I don't think many of us would advocate taking a Narrowboat out on the open seas. Horses for courses.

Edited by ditchcrawler
cuss i cnit spill

15 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Saw this on Facebook...Got stuck this weekend near Stockton!

FB_IMG_1566150251197.jpg

And people wonder why I refer to them a skips....there is no shape to the sides at all. I hope the owners have been charged for any bridge damage as that “boat” is clearly unsuitable for the waterway. 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, frangar said:

And people wonder why I refer to them a skips....there is no shape to the sides at all. I hope the owners have been charged for any bridge damage as that “boat” is clearly unsuitable for the waterway. 

Its OK he has his fenders down

36 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Just needs a load of ballast on the port side and it will be OK

Load of ballast; yes, but I'd load it in the middle. Any list will effectively make the boat wider, and, on the port sde, will force it further away from the towpath.