March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I see that Narrowboats Ltd at Wincham are craning in things that aint narrow.

20190724_170024.jpg.5c178e7a8e1212a1b0b6a67c2637e588.jpg

There were a couple in the water and several more on the bank. These will only be able to navigate the T&M between Dutton and Croxton Aqueduct - and significant lengths of that, although built nominally wide, are only just wide enough for two narrow boats to pass. They can also go down Anderton Lift to the Weaver, but then where? Do they just disappear into marinas, or do they get craned out again and sent to the lower GU?

Unlikely I would think.  It would be hundreds if not thousands of pounds cheaper to drop them onto a trailer at Lostock Gralam and hit the M6 rather than drop them in the water and then crane them out elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's the advantage of a 'big boat' ( they are 3-dimensional)

I tend to put NB's into the shade - this is a 32 foot GRP NB moored next to us.

CAM00021.jpg

CAM00020.jpg

I know. This is my main objection to them. So bloody selfish to run such a big volume boat on such a small canal, don'tcher think?

30 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There were a couple in the water and several more on the bank. These will only be able to navigate the T&M between Dutton and Croxton Aqueduct - and significant lengths of that, although built nominally wide, are only just wide enough for two narrow boats to pass. They can also go down Anderton Lift to the Weaver, but then where? Do they just disappear into marinas, or do they get craned out again and sent to the lower GU?

They go full circle, one was lifted in to Caen Hill Marina last year....the couple were fitting it out as they went along, by the time it had got to Whilton, they had enough of the abuse they received for mooring on lock landings etc and sold it back to Wincham. They lifted it out and put it back on the hard standing up North, still not finished, but for sale anyway.

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

They go full circle, one was lifted in to Caen Hill Marina last year....the couple were fitting it out as they went along, by the time it had got to Whilton, they had enough of the abuse they received for mooring on lock landings etc and sold it back to Wincham. They lifted it out and put it back on the hard standing up North, still not finished, but for sale anyway.

It does seem that widebeams or perhaps more correctly the sort of people that buy them seem to moor in daft places and think that common sense and any rules doesn’t apply to them...then wonder why they are not liked by other boaters...oh and trust me it’s not jealousy...more like pity if anything. 

10 minutes ago, frangar said:

It does seem that widebeams or perhaps more correctly the sort of people that buy them seem to moor in daft places and think that common sense and any rules doesn’t apply to them...then wonder why they are not liked by other boaters...oh and trust me it’s not jealousy...more like pity if anything. 

My own view is that widebeam buyers are fundamentally thick-skinned and selfish people, with a few notable exceptions. This explains a lot about Absumus and quite a few other of the bustard big'uns one sees moored in places I'd think twice about mooring a NB. 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My own view is that widebeam buyers are fundamentally thick-skinned and selfish people, with a few notable exceptions. This explains a lot about Absumus and quite a few other of the bustard big'uns one sees moored in places I'd think twice about mooring a NB. 

I am heartened to hear its not just Me , its largely a South East thing in my opinion but with a 70 foot Boat myself these wide beams just seem to be haunting me everywhere I go nd as you say Mike often inhabited by the thick skinned and selfish . I was moored next to one last year with an incredible four cars belonging to its inhabitants , Mother , Father , Son and Girlfriend .

Absumus I think translates to I am absent ( where is Nicknorman when you need him ) Absent of Brain and Intelligence in my experience . I have to admit I met one Hippy Type Couple who had an older Widebeam , absolute salt of the earth says Parahandy whilst gritting his teeth

19 minutes ago, Parahandy said:

Absumus I think translates to I am absent ( where is Nicknorman when you need him ) Absent of Brain and Intelligence in my experience . I have to admit I met one Hippy Type Couple who had an older Widebeam , absolute salt of the earth says Parahandy whilst gritting his teeth

My experience too. A few fantastic peeps on widebeams but most are PITA just in it for themselves and fk everyone else. 

17 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Widebeams block out the light when moored nearby. Not only are they fat but they are TALL too. 

I thought this recently with a massive widebeam that quite literally has garden decking on the roof! It's moored near me in Berko at the moment. It looks grand up there like, sipping a Pimms, but I'm glad they didn't moor up next door!!

On 24/07/2019 at 21:42, David Mack said:

20190724_170024.jpg.5c178e7a8e1212a1b0b6a67c2637e588.jpg

There were a couple in the water and several more on the bank. These will only be able to navigate the T&M between Dutton and Croxton Aqueduct - and significant lengths of that, although built nominally wide, are only just wide enough for two narrow boats to pass. They can also go down Anderton Lift to the Weaver, but then where? Do they just disappear into marinas, or do they get craned out again and sent to the lower GU?

There are ten of them in the marina where we are, some go down on the Weaver 

On pinchpoints, one I had forgotten.  A boater asked how far above Chester they could get in their wide beam, coming from the Manchester Ship Canal via Ellesmere, lots replied Nantwich but then someone pointed out the bridge just outside Ellesmere Port is now narrow so you cant even get to Chester

• 3 weeks later...

Thats nice driving for a widebeam hire boat.  Where exactly is this?

We normally winter on the K&A but now winter up North and are visiting the K&A right now, its all very green and abundant in the summer.

..............Dave

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

If they dont cut the vegetation back there soon will be. ?

I can remember when it was only wide enough for a narrow boat through there due to the vegetation. It never gets cut back BTW.

That's the trouble with only narrow boats on a wide waterway, they make the channel narrow.

Keith

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

I can remember when it was only wide enough for a narrow boat through there due to the vegetation. It never gets cut back BTW.

That's the trouble with only narrow boats on a wide waterway, they make the channel narrow.

Keith

I can remember when seeing reeds intuding significantly into a waterway was a rare event, unlike these days. ?