March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

The discussion was about the reasons for the difference in published maximum craft dimensions which are;-

72’ 0” x 14’ 0” x 4’ 0” south of Berkhamsted, and

72’ 0” x 12’ 6” x 3’ 9” north of Berkhamsted.

Your boat is apparently 57’ 0” x 12’ 0” x 2’ 2” which may explain your particular experience.

JP

Ok, so it's not about passing boats then.

Edited by blackrose

15 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Ok, so it's not about passing boats then.

It is now, it wasn’t at the point you interjected.

My point was the reason why Warwickshire Fly Boat Bridge is unlikely to ever be made 14’ wide in response to a suggestion that it should be. To be honest I’m not entirely sure what point you are trying to make. No one involved in this little discourse has said you shouldn’t be taking your widebeam north of Berkhamsted; although if you want something to rail against I’m sure you’ll find it elsewhere in this thread.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, furnessvale said:

Leaving Braunston the other day, I met a fat boat as it was coming off the North Oxford.  It had a convoy of six narrowboats behind it.

They all looked rather glum.  I'll bet he was popular!

George

Yes this is the main problem with widebeams in my experience too. Not that they can't pass each other when they meet, but they go at about half the speed of narrowboats and hold you up horribly. 

24 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Leaving Braunston the other day, I met a fat boat as it was coming off the North Oxford.  It had a convoy of six narrowboats behind it.

They all looked rather glum.  I'll bet he was popular!

George

CRT are complicit by their lack of activity in relation to problems on the north Oxford as they should either ban widebeams or work to maintain the canal as best as they can to accommodate them. Given their failure to act in good time the former option is probably lost.

As I said to you the other day my one “canal wish” would be to restore the Braunston stop narrows to 7’ and reverse the widening of the Birmingham line. In places you can envisage what a beautiful narrow canal the Warwick & Napton must have been when facing away from the large locks and looking out on the countryside over the remaining narrow chambers. The GUCCo were no friends of the traditions of the Midland’s canals and it’s people. Had their grand scheme been successful I might see it differently but it wasn’t so I mostly just consider it an act of vandalism.

JP

1 hour ago, canalboat said:

e.g. South Stratford

One of the locks on Wilmcote is a bit narrow.

But while we are on the subject of the South Stratford on a thread about the march of the widebeams, this one was a new one for m,e a widebeam moored in the basin at Stratford (and I don't mean one of the two trip boats that operate from there).  Not sure if that is considered ok or not?

IMG_3804.JPG

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

But while we are on the subject of the South Stratford on a thread about the march of the widebeams, this one was a new one for m,e a widebeam moored in the basin at Stratford (and I don't mean one of the two trip boats that operate from there).  Not sure if that is considered ok or not?

IMG_3804.JPG

Why not? The wide lock linking the basin to the river wss presumably built for just this purpose.

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

"Ok" in what way? 

It must have come up from the River, surely? Is the basin CRT for licencing, or Avon? Is that what you mean? 

6 minutes ago, john6767 said:

It’s entirely legitimate, at least in terms of size. Licensing might be a different issue. CRT quote 15’ specifically for craft entering the basin from the Avon. Even if they didn’t explicitly state such there’s still a logic that says it’s OK because it’s just a sensible thing to allow.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

49 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Why not? The wide lock linking the basin to the river wss presumably built for just this purpose.

55 minutes ago, john6767 said:

IMG_3804.JPG

There was one in the basin owned by the director of the Theater, It came from the K&A by river

7 hours ago, canalboat said:

e.g. South Stratford

Swift spent a bit of time in Lock 44 on the way to the Stratford festival. It's the same every year getting to and from the festival but reports from the crew are that is was worse this year.

6 hours ago, john6767 said:

IMG_3804.JPG

It's currently got a "for sale - viewings today" board on top of it!

I suspect it will be gone tomorrow when the festival is over.

Have spoken to the owner of the fat boat and its beam = 12' 6". He is very upset about all the speculation that has taken place on the forums. But then I haven't noticed him contributing to this forum and nipping things in the bud by posting this somewhat critical dimension. Apparently work on the bridge masonry commences today – indeed it may well have started by now! 

12 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Have spoken to the owner of the fat boat and its beam = 12' 6". He is very upset about all the speculation that has taken place on the forums. But then I haven't noticed him contributing to this forum and nipping things in the bud by posting this somewhat critical dimension. Apparently work on the bridge masonry commences today – indeed it may well have started by now! 

Ahhhhh, bless.

20 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Is it a different 12ft 6" to Tranquil Rose then?

4 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Is it a different 12ft 6" to Tranquil Rose then?

It's been strongly suggested on here that Tranquil Rose is no longer able to transit this bridge hole .......... although there has been no hint of her not being able to get through Blue Lias Bridge immediately east of here.

37 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

Have spoken to the owner of the fat boat and its beam = 12' 6". He is very upset about all the speculation that has taken place on the forums. 

If he had bought a boat suitable for the canal, there would have been no speculation.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

If he had bought a boat suitable for the canal, there would have been no speculation.

Is that not the problem (and the reason C&RT are spending money to widen the bridge) ?

He did buy a boat which according to C&RTs published information WAS SUITABLE for the canal.

Forum member may believe it to be unsuitable but the 'track-owner' says otherwise.

• Greenie 1

Get the daft beggar through the bridge then rebuild it for narrow boats so he can't get back in to the proper canal made for proper size boats.

Preferably let these barge skips sail all the way to the coasts, out to sea and then not let them back in. 

Bugger off to the Continent with the stupid boats.

• Greenie 1