March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, canalboat said:

Somebody just said it is now stuck.  Does that mean the canal is closed - does anybody know the latest.

I suspect this is just semantics. Ys it is stuck, because it can't pass through the bridge. It strikes me there are three possibilities:

1) They reverse to a winding hole then go back to where it was pt in for a lift out and lorry past the bridges

2) They wait for CRT to widen the two bridges so the can get through

3) They stay were they are in perpetuity

Option 2) seems unlikely, despite CRT (do we KNOW it was CRT?) have had a half-hearted go at the first bridge already. Option 3 seems unlikely as it is in the way. So we are just waiting for them to come to terms with doing 1), I imagine. Probably quite a lot of behind-the-scenes squabbling going on about who pays IO would imagine, which could be another cause of the delay. 

It was passable on Saturday when we went through at lunchtime.  

The latest chapter of the story is that one of the hotel boats (a regular between Napton and Warwick) could not get through the bridge.  According to the Skipper they have never had a problem getting through before (12'6" widebeam).  As a result they had to turnaround and take their guests to Wigrams Turn rather than Warwick.  He wasn't sure if this was anything that CRT had done recently that caused the issue or longer term bridge subsidence problem.  The saga continues...

On 30/06/2019 at 17:03, Clodi said:

Has anyone actually spoken to the people onboard the boat & got the real story?

I had someone pop down to the fat boat half an hour ago and they reported that there was no-one aboard to ask. We will maybe repeat the exercise in a day or so!

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Up-Side-Down said:

I had someone pop down to the fat boat half an hour ago and they reported that there was no-one aboard to ask. We will maybe repeat the exercise in a day or so!

Take a tape measure......

47 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is that where you use an 'apple-John' (or was it a 'Plum-Bob') ?

He didn't mention taking a plumb bob. Just a tape measure, which is why I asked!

It is a recurring trope on here that you can measure the width of a boat in the water with a tape measure. I hold it cannot be done with the degree of accuracy needed to know if tight bridge holes, locks etc will fit. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

He didn't mention taking a plumb bob. Just a tape measure, which is why I asked!

Do you take all posts on here quite so literally?? I credited you with more sense than that......

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It is a recurring trope on here that you can measure the width of a boat in the water with a tape measure. I hold it cannot be done with the degree of accuracy needed to know if tight bridge holes, locks etc will fit. 

I've never tried, but how about this?

Measure bridge 'ole.

Place boat in bridge 'ole, hard against one side.

Measure gap between boat and other side.

Subtract one from t'other.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've never tried, but how about this?

Measure bridge 'ole.

Place boat in bridge 'ole, hard against one side.

Measure gap between boat and other side.

Subtract one from t'other.

You're not following this at all are you Mike!

1) The boat concerned does not below to any of us, so moving it into the bridge 'ole is not really practical.

2) The restriction in the bridge 'ole preventing the boat passing is some way below water level. 

3) There is some debate about the fouling one one side of the boat being cause by lack of air draft causing the superstructure to meet the brisge deck, and on the other side the fouling is below the water line. Fat lot of good a tape measure is gonna be here! 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

You're not following this at all are you Mike!

1) The boat concerned does not below to any of us

2) The restriction in the bridge 'ole preventing the boat passing is some way below water level. 

Yes, I am.

Your question in post no. 634 appeared to refer to boats in general, not to any specific one. So there was no "boat concerned"; I can't see, either, how its ownership would affect how it could be measured.

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Then why did they remove the coping stones ?

Because an “engineer” came, took a look and instructed CRT operatives to do so.

I put engineer in quotes as that is who one of the CRT operatives involved told me was coming.

Of course the quotes could be taken to imply another meaning.

44 minutes ago, davidg said:

Because an “engineer” came, took a look and instructed CRT operatives to do so.

I put engineer in quotes as that is who one of the CRT operatives involved told me was coming.

Of course the quotes could be taken to imply another meaning.

Were they "Engineering" bricks they removed