March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, archie57 said:

Had a Lister FR3 with radiator, fitted Saltley, 1956 I believe

Correct - May 1956 and replaced by a Bolinder 15hp by Seymour-Roseblade (but owned by Nick Hill) in about 1965 then the Lister HA2 a year or so later.

I have no record of a bus engine, but the Lister FR3 with a radiator might have been misinterpreted as such :captain:

3 hours ago, dmr said:

There are 4 or 5 of these monsters in Salthouse dock right now. All are squarebacks and the interesting thing is they all have zero tumblehome, in fact because the cabin sides turn in at the bow they actually have negative tumblehome when looking at them from the front which looks really odd. They appear to have very effective bowthrusters :).

..............Dave

Yes, and one has nicked my mooring that was booked 3 months ago!

12 minutes ago, nipper said:

Yes, and one has nicked my mooring that was booked 3 months ago!

The mooring allocation has gone badly wrong this year, we have already moved twice due to double booking. When we booked the pontoon had to be reserved by phone but now its done online, I suspect they have not correctly merged the two systems. Also the bookings are no longer done by Steph at the Wigan office but by Northwich, and I always felt that Steph was well in control of things.

.............Dave

22 minutes ago, dmr said:

The mooring allocation has gone badly wrong this year, we have already moved twice due to double booking. When we booked the pontoon had to be reserved by phone but now its done online, I suspect they have not correctly merged the two systems. Also the bookings are no longer done by Steph at the Wigan office but by Northwich, and I always felt that Steph was well in control of things.

.............Dave

You do know that Steph no longer works for CRT, don't you?

She left last year.

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You do know that Steph no longer works for CRT, don't you?

She left last year.

Did not know that, very sad, she was both efficient and fun to talk to. I also hear that the famous Sid (of Sids ditch) is no longer directly involved with the Liverpool link.

Did Steph leave due to "p*ssed off with CRT management" ? we do meet quite a few demoralised CRT employees.

...............Dave

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Other options are available :

Image result for tumble away

Image result for tumble weed

LOGIK LVD7W18 7 kg Vented Tumble Dryer - White

I see that the lower image shares the same styling cues as the latest widebeams.

Look its even got a porthole to maintain the nautical styling cues! ?

Edited by cuthound
To add the last paragraph
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Did he also change the Windtone horn I got for her - not original!

I do not know about the horn but Mr Braby did fit a fore cabin to JAGUAR - but fortunately it was soon replaced with a deck again.

I hope my input here does not give the impression that I know anything about Joshers :captain:

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

I hope my input here does not give the impression that I know anything about Joshers

Not at all.  Nor do I.  Heavy arsed cows.

Why do people think they are wonderful ?

On 26/05/2019 at 21:50, johnmck said:

Got to say, Tinternet is crap at Crick!

Hopefully, I have managed to download a couple of pictures of the boat soon heading for Dunchrch Pools from Braunston.

The fixed steel ladder on the stern is obviously for dredging...

IMG_20190525_205004.jpg

just for information, this vessel weighed in at 50 1/2 tonnes.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

just for information, this vessel weighed in at 50 1/2 tonnes.

And I've only just noticed, the signage says electric propulsion!

That should ensure we never see it out on the cut.....

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

With a long enough shoreline it could make it to the pumpout jetty and back. :boat:

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

With a long enough shoreline it could make it to the pumpout jetty and back. :boat:

It presumably has a monster f*ckoff genny to charge the batts and run all that air conditioning...

What a farce, if it has! 

"Eco friendly", my arse....

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's hybrid drive actually.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

the 25% 'electric propulsion' discount on the licence

At the licence review a couple of years ago, CRT said they would publish new guidance on this by 1st April 2019, but I have not seen or heard anything since then.

The logic that came out of the exercise was that running a genny to charge a battery bank to electrically propel a vessel is so inefficient that there should not be a "greenwash" discount to encourage it.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So does that qualify for the 25% 'electric propulsion' discount on the licence? 

From the licence T&Cs

Electric Motor 25% discount if the Boat has an electric motor as its sole means of propulsion.

I would guess from that that if you have an engine (for charging your batteries) that is NOT connected to the prop shaft then the answer would be 'yes'.

You could run the engine, simply to turn an electric motor that in turn rotated the prop.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

From the licence T&Cs

Electric Motor 25% discount if the Boat has an electric motor as its sole means of propulsion.

I would guess from that that if you have an engine (for charging your batteries) that is NOT connected to the prop shaft then the answer would be 'yes'.

You could run the engine, simply to turn an electric motor that in turn rotated the prop.

That's how I interpret it too. 

Engine>propeller = maximum efficiency and minimum losses

Engine>generator>battery charger>battery>electric motor>propeller = minimum efficiency and maximum losses

The 25% discount should apply to the first case not the second, if saving the planet is the point of the discount!