March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

Isn't the narrow bit on the North Oxford, half way between Braunston and Dunchurch pools narrower than 14ft (just north of the bends where it is nice to spend a night)? Lots of overgrowth there but there's not that much room either side of our nb when we go through.

As Matty says, there are a dozen wide beams in Dunchurch ......but they do move now and again............to go and get pumped out.

16 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Isn't the narrow bit on the North Oxford, half way between Braunston and Dunchurch pools narrower than 14ft (just north of the bends where it is nice to spend a night)? Lots of overgrowth there but there's not that much room either side of our nb when we go through.

As Matty says, there are a dozen wide beams in Dunchurch ......but they do move now and again............to go and get pumped out.

just shy of Willoughby there is an old bridge hole which has collapsed in on the towpath side, and overgrown on offside.

If the big grey widebeam is still at Willoughby moorings, it could get interesting indeed.

7 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Well, it was designed by a 6 year old.  "Draw me a boat, please Johnny".

Well it reminds me of the Thames houseboats that were everywhere (and still are to an extent) back in the 1970s. A big box nicely fitted out for living in, no intention of ever moving it unless forced to. I suspect marinas will steadily fill up with these over the next decade or so as they are half the price of the equivalent accommodation in the form of a house. 

And why not? 

I also predict we will see them with ever smaller propellers and engines, and eventually we will be getting them with a small electric motor and solar-charged battery bank capable of moving them little further than to the pump-out pontoon and back, but which will render them qualifying for the 'electric propulsion' 25% license discount.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well it reminds me of the Thames houseboats that were everywhere (and still are to an extent) back in the 1970s. A big box nicely fitted out for living in, no intention of ever moving it unless forced to. I suspect marinas will steadily fill up with these over the next decade or so as they are half the price of the equivalent accommodation in the form of a house. 

And why not? 

....in which case, it makes perfect sense for it to be boxy in shape. Not ideal for cutting through the water, but plenty of interior Lebensraum.

4 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Very true, so let's call it a 'Houseboat'.  Most of the Thames ones require a tug to move them.  No propulsion.

1572730[1].jpg

Yes exactly that sort of thing. No engine, although possibly an outboard for emergency use. 

On the canals ISTR a boat needs propulsion though, but I'm not expert. Could any of these boats built obviously for accommodation not cruising actually get a license without an engine? I think not as genuine 'houseboat' licences are no longer issued IIRC.  But mebbe Nigel (or someone) could clarify.

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Why spend £10k on a Beta 48 installation which is only going to do three hours a year? Something cheaper and electric fits the bill all around for a marina-dwelling house boat. 

If its the boatbthat Elton Moss planned to exhibit (they told me they were struggling to finish it) then it has hydrid drive.  Why spend all that extra just to sit in a marina.

The boat is no doubt someone's pride and joy, a cherished dream turned into reality.

Our view of its appearance is irrelevant I guess.

Personally I would not want to live on a static boat of any description.

The point of a boat, in my view, is the cruising and travelling the system, but I would not wish to restrict others from their dreams.

It's just a boat that will disappear onto a mooring to become a home as many others of all shapes and sizes do.

I wish the owners happiness in their new home.

Rog

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, dogless said:

The boat is no doubt someone's pride and joy, a cherished dream turned into reality.

Our view of its appearance is irrelevant I guess.

Personally I would not want to live on a static boat of any description.

The point of a boat, in my view, is the cruising and travelling the system, but I would not wish to restrict others from their dreams.

It's just a boat that will disappear onto a mooring to become a home as many others of all shapes and sizes do.

I wish the owners happiness in their new home.

Rog

It would be “fine” on the Trent or Thames.....just not on the north oxford! (Personally it’s not to my taste in any location!....at least have something with some sort of boat related shape)

35 minutes ago, pearley said:

If its the boatbthat Elton Moss planned to exhibit (they told me they were struggling to finish it) then it has hydrid drive.  Why spend all that extra just to sit in a marina.

Cheaper licence fee.

12 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Do you mean that bit where all the big Blackberries are? 

I agree with you, that is very narrow, it allows us to pick from both sides of the boat!

OK! back to topic!

Nipper

2 hours ago, Grahamnewman said:

It is the Elton Moss boat. Wheelhouse being dismantled at present. Will be at Braunston at about 3.30 today

I bet its fantasticaly comfortable inside? Have you been inside?

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’ve been in a lot of comfortable houses....they don’t have a place on a narrow waterway either.... 

I agree, its in the wrong place. However far far far nicer to live in than my sewer tube.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree, its in the wrong place. However far far far nicer to live in than my sewer tube.

I don’t see how a widebeam can be nicer than the equivalent narrowboat....it’s bigger I grant you but that doesn’t equate to nicer...my parents house is bigger than my boat but I know what I prefer! 

4 minutes ago, J R ALSOP said:

Talking to a wide beam owner today, he has the boat 2 1/2 years, he has had enough, selling it to buy a narrowboat so he can go cruising.

It's an interesting point. To widebeam owners accustomed to how long it takes to manoeuvre widebeams around and familiar with their limitations, narrowboats must look enticingly mobile and nimble in comparison. And frustrating to see all those thin canals the NBs keep nipping up that they can never use. 

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, frangar said:

I don’t see how a widebeam can be nicer than the equivalent narrowboat....it’s bigger I grant you but that doesn’t equate to nicer...my parents house is bigger than my boat but I know what I prefer! 

Well I can only speak from first hand rather extensive full time liveaboard experience so what would I know? I live again on a narrowboat because in reality as we have been left with crappy 7 foot wide locks, if we wish to do a lot of cruising there is no alternative other than a narrow beam boat. I am living at present on the sixth narrowboat in my ownership. Prior to this boat I moved onto the Trent and north for over 3 years so bought a vastly superior, vastly more comfy widebeam to live on, be daft not to. I also prefer my boat to my houses over the years but a widebeam is vastly nicer to live on boat wise. We had a large bed which we could walk round. A four foot long shower with oodles of space around. A large kitchen and a large front cabin with an enormous comfy sofa and recliner and no walking like a crab. Everything was nicer about the life on the widebeam. It handled better and was way more stable. I then decided to go cruising again so no choice, it sold instantly as all boats do and I bought this sewer tube. If I go back on the Trent for any length of time I will buy another widebeam, no question. Horses for courses or whatever it is they say.

• Greenie 1