March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, dogless said:

Strange how many anti wide beam boaters are happy to take a narrow boat on various rivers etc. despite it being the wrong boat for the waterway :)

What's wrong with each to their own.

Rog

So you'd have no problem with Juggernauts scraping their way through villages, and should anyone else you'd then suggest motorbikes keep off motorways?

And you think we're strange?

"Each to their own" is an excellent way forward, however "Bu99er you, I'm getting what I want" is aggressive or at the very least thoughtlessly selfish.

3FA7510200000578-0-image-a-11_1493288718646.jpg

motorcycle-driving-on-empty-highway-450w-384345409.jpg

• Greenie 2

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So how do the gates on narrow locks get worn unless there are lots of canoes using them and going out through 1 gate

People taking broad beam boats through them. That wears the lock side walls out too!

?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

So how do the gates on narrow locks get worn unless there are lots of canoes using them and going out through 1 gate

The wear pattern on broad locks, where narrowboats use a single gate, is quite distinctive with a hollow in both gates at rubbing strip height.  With the odd exception where the protection plate is missing or displaced I cannot recollect a similar consistent wear pattern on narrow gates.

Of course narrow gates can leak like sieves but IMO not normally from boats (gently) pushing gates open.  I have also carefully observed on my own boats that the bows and rubbing strakes contact the protection plates before the mitre faces which are set well back.

Incidentally I have long advocated that BW/CRT fit a 1ft length of steel in the rubbing face of broad lock gates at the vulnerable height instead of wood.  Yes it would leak more than a NEW piece of wood but it would leak a lot less than the same wood when badly damaged.

George

Got to say, Tinternet is crap at Crick!

Hopefully, I have managed to download a couple of pictures of the boat soon heading for Dunchrch Pools from Braunston.

The fixed steel ladder on the stern is obviously for dredging...

IMG_20190525_205004.jpg

IMG_20190525_204954.jpg

Edited by johnmck

1 minute ago, johnmck said:

Hopefully, I have managed to download a couple of pictures of the boat soon heading for Dunchrch Pools from Braunston.

IMG_20190525_205004.jpg

IMG_20190525_204954.jpg

Glad to see it is white undercoat ready for its final paint job at its destination! ?

George

3 minutes ago, johnmck said:

IMG_20190525_205004.jpg

IMG_20190525_204954.jpg

Will it go under the bridge at Braunston turn?

13 minutes ago, johnmck said:

IMG_20190525_205004.jpg

IMG_20190525_204954.jpg

Guess the builder only had a tee Square and  didnt have access to any sort of steel bender.....

12 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

So, this monstrosity has won a prize?  For what exactly?

The monstrosity hasnt won a prize, the boat builder did once, for creating a pudding of meringue, ice cream, cream and other gooey and sweet stuff.

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The monstrosity hasnt won a prize, the boat builder did once, for creating a pudding of meringue, ice cream, cream and other gooey and sweet stuff.

Exactly. 

An Elton mess. ??

13 hours ago, zenataomm said:

So you'd have no problem with Juggernauts scraping their way through villages, and should anyone else you'd then suggest motorbikes keep off motorways?

And you think we're strange?

"Each to their own" is an excellent way forward, however "Bu99er you, I'm getting what I want" is aggressive or at the very least thoughtlessly selfish.

3FA7510200000578-0-image-a-11_1493288718646.jpg

motorcycle-driving-on-empty-highway-450w-384345409.jpg

What does this have to do with my post please?

Weren't we discussing suitability of boats for waterways :)

Rog

Oh dear, I thought passing water tanks off as boats ended when Sam Springer openly admitted his design's origins.

Although I do think the massive yellow jib on the front will come in handy … canal widening as you goremoving troublesome bridges scooping other boats out of the wayetc 

IMG_20190525_204954.jpg.66a8b43af6cbebed3703a850fcfd0bd3.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

I think the above is clear evidence of what two prats with oversize objects can achieve while being selfish simutaneously.

Sorry ... It looked like two lorries In my photo :)

Rog

15 hours ago, johnmck said:

IMG_20190525_205004.jpg

IMG_20190525_204954.jpg

Its being cranned in tomorrow not 5th June as i first posted.

1 hour ago, dogless said:

Sorry ... It looked like two lorries In my photo :)

Rog

Please, don't apologise.

Your inability to see a correlation between two similar annoyances is more enlightening with regards to your thought processes than anything else.

Likewise the emoticon you end with.

Zen :) 

3 hours ago, Grahamnewman said:

Its being cranned in tomorrow not 5th June as i first posted.

Given that CRT must be aware I’m very disappointed they are letting it navigate the North Oxford. If anyone happens to see it on the water please send me a pic....