March of the Widebeams

cuthound

Featured Posts

On 18/01/2019 at 14:56, Athy said:

It might make sense for someone who is working in Liverpool - though I imagine that house prices are modest up there, so you wouldn't save much.

At £75,000 its just over half the price of a decent terraced house in inner city Liverpool

I briefly corresponded with the marina at North Kilworth in August last year having spotted the first widebeam there and received the following reply:

"We have the equipment to handle widebeam craft for our workshop facilities, but wouldn't encourage people to head off down the canal - I certainly wouldn't want to meet one

coming the other way!"

And yet this evening their website still implies you can do just that:

"BOAT LAUNCHING INCL WIDEBEAMS

Two boat lifting docks, one of which can take take full length widebeam craft. With easy access from the A4304 and just 10 minutes from the M1, there couldn’t

be a better place for launching a boat onto the inland waterways."

I'm confused.

48 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Apparently CRT notices have been stuck on a couple of widebeams up on the Leicester summit section informing them that they are not allowed out of North Kilworth as it is a narrow waterway(which it IS!). Whether these have any legal grounding or have been taken notice of, I know not yet.

I think we all know the answer to that...……………………………...

31 minutes ago, Joe the plumber said:

I briefly corresponded with the marina at North Kilworth in August last year having spotted the first widebeam there and received the following reply:

"We have the equipment to handle widebeam craft for our workshop facilities, but wouldn't encourage people to head off down the canal - I certainly wouldn't want to meet one

coming the other way!"

Two boat lifting docks, one of which can take take full length widebeam craft. With easy access from the A4304 and just 10 minutes from the M1, there couldn’t

I'm confused.

Its called profit - they don't care so long as they get paid but something should be done by the licensing authority (I am joking of course)……………………….?

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

I think we all know the answer to that...……………………………...

Its called profit - they don't care so long as they get paid but something should be done by the licensing authority (I am joking of course)……………………….?

"there couldn’t be a better place for launching a boat onto the inland waterways."

Dear CRT, 

I own a lovely 14ft x 68 ft widebeam and read the above at our lift in marina of choice - was looking forward to the boating experience. I now realise that we have 20 miles at our boats capabilities, and we are getting abuse from people on little boats wherever we cruise or more(sic). Please can you reduce our licence fee to a % of the network available to us - approx 1% by our re-conning, and not helped by that little boat that mores in Crick, where we like to dine occasionally. We are also thinking of taking you to the court of widebeam rights for not making the locks big enough for boats like ours to leave this area - its a disgrace.

Darren and Tracey from Essex

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Joe the plumber said:

coming the other way!"

I'm confused.

Did you connect the dots and ask them to explain??????????????

It would have been sensible for the new marina to have made their entrance onto the canal about eight feet wide at most, rather than its current generous proportions.

Perhaps they can install some kind of width restrictor there to prevent any further problems.

If I owned a widebeam and found I couldn't go anywhere apart from the marina after I'd been persuaded by the advertising that I could go all over the place from it,

I think I might be quite cross.

2 minutes ago, Joe the plumber said:

It would have been sensible for the new marina to have made their entrance onto the canal about eight feet wide at most, rather than its current generous proportions.

Perhaps they can install some kind of width restrictor there to prevent any further problems.

If I owned a widebeam and found I couldn't go anywhere apart from the marina after I'd been persuaded by the advertising that I could go all over the place from it,

With yourself presumably for not doing your homework prior to choosing a marina.

30 minutes ago, Joe the plumber said:

Why should they,Widebeams possibly pay more for a mooring than a Narrowboat, Its not a problem to the marina

56 minutes ago, Joe the plumber said:

If "they" do not, perhaps CRT can insert a few piles which will still allow boats, of dimensions suitable for the canal, to pass.

George

52 minutes ago, Joe the plumber said:

It would have been sensible for CRT TO ENSURE the new marina to have made their entrance onto the canal about eight feet wide at most...………………….

Surely the above is what should happen if a sensible regulator/regulatory process was in place...……………………………. this is possibly something for us all (incl CRT) to remember where relevant as members of the public raising objections/comments re new marina planning applications

Edited by Halsey

2 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Surely the above is what should happen if a sensible regulator/regulatory process was in place...…………………………….

Perhaps local councils should put limits on the length and width of cars which can use their highways.

22 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Perhaps local councils should put limits on the length and width of cars which can use their highways.

I thought they did.

26 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Surely the above is what should happen if a sensible regulator/regulatory process was in place...……………………………. this is possibly something for us all (incl CRT) to remember where relevant as members of the public raising objections/comments re new marina planning applications

But CaRT are not a (planning) regulator but a navigation authority.

32 minutes ago, Halsey said:

When Dunchurch Pools was in the planning stage, I did write to Daventry District Council expressing my objections and why.

Complete waste of time. I suspect, no proof just a hunch, it was already a "done deal."

Edited by Ray T

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

But CaRT are not a (planning) regulator but a navigation authority.

Don't the rules say something about boats being fit for navigation?  If a boat is too big, is it fit?  Why stop at a 14ft widebeam.  A boat 20ft wide would make a magnificent place to live and still way cheaper than a house.

George

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I am with you on this big time EXCEPT theses numpties put widebeam boats where they shouldnt be. Yes widebeams are vastly more comfortable. Yes widebeams are better handling . Yes most look better than sewer tubes. Yes narrowboats are a ridiculous size which is probably why nowhere else in the World builds the daft things. The problem of course is a few people who buy so called widebeams put them on tiny canals like The GU and the K and A and even worse on the slightly fatter bit of the north Oxford of this thread. If all canal locks suddenly became 14 feet wide and above narrowboats would sell for about fifty bob each.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

They do - anything over 2.9m wide requires advance permission from the police and highways authorities.  And possibly also from bridge owners.

7 minutes ago, Cheese said:

They do - anything over 2.9m wide requires advance permission from the police and highways authorities.  And possibly also from bridge owners.

I wonder if the enormous pieces of farm equipment - made by a firm called something like Klaas, I think - which sometimes lumber around our local lanes have that permission.

You will see width restrictions, posted I assume by the council, before some narrow bridges.

53 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Special Types, General Order Vehicles of Construction and Use regs.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-types-enforcement-guide/special-types-enforcement-guide

Edited by cuthound
Regs not sets

34 minutes ago, Athy said:

I wonder if the enormous pieces of farm equipment - made by a firm called something like Klaas, I think - which sometimes lumber around our local lanes have that permission.

You will see width restrictions, posted I assume by the council, before some narrow bridges.

They don't need permission because they are not motor vehicles.

George

9 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

They don't need permission because they are not motor vehicles.

George

Well, they ain't got pedals (apart from accelerator etc).

Edited by Athy