Recommendations for vacuum cleaner

Tom Richmond

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Or you can buy a Miele, which is better made, better designed, cheaper and more reliable.  Never needed to spend half an hour with a screwdriver taking my Miele apart.

I have !

Haggis

14 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Or you can buy a Miele, which is better made, better designed, cheaper and more reliable.  Never needed to spend half an hour with a screwdriver taking my Miele apart.

Fair enough. I will try one of those when the Dyson packs up.

During my long research into what I ought to invest in vacuum wise, I have come across the Beko stick vacuum.  Beko VRT82821DV

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/beko-vrt82821dv-2-in-1-power-stick-cordless-vacuum-cleaner-blue (cheaper on eBay)

For simply use on a Narrowboat is it a good choice. If it last two or more years is it value for money.

9 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Hand dryers work because your have warm air blowing over your hands while you rub them together

Some years ago my son came up with a theory that the reason warm-air hand dryers work is that they force you stand still rubbing your hands together for 60 seconds.

Experience suggests he was right -- but if it's one of those horrible vortex things you'll get noise-induced deafness into the bargain.

6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

During my long research into what I ought to invest in vacuum wise, I have come across the Beko stick vacuum.  Beko VRT82821DV

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/beko-vrt82821dv-2-in-1-power-stick-cordless-vacuum-cleaner-blue (cheaper on eBay)

For simply use on a Narrowboat is it a good choice. If it last two or more years is it value for money.

Not come across that, but if the performance of our cheap-as-chips Beko dishwasher is anything to go by, it'll be a good 'un.

• Greenie 1

On 04/02/2020 at 10:12, haggis said:

I am impressed by how many males are giving their experiences of vacuum cleaners here. Well done  guys!  I found the early Dysons were pretty good but the later ones not so good so I switched to Miele . I ended up with a cat and dog one for use at home and a cylinder one which ended up on the boat replacing a cleaner which had to be emptied every couple of minutes (we have 2 dogs). The boat Miele is excellent but the home one started to have problems and as it was very heavy for me to push around, I got a Shark and I find it very good.

haggis

Im surprised the shark hasn't eaten the dogs. Has it been trained to swim after Kelpie? ??

Edited by cuthound
To add smilies ??

32 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Im surprised the shark hasn't eaten the dogs. Has it been trained to swim after Kelpie? ??

The shark is at home where it does a sterling job. Never mind chasing Kelpie I can't get the dreadful Baby Shark song out of my mind every time I mention that

vacuum cleaner ?. With the muddy towpaths I think the boat vacuum will be well used this trip!

The top of the T & M is very quiet. One moving boat yesterday and one today. Today's one is obviously a fan of volunteer lockies as he just stood either on his boat or near me while I worked the lock for him. He was I reckon a good 30 years younger than me too ?. His dog just ran along the towpath along side the boat but it had probably been trained to pick up its own poo. 

Haggis

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

The shark is at home where it does a sterling job. Never mind chasing Kelpie I can't get the dreadful Baby Shark song out of my mind every time I mention that

vacuum cleaner ?. With the muddy towpaths I think the boat vacuum will be well used this trip!

The top of the T & M is very quiet. One moving boat yesterday and one today. Today's one is obviously a fan of volunteer lockies as he just stood either on his boat or near me while I worked the lock for him. He was I reckon a good 30 years younger than me too ?. His dog just ran along the towpath along side the boat but it had probably been trained to pick up its own poo. 

Haggis

Lol.

I had a day trip out on Monday. Only three boats on the move but amazingly we met two of them whilst going down, and later, up the Glascote Locks ?

• 3 weeks later...

Eventually bought a Hoover HF522 stick vacuum cleaner. Refurbished. £50. eBay. Arrived next day. 

To be honest it’s ideal for us. Not great capacity, but the muck and dirt it’s got out of the carpet is disappointing brilliant. There was a couple of tools missing but I’m getting them sent on.

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Eventually bought a Hoover HF522 stick vacuum cleaner. Refurbished. £50. eBay. Arrived next day. 

To be honest it’s ideal for us. Not great capacity, but the muck and dirt it’s got out of the carpet is disappointing brilliant. There was a couple of tools missing but I’m getting them sent on.

How does it cope with stove ash? This instantly kills Dysons (and Meilés too I suspect).