Recommendations for vacuum cleaner

Tom Richmond

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Mrs Hound insisted on having a Dyson a few years back. She soon returned back to her old Hoover.

A triumph of design over function. Unreliable, mediocre performance, dust everywhere when you emptied it and expensive spare parts. 

Having a large dog, who moults heavily is the ultimate test of any vacuum cleaner.

We use a Numatic George (a Henry with wet vac capability) for any really heavy jobs.

Yep, they are rubbish and very expensive rubbish. I see some recent vacuum adverts extolling the virtues of their " modern" bagged design ?

Having a removable bag is much better and cleaner in use than bagless vacs. 

15 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Well, ours is fine. Certainly not up to commercial use. If they were truly rubbish, Mr Dyson wouldn't have been in business for so long eh;)

clever marketing old boy thats what everything comes down to isnt it, make people believe is all you need to do. Prime example is coca cola, coloured flavoured water that makes billions. Macdonalds another, truly awful food that makes billions but they spend many millions on marketing.

• Greenie 2

On 24/01/2020 at 00:41, Splectia said:

I'm a self-proclaimed crazy vac lady. I've had the Oreck, the Dyson, the Meile, the Fuller Brush and everything in between. And now I have a Bissell vacuum https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Cordless-Vacuum-1984-Green/dp/B01LCY0KIO?currency=GBP. I've bought it for my new boat (because it's cordless) and this little vac has won my heart. I have to say, I was hesitant to purchase because of the reviews of the handle breaking but Consumers Reports gave it a #2 rating behind the Dyson so I decided to give it a try. I've had this vac for two months so far and love it! It glides easily. When I empty the dirt cup, I don't have to touch all the wretchedness that's inside. Very cool design. To fully charge the battery takes a couple of hours and lasts for 45 minutes approx.
I think the people who designed it, actually have used a vacuum. In my opinion, it is worth it to buy for this price (~£190).

I have that Bissell and that has probably been one of the best vacuums I have ever owned!

On 25/01/2020 at 16:15, mrsmelly said:

Yep, they are rubbish and very expensive rubbish.

A meaningless statement. A bit like saying Fords are rubbish. Some are rubbish, others are not. 

My Dyson D34 is EXCELLENT. My V6 is rubbish. Now what?

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A meaningless statement. A bit like saying Fords are rubbish. Some are rubbish, others are not. 

My Dyson D34 is EXCELLENT. My V6 is rubbish. Now what?

Like I said they are rubbish, expensive, poor build, in fact not expensive, ridiculously expensive that people fall for due to hype and marketing. If one of your two models is rubbish at that price then that says it all. However you keep on buying them if it floats your boat and I will keep on buying something  better in every way at a third the price.

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Like I said they are rubbish, expensive, poor build, in fact not expensive, ridiculously expensive that people fall for due to hype and marketing. If one of your two models is rubbish at that price then that says it all. However you keep on buying them if it floats your boat and I will keep on buying something  better in every way at a third the price.

What a strange 'black and white' world you live in.

I guess it makes you feel more secure, polarising everything into 100% good / 100% bad.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

However you keep on buying them if it floats your boat and I will keep on buying something  better in every way at a third the price.

MtB will buy a third Dyson to see which of the first two it matches!

☺️

Edited by David Mack
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

What do you have, and how often have you had to replace them? ("keep on buying??).

I'm genuinely interested because, after years of buying "cheaper" vacuum cleaners, I eventually stumped up the money for a Dyson at home and was amazed by the performance, ( I think my wife forced the issue as she was very impressed with the demo at Comet). We have had 2 dysons at home in about 20 years. The latest one was bought in 2010 and shows no sign of imminent demise.

When I got this boat, I asked around for advice on a good one for a boat... bought 3 "cheaper" vacuum cleaners based on some advice here then, after some serious deliberation and angst, I stumped up a couple of hundred quid for a Dyson on offer, (probably 2012 or so). Again..... delighted with the performance, and have since added a Dyson V6  which probably cost about the same when I bought it).

Subsequently added a V7 at home to avoid carrying the bigger one upstairs more often than necessary.

Not one of the above purchases was to do with marketing and design over substance... they were all based on performance, once the first had been bought.

Thus.... if there is a better vacuum cleaner brand for a third of the price, I definitely want to know about it when one or other of our Dysons need replacing. I may even buy them for our tenants.

20 hours ago, MikeDavis said:

I have that Bissell and that has probably been one of the best vacuums I have ever owned!

Looks like a GTech to me?

https://www.gtech.co.uk/bundles/floorcare-bundles/airram-multi-system-k9.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA4NTxBRDxARIsAHyp6gBRSyioArBz-nFM-JZN2_302Q9e9T9W_PMhKnenfRCVpjfJ-thxlucaAqLHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think they started the easy emptying design, and Dyson have now got in on the act - although I cant see me spending five hundred quid on a vacuum cleaner any time soon, (but never say never :) )

25 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Looks like a GTech to me?

It is a G-tech.

Both #81 and #104 would appear to be either a US based reseller or something to do with the review site mentioned. 

We have both the G-Tech AirRam and the handheld K9 and me and the missus love them. What Mrs WotEver particularly likes is their lightness and their appearance. She hates all of the Dyson designs with a vengeance. 

A friend bought one of those Dysons that hangs on the wall and after seeing our AirRam asked if she could borrow it and see if it picked up any more than her Dyson. The next month she bought an AirRam. 

Edited by WotEver
Added the K9 model number which I’d forgotten

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Henry?

yep, precisely. Hundred quid, robust sucks like a good un and a nice clean bag to bin.

49 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Do they make a hand-held battery Henry now to compete with the Dyson?

Got a link?

No hand held,  just a proper version runs off the mains. No good for dinosaur boats without mains it has to be said.

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

yep, precisely. Hundred quid, robust sucks like a good un and a nice clean bag to bin.

Henry.... I buy those for tenants already :)

Cant abide them myself..... difficult to store and I find them a bit awkward to use.... but very robust, much more so than a Dyson or a GTech, which I wouldn't consider for tenants, some of whom would break them and demand a replacement within hours :( 

6 hours ago, WotEver said:

It is a G-tech.

Both #81 and #104 would appear to be either a US based reseller or something to do with the review site mentioned. 

We have both the G-Tech AirRam and the handheld K9 and me and the missus love them. What Mrs WotEver particularly likes is their lightness and their appearance. She hates all of the Dyson designs with a vengeance. 

A friend bought one of those Dysons that hangs on the wall and after seeing our AirRam asked if she could borrow it and see if it picked up any more than her Dyson. The next month she bought an AirRam. 

I would be tempted by a GTech if/when any of the Dysons give up the ghost.

I had a Dyson years ago, and it was indeed rubbish.

I find myself agreeing with Mrsmelly on this.

And don't get me started on those awful hand dryer things they make.  So loud they set my teeth on edge, and they don't even dry your hands properly.  Mr Dyson has again provided a 'solution' to something which wasn't actually a problem (like he did with bagless vacuums).  Hand dryers work because your have warm air blowing over your hands while you rub them together.  Dipping your hands up and down simply moves all the water to the tips of your fingers, so they remain wet.  And they're unhygenic too since you end up touching the sides of the blower by accident, which is probably filthy from people who haven't washed/wiped properly.

Yes, I got out of bed the wrong side today.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I had a Dyson years ago, and it was indeed rubbish.

I find myself agreeing with Mrsmelly on this.

And don't get me started on those awful hand dryer things they make.  So loud they set my teeth on edge, and they don't even dry your hands properly.  Mr Dyson has again provided a 'solution' to something which wasn't actually a problem (like he did with bagless vacuums).  Hand dryers work because your have warm air blowing over your hands while you rub them together.  Dipping your hands up and down simply moves all the water to the tips of your fingers, so they remain wet.  And they're unhygenic too since you end up touching the sides of the blower by accident, which is probably filthy from people who haven't washed/wiped properly.

Yes, I got out of bed the wrong side today.

Agreed about the vacuum cleaners. Bags are a much better, cleaner idea which is why some makers are now selling vacs with bags again and putting it on their advertising as a benefit lol.

I am impressed by how many males are giving their experiences of vacuum cleaners here. Well done  guys!  I found the early Dysons were pretty good but the later ones not so good so I switched to Miele . I ended up with a cat and dog one for use at home and a cylinder one which ended up on the boat replacing a cleaner which had to be emptied every couple of minutes (we have 2 dogs). The boat Miele is excellent but the home one started to have problems and as it was very heavy for me to push around, I got a Shark and I find it very good.

haggis

The problem with some dysons is that they get blocked up with dust. I was once given a dyson that was low on suction. Half an hour with a screwdriver, and cleaning it out at it was great again.

The trouble in todays throw away society, people would rather chuck it out and buy another than spend some time on maintenance.

Edited by rusty69

29 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The problem with some dysons is that they get blocked up with dust. I was once given a dyson that was low on suction. Half an hour with a screwdriver, and cleaning it out at it was great again.

The trouble in todays throw away society, people would rather chuck it out and buy another than spend some time on maintenance.

The whole selling point of Dysons is that they don't lose suction.  What they've done is replace a dustbag which only reduces suction when it's full, with a filter which blocks easily and an overly complicated design which traps dirt and required the thing to be dismantled fairly often to clear it.

Or you can buy a Miele, which is better made, better designed, cheaper and more reliable.  Never needed to spend half an hour with a screwdriver taking my Miele apart.

• Greenie 1