Recommendations for vacuum cleaner

Tom Richmond

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Edders said:

Good point. Mind you, I have always considered Miele a quality brand.

We have a Miele at home, and the Bosch I recommended on the boat. The Bosch uses half the power the Miele does, and subjectively moves just as much air. The air comes out of  the Bosch much cooler, unsurprisingly. The Miele is quite old, and pre-dates the new efficiency regulations; I have no doubt new Meiles are just as good as the Bosch, but it took the regulations to make Meile do it right. Even Miele.

MP.

24 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

We have a Miele at home, and the Bosch I recommended on the boat. The Bosch uses half the power the Miele does, and subjectively moves just as much air. The air comes out of  the Bosch much cooler, unsurprisingly. The Miele is quite old, and pre-dates the new efficiency regulations; I have no doubt new Meiles are just as good as the Bosch, but it took the regulations to make Meile do it right. Even Miele.

MP.

I see Miele market one of their 1200w vacuums which replicates the performance of a 2000w by using a specifically designed floorhead.

Edited by Edders

I have the 2-in-1 Black & Decker lithium-ion cordless vacuum cleaner which does the job. Half price in the salle at B&M's at the moment plus a free cordless Speedy Scrub Plus from Black & Decker. Offer ends 22nd May 2018. Redeem before 16 June 2018 (See second link)

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/black-and-decker-2-in-1-cordless-stick-vacuum-cleaner-324901

https://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/en-gb/products/home-products/vacuum-cleaners/36wh-2in1-lithiumion-cordless-dustbuster-hand-and-floor-vacuum-with-smart-tech-sensors/svj520bfs  

https://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/en-gb/product-repository/products-blackanddeckereanz-gb/2018/03/07/09/00/bhpc220

16 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

I have the 2-in-1 Black & Decker lithium-ion cordless vacuum cleaner which does the job. Half price in the salle at B&M's at the moment

Thanks nbfiresprite, just picked one up from B&M. Seems well built and quite powerful.

We bought a Dyson light ball recently for the boat.  Used it today for the first time.  Excellent!  A lot quieter than our other Dysons, does a great job and it has a 5 year guarantee.  Cost £160 from Tesco.  Will probably last longer than me ?

8 hours ago, pig said:

Thanks nbfiresprite, just picked one up from B&M. Seems well built and quite powerful.

Don't forget to claim your free cordless Speedy Scrub Plus from Black & Decker by the  16 June 2018

https://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/en-gb/products/home-products/vacuum-cleaners/36wh-2in1-lithiumion-cordless-dustbuster-hand-and-floor-vacuum-with-smart-tech-sensors/svj520bfs  

• 1 month later...
On 01/05/2018 at 12:42, dmr said:

Thanks, can you report back in a month or so when you have lived with it a bit longer?.  I've also got Makita stuff so It does look very tempting at that price. Have to say I don't like the styling, even the Dyson looks better. Sad because most Makita tools really do look quite pleasing. Im a sad old git but my Makita battery angle grinder and my B&Q log splitting Maul are my favourite tools, with my ancient Thor copper-hide not far behind. We could start a favourite tool thread. ?

.......Dave

Reporting back on the Makita vacuum cleaner. I've had it for nearly two months now. Overall, a good purchase as a boat vac. Copes well with dust, ash and things like sawdust from DIY. Takes longer to vac a carpet than a mains cleaner, but has higher vacuum over a smaller area. When you factor in having to move a bulky mains cleaner and cord around a boat, then it works out faster. The dust compartment needs emptying often due to its small size, but you know when it is full as the suction falls off dramatically. Can be emptied in seconds as the cleaner body just twists apart. It all still looks well made and robust. Looks are not great, but there is a white version as an alternative to the usual Makita blue/green. £5 more at Screwfix though!

If you already are a member of the Makita cult and have the batteries and charger, the expensive bits, then this is a good addition. My mains vac (1300W) was the highest current draw thing on the boat and was rarely used when cruising due to the hammering it gave the batteries, even with the engine running. The hand held one is much easier to move around and gets used more frequently. No longer wallowing in my own filth quite as much! ?

Jen

23 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Reporting back on the Makita vacuum cleaner. I've had it for nearly two months now. Overall, a good purchase as a boat vac. Copes well with dust, ash and things like sawdust from DIY. Takes longer to vac a carpet than a mains cleaner, but has higher vacuum over a smaller area. When you factor in having to move a bulky mains cleaner and cord around a boat, then it works out faster. The dust compartment needs emptying often due to its small size, but you know when it is full as the suction falls off dramatically. Can be emptied in seconds as the cleaner body just twists apart. It all still looks well made and robust. Looks are not great, but there is a white version as an alternative to the usual Makita blue/green. £5 more at Screwfix though!

If you already are a member of the Makita cult and have the batteries and charger, the expensive bits, then this is a good addition. My mains vac (1300W) was the highest current draw thing on the boat and was rarely used when cruising due to the hammering it gave the batteries, even with the engine running. The hand held one is much easier to move around and gets used more frequently. No longer wallowing in my own filth quite as much! ?

Jen

Thanks

I am very much part of the Makita club so this does sound good. The old Dyson handheld still does a great job after 8 years, but mtb tells us that the newer Dyson is not so good, so when the current one dies it could well be the Makita. Quite tempted to get one now and then we can have his and hers hoovers and I could keep mine in the engine for cleaning the dog hairs off the engine.

.............Dave

Edited by dmr
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, dmr said:

we can have his and hers hoovers and I could keep mine in the engine for cleaning the dog hairs off the engine.

The risk of dog hairs entering the engine bay deters me from owning a dog. 

A dedicated engine bay hoover is however worthy of consideration. 

1 minute ago, Keeping Up said:

We had an alternator die on us because dog hairs blocked its ventilation slots.

Oh, interesting. :)

Did you dock the cost of a replacement from his allowance?

19 minutes ago, WotEver said:

What would the problem be with dog hairs in the engine bay?

Perhaps you have not seen my engine bay.

Nothing dirty is permitted.

Edited by MartynG

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

The risk of dog hairs entering the engine bay deters me from owning a dog. 

A dedicated engine bay hoover is however worthy of consideration. 

But then again I already have three dedicated engine driven engine bay hoovers, otherwise known as alternators!

and sometimes I think I keep a spare dog under the engine.

.............Dave

Swerving off at a slight tangent, I bought a Milwaukee wet and dry cordless vacuum. Superb piece of kit highly recommended. Sucks up both dog hairs and liquids and doubles up as a box to stand or sit on. ALL the accessories pack away inside the cuboid, which makes it weirdly satisfying to use. 

MILM18VC2-0&category=004000060011&width=

https://www.powertoolmate.co.uk/Products/004000060011/EB%2FMILM18VC2-0?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2umtxbz42wIVirftCh3iRQsFEAQYBSABEgLdF_D_BwE

Excellent engine room vac for Dave, if he can find a space for it.

37 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Swerving off at a slight tangent, I bought a Milwaukee wet and dry cordless vacuum. Superb piece of kit highly recommended. Sucks up both dog hairs and liquids and doubles up as a box to stand or sit on. ALL the accessories pack away inside the cuboid, which makes it weirdly satisfying to use. 

https://www.powertoolmate.co.uk/Products/004000060011/EB%2FMILM18VC2-0?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2umtxbz42wIVirftCh3iRQsFEAQYBSABEgLdF_D_BwE

Looks Good Mike , can I also thank you for both yours and others advice regarding my Starter Battery , you were all correct as it turned out to be corroded fuse holder , apologies for the derailment as it was so long ago I couldn't find the Thread .

• Greenie 1

On 30/04/2018 at 18:55, Parahandy said:

I picked up a Miele for £125 off Gumtree some years back

Bought a Miele 240v recently from Currys. £129 plus £30 cash back if claimed by end Sept I think it was. My wife says it`s a massive improvement on her old dustpan and brush. I said just thought the old one was cheaper. Does`nt need much of an imagination to "interpret" her response!?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Am I reading that right? £120 for the vac, then the same again for the battery, plus the charger...

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

Am I reading that right? £120 for the vac, then the same again for the battery, plus the charger...

I am assuming the battery may be used on tools by the same manufacturer.

It's the same with the Makita vacuum - except the Makita is not a wet vac.

These products are no doubt good quality. The separate battery is perhaps an advantage as it can be replaced when required - or two batteries obtained to allow extended use of the tool.