Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
LadyG

Politician resigns, on a Sunday night

Featured Posts

Its just sickening, they get paid a fortune, free pension for life after a few years in post, and usually get a cushy number after as long as they don't rock the Establisment Boat.

Turns out they can't be trusted. They should be ostracised, but it won't happen. They creep back in, sooner rather than later.

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Its just sickening, they get paid a fortune, free pension for life after a few years in post, and usually get a cushy number after as long as they don't rock the Establisment Boat.

Turns out they can't be trusted. They should be ostracised, but it won't happen. They creep back in, sooner rather than later.

Hardly surprised.

Another one falls on her sword to protect May.

Although I am surprised that Rudd hung on so long before resigning.

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I thought the whole point of her remaining in post was to 'protect' May. 

Now she is gone May is terribly at risk.

Nope. May is safe until the whole Brexit fiasco is completed, then she'll be stabbed in the back and blamed. If it wasn't for the toxicity of Brexit she'd have never survived the outcome of the last election.

Many are waiting with knives sharpened

Edited by Ange

And now I see that the odious little Gove is being tipped for the job.  What a frightening trumvirate that will be; May, Johnson and Gove.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, dor said:

And now I see that the odious little Gove is being tipped for the job.  What a frightening trumvirate that will be; May, Johnson and Gove.

Johnson has been placed there in order to run him ragged and prevent him from having time to cause trouble in the real world. 

It seems to be working. 

Gove will make an excellent HS. He was the first person I thought of too. Can't imagine him slipping up as monumentally as Ms Rudd.

Rudd did not resign as a result of May's earlier activities in the Home Office regarding targets (which were always in place, in both blue and red periods, to measure the effectiveness of the Home Van teams), she resigned because she had a convenient memory lapse (or an incompetent ignorance) when she stated she knew nothing about the issue and then was found to have signed a letter to the PM about increasing resources to enable higher targets to be met.  If May was to be blamed then so should every holder of the Home Secretary position since the deportation of illegal immigrants commenced.

What I find incredible is that the whole issue of the Windrush generation is not quickly resolved by giving an amnesty to any immigrant of Afro-Caribbean background who can show that they have been resident in the UK since 1971 - school records, health records, etc.  

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, dor said:

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Johnson has been placed there in order to run him ragged and prevent him from having time to cause trouble in the real world. 

It seems to be working. 

Gove will make an excellent HS. He was the first person I thought of too. Can't imagine him slipping up as monumentally as Ms Rudd.

Well Ladbrookes are offering 6/1 on Gove (up from 4/ after Rudd's announcement). So if you are confident you know better than them place a decent bet, and you will be able to buy lots more engines.

Gove is their 4th choice. Savid Javid firm favourite at 4/5

12 hours ago, dor said:

Another one falls on her sword to protect May.

Although I am surprised that Rudd hung on so long before resigning.

She only scraped through the election after numerous recounts, more stamina than a limpet at clinging on. 

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Well Ladbrookes are offering 6/1 on Gove (up from 4/ after Rudd's announcement). So if you are confident you know better than them place a decent bet, and you will be able to buy lots more engines.

Gove is their 4th choice. Savid Javid firm favourite at 4/5

Which of course is not what I said.

I said I thought he would make an excellent HS, not that I necessarily thought he would get the post. 

He is a heavyweight not prone to fibbing to select committees, which was Rudd's downfall.

Oh and having worked in a betting shop as a teenager, I learned not to bet. A mug's game. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which of course is not what I said.

I said I thought he would make an excellent HS, not that I necessarily thought he would get the post. 

He is a heavyweight not prone to fibbing to select committees, which was Rudd's downfall.

We must disagree.

I don't think Gove is capable of being an excellent anything that matters.

It can only be a measure of how bad the rest of them are that he is still allowed near anything at all that is vaguely important.

On a more serious note, whatever you thought of Rudd, (and I didn't think a lot of Rudd!), she was at least very much more pro European than most of her peers.  There was already a very difficult balance attempting to to be made between the pro-Brexit Tories, and those like Rudd who clearly were still in the Remain camp, whatever the official policy line.  If someone like Gove got a top job then the "hard" Brexiteers would very much have the power balance, and I am deeply concerned about the dipterous path the country might then get dragged down.

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

A question please.

can a country be run without politicians?

I thought we were. The politicians seem only to be the mouthpiece working in the interests of big business and finance who are efectively making the decisions - half a wry smiley

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

A question please.

can a country be run without politicians?

It can and does. When a general election is called then there isn't a government till the new one is formed. Usually six weeks in the UK. In Belgium in 2010 to 11 it took nearly a year! All the civil service departments carry on trundling, doing what they were doing before till the new lot tell them something different.

15 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I thought we were. The politicians seem only to be the mouthpiece working in the interests of big business and finance who are efectively making the decisions - half a wry smiley

That is 'cause the return on investment from buying politicians is so good.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

There's a new slogan for the politicians. "You scratch our backs, we'll stab yours!".

im not really into politics, well I wasn't until about ten years ago when I suddenly realised, a bit late, that they are all in it for their own agenda.

• Greenie 2

55 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

We must disagree.

I don't think Gove is capable of being an excellent anything that matters.

It can only be a measure of how bad the rest of them are that he is still allowed near anything at all that is vaguely important.

On a more serious note, whatever you thought of Rudd, (and I didn't think a lot of Rudd!), she was at least very much more pro European than most of her peers.  There was already a very difficult balance attempting to to be made between the pro-Brexit Tories, and those like Rudd who clearly were still in the Remain camp, whatever the official policy line.  If someone like Gove got a top job then the "hard" Brexiteers would very much have the power balance, and I am deeply concerned about the dipterous path the country might then get dragged down.

May Promotes Anti-EU Former Banker, Shifting the Brexit ...

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-30/javid<...

Apr 29, 2018 · U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May has named Sajid Javid, a 48-year-old euroskeptic, as home secretary in an appointment that could tip the balance of power in the Cabinet toward a

Oh I dont know I think we are definitely heading that way.............thankfully

I am in London and have been for a little while.  There can be absolutely no doubt that May and Rudd have been disastrous as Home Secretary and clearly Rudd only got the job because she was a yes woman and a clone of May.  It has been catastrophe after catastrophe and of course the only people who suffer are the general public.  The chances of May and Rudd coming into contact with the scumbags who have benefited as a result of their poisonous policies are nil so they don’t care or indeed become a victim.

Khan as Mayor is even more toxic and incompetent than the two clown above.  He was vehemently against the use of stop and search by the police.  Miraculously he now espouses that there should be more!  Without doubt the huge increase in murders and knife crime has changed his mind but surely the basis on which he was opposed hasn’t changed in the slightest just the fact that the finger is being pointed at him due to his policies.  I’m not saying stop and search is the answer but to change your opinion based purely on the heat he is now getting is scurrilous.

My daughter is in the police in London hence my interest in the subject.  If I were a cop I would simply go through the motions.  Sod the politicians, they made the mess let them clear it up or let them suffer the consequences.  As a result of the May and Rudd policies police officers pensions,pay and allowances have been murdered by the incompetent pair.  I would let them rot in their own mess.  It is all coming back to bite them.  As they say cuts have consequences.

She was due to give some answers today with regard to some of her previous statements.  The game was up though and to repeat Those excuses would have led to serious problems for her.  In effect she lied.

Edited by Dartagnan
Additional info
  • Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Murflynn said:

Rudd did not resign as a result of May's earlier activities in the Home Office regarding targets (which were always in place, in both blue and red periods, to measure the effectiveness of the Home Van teams), she resigned because she had a convenient memory lapse (or an incompetent ignorance) when she stated she knew nothing about the issue and then was found to have signed a letter to the PM about increasing resources to enable higher targets to be met.  If May was to be blamed then so should every holder of the Home Secretary position since the deportation of illegal immigrants commenced.

What I find incredible is that the whole issue of the Windrush generation is not quickly resolved by giving an amnesty to any immigrant of Afro-Caribbean background who can show that they have been resident in the UK since 1971 - school records, health records, etc.  

It's not the deportation of illegal immigrants that is the problem: it's the targeting of those who immigrated legally, but did not regularise their British Citizenship. They would be seen as easy targets, because, unlike most illegal immigrants, there will be a paper trail of NI contributions, tax records, housing records etc.

I fully agree with your second paragraph, and am somewhat surprised that this wasn't sorted out years ago. What happens when one of the Windrush generation applies for a passport? There must have been quite a few.

1 hour ago, Dartagnan said:

(snip)

She was due to give some answers today with regard to some of her previous statements.  The game was up though and to repeat Those excuses would have led to serious problems for her.  In effect she lied.

Sorted that for you ...

1 hour ago, Iain_S said:

What happens when one of the Windrush generation applies for a passport? There must have been quite a few.

apparently that's one of the main issues - they are afraid to put their heads above the parapet and apply for a passport because they fear that without the right documents they will be immediately labelled for deportation, with the result that they don't apply for a passport and cannot visit the family back home or go on a foreign holiday.

Edited by Murflynn