Fuel Guard fittings

Kevsco

Featured Posts

I purchased a fuel guard separator some time ago and am now ready to fit it to my boat. My existing fuel line is 8mm copper and i need to fit a couple of connectors to mate with the 5/8in fuel guard connections. Can anyone point me to a supplier of these? is it OK to use rubber fuel hose with jubilee clips to connect from the present copper pipe fuel line to the fuel guard unit?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hoses going straight on to a pipe are a BSS no-no for fuel lines. If you use hose in any of it the hose needs to be fitted to fir tree connectors with worm drive clips, or by made up hoses with crimped end fittings. When you say 5/8 fittings on the filter, where does that number come from? Most likely it is  BSP thread of some sort. You could use BSP fittings and compression connectors to connect the 8mm pipe with no hose, or to fit a fir tree end for a hose to go to. Hard to say anything more without more information/pictures.

Jen

15 minutes ago, Kevsco said:

is it OK to use rubber fuel hose with jubilee clips to connect from the present copper pipe fuel line to the fuel guard unit?

No.

See 2.10.2 and 2.11.1 of the guide:

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/268789/ecp-private-boats-ed3_rev2_apr2015_public_final.pdf

The sort of hose fitting you should use to connect hose to filter and pipe.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-8-BSP-to-8mm-Brass-Male-Barb-Hose-Tail-Fitting-Fuel-Air-Gas-Water-Hose-Oil-/202191166181?nav=SEARCH

Just an example. Not necessarily the right size!

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Should that also be crimped?  I replaced a couple of hoses once that didn’t have the requisite markings and Sam at Foxton cut off the old crimp and hose to reveal barbs just like those which he then crimped on to a new hose. 

Edited by WotEver
To remove a spurious Spanish fella called Jose

3 minutes ago, Kevsco said:

Jen

Thanks for your response. I have now managed to fid the fuel guard connections are 3/8 inch bsp and not 5/8 as previously stated.

I did wonder. 5/8 bsp is huge! Something like this could let you run 8mm pipe to the filter with no hose.

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Should that also be crimped?  I replaced a couple of hoses once that didn’t have the requisite markings and Sam at Foxton cut off the old crimp and Jose to reveal hose barbs just like those which he then crimped on to a new hose. 

Jubilee clips are ok for the boat safety scheme. Sometimes crimped clips are used and they are ok too, but you need the special pliers to fit them. Jubilee clips just need a screwdriver. Sometimes professionally made swaged connections are used. The sort of thing you see on hydraulic systems.

Jen

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Sometimes professionally made swaged connections are used. The sort of thing you see on hydraulic systems.

That’s what I was referring to when I said ‘crimped’. Sam has the tool and the fittings to do it. 

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That’s what I was referring to when I said ‘crimped’. Sam has the tool and the fittings to do it. 

Ideal if you have someone with the equipment. Gucci hoses! :)

I thought you were talking about these clips.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Your local Pirtek or industrial hydraulic place will have everything you need, just take as many of the bits and pieces as you can along with you, plonk the lot on the counter and burst into tears - they will help.

• Happy 1

59 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Oh no... I hate those with a vengeance. 

Me too. Hateful things. 

There seems to be no really effective and well designed low cost hose clip. They all seem to have their problems. 

2 hours ago, Kevsco said:

Thanks everyone for your help. I will try a local hydraulic hose supplier.

I was lucky my pipe from the tank was rubber, so all I had to do was cut and fit the fuelguard. The do work well I clean mine twice a year, its surprising how much muck it stops

What's the benefit of the Fuel Guard separator? Is it just that you can clean the filter rather than replacing it?

https://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/fuel-guard-fgd100-diesel-decontaminator-and-water-separator/p12089?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4pPuv7Hu2gIVip3tCh0iEA4HEAQYASABEgI-APD_BwE

I replaced my Vetus separator with a Delphi unit (also shown on the webpage above). It's a quarter of the price of the Fuel Guard and the elements are cheap too - about a fiver from memory. You'd have to go through a lot of Delphi filters before you could justify the cost of the Fuel Guard unit - unless there is some other advantage?

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

What's the benefit of the Fuel Guard separator

I believe it's the gold plated fittings. I use a Mann truck diesel pre filter and agglomerator (with steel water drain hence BSS compliant), so I feel a bit inadequate but my fuel is clean and water free so I grin and bear it.  ;)