Help me identify the make and model of my boat

the blind novice

Featured Posts

Hi everyone. Its the blind novice here. I've bought a little yogurt pot and need some help with the identity of this boat. I thought it was a Shetland but apparently not. I will be going on the water next month so if you spot Dorris on your travels give me a wave. Many thanks in advance for all your help and advice. 

IMG_20180421_163359.jpg

IMG_20180421_163341.jpg

IMG_20180421_163341.jpg

IMG_20180421_163416.jpg

I've decided to put the boat in at Bristol docks. As I've never had a boat before I thought it would be better to give myself some room to practice steering and parking etc. A chug up the avon to bath and onto the kennet and avon. Solo locks should be interesting. Dreading bath deep lock lol. Intend to spend the summer on the water. See how far I can go. Any tips on where to find petrol on the kennet and avon canal would be appreciated

15 minutes ago, the blind novice said:

Thanks people for the replies. Where would I find the id number if it is a dawncraft?

There are also some characteristics that don't look typical Dawncraft as far as I'm aware, such as right-hand steering, canopy style, and front Houdini hatch. Does it have an old licence lying around with its number on if it's not printed on the boat itself?

Edited to add that I see it has a number plate in the window. What is this and what's the boat's name? 

Edited by rgreg

10 minutes ago, the blind novice said:

Hi people. I've found the index number for the boat on crt site. It's 120953. Would this give me the correct make or would it be details provided by previous owner?

It's not listed on canalplan. If nobody comes along with a positive ID here your best bet is to trawl through Google images to find a match or maybe CRT have the details from previous registration.

45 minutes ago, the blind novice said:

Hi people. I've found the index number for the boat on crt site. It's 120953. Would this give me the correct make or would it be details provided by previous owner?

Where did you get get that number from ? If you put it into the CaRT online boat checker site, it comes up as 'does not recognise this boat'. What number have you got on your licence ticket ?

Boat is on trailer. Not licensed yet. Number is on crt . Just trying to find out the make and model. It's registered to me and insured. Will be on the water next month with the correct license.

25 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Where did you get get that number from ? If you put it into the CaRT online boat checker site, it comes up as 'does not recognise this boat'. What number have you got on your licence ticket ?

I just tried to use the boat checker site but came up with questions that need answers I don't have. How did you get past that hurdle?

5 minutes ago, the blind novice said:

Boat is on trailer. Not licensed yet. Number is on crt . Just trying to find out the make and model. It's registered to me and insured. Will be on the water next month with the correct license.

I just tried to use the boat checker site but came up with questions that need answers I don't have. How did you get past that hurdle?

Just put the boat no. in the boat index box & click submit.     https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/licensing/boat-check

I don't recognise it as any of the makes regularly found on canals.

As has ben said that "overhanging" roof is highly unusual, and, (assuming it is original), by far the most identifying feature.

None of the usual suspects have that I think.

Some evidence of something vaguely similar here on a Charnwood, but otherwise not that similar at all....................

used241_1.jpg

9 hours ago, zenataomm said:

That's not a Dawncraft, I don't know what it is but ain't no Dawncraft.

There were many makes back in the 60s like Microplus, Loftus Bennett, Burland, Mayland, Norman.

Plenty for you to research.

In the early years my neighbor had a similar looking boat His was 20ft & a RELCRAFT 20

Had a look at that one and other relcraft. It's not one of those. I've found the later Dolphin grp cruiser is very close. But im the blind novice what do I know. But big thanks to all you guys for taking the time to help. If you spot me and Dorris on the water this summer. Stop me and I will get you a beer.

I have looked at the Buckingham images and I agree it doesn't have the same lines as my boat. Just spoke to a nice lady at Crt. No clues there. Just basic info. The later Dolphin grp is the closest I can find. Not one single Buckingham I looked at has steering wheel on the same side as mine.

Petrol can be had at Bath opposite side to lower wharf moorings on the river, Dundas just up the track by the water point, Bradford on Avon along Trowbridge road 1/2 mile, Hilperton near the bridge after the 2 boatyards. After that from Melksham or Seend turnpike both long walks then nothing to the garage at the top of Devizes flight or London road in Devizes. After that the next garage is a longway probably Pewsey. Some of these have restricted hours.