4A?! Holy moley!

ronnietucker

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

4 amps at 13.2 volts suggests to me that the batteries are well discharged. I will be interesting to see what the current is at 14 volts plus.

I think the point being made that the solar charger going 'flat out' in April in Scotland was managing 4 amps from a 100W panel.  I bet it is was at about 50 degrees from the horizontal and pointing towards the sun.  

I think the point is that OP does not expect a single nominal 100W panel to produce 53W of charge power in Scotland, whatever the battery charge state.

Not knowing the conditions under which the Amazon seller took the photo does not help much - although the photo looks more like a private ebay seller than a commercial outlet.

I don't think achieving a charge output of about 53% of the nominal capacity of the panel is particularly unusual under perfect UK conditions.

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

I don't think achieving a charge output of about 53% of the nominal capacity of the panel is particularly unusual under perfect UK conditions.

I actually calculate my averages based on achieving 50% of capacity during the summer (to allow for clouds, rain etc),

50% of that in Spring and Autumn, (so around 25% of capacity

And 5% of capacity for Winter.

I have found the '3-seasons' to be 'around' the actuals achieved, but the Winter figure can be spot-on, high, or low depending on the type of Winter we get

14 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

4 amps at 13.2 volts suggests to me that the batteries are well discharged. I will be interesting to see what the current is at 14 volts plus.

Surely your comment depends on whether there is currently a load on the batteries, ie the fridge or similar. 

10 hours ago, MHS said:

Surely your comment depends on whether there is currently a load on the batteries, ie the fridge or similar. 

Yes but I was trying to point out that things may not be all they seem so that reading needs treating with some caution. Personally I distrust instantaneous readings from solar and prefer aggregate ones to asses how the solar is preforming.

My brother sailed from NI to Portpatrick on the west coast of Scotland on Friday returning on Saturday.  He sent me a video clip.  The weather was gorgeous whilst here in London is was just plain horrible on both days.  I tell you we are doomed!  Weather patterns are definitely changing.

On 29/04/2018 at 12:24, ronnietucker said:

My point was that I was even managing to get 4A in April, and in Scotland. :D

which doesn't compute, 'cos in #3 you stated it was the amazon seller who was claiming that output from a single 100W panel, not you.  

confused.com :banghead:

3 hours ago, Dartagnan said:

My brother sailed from NI to Portpatrick on the west coast of Scotland on Friday returning on Saturday.  He sent me a video clip.  The weather was gorgeous whilst here in London is was just plain horrible on both days.  I tell you we are doomed!  Weather patterns are definitely changing.

Portpatrick is gorgeous in any weather. 

Can't believe I'm having to explain a sarky joke. Ah well, here goes:

I was being sarky saying that I got 4A. Just because it's Scotland.

Someone said (#2) 1000W panel. I said no, it was 100W according to the Amazon seller (#3).

That's all.

It's true. A joke isn't as funny when you have to explain it.

Just now, ronnietucker said:

Someone said (#2) 1000W panel. I said no, it was 100W according to the Amazon seller (#3).

That's all.

I was with you all the way - that's why I suggested that to get 4 amps in Scotland it must be a HUGE solar panel (1000w)

4 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

so your 'joke' consisted of a photo of a charge controller delivering 4A.   .......  well I'll be  .........................   :wacko::wacko::wacko:        :banghead:

Ah, but you missed the important part of the joke: Scotland.

Usually, it's kinda sunny up here and I'll be lucky if it registers 1A.  :D

19 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

That's all.

Some of the ground round here is exeptionally stony. only fertile enough for growing pedants. Ooops soz keyboard glitch, I think I meant peanuts. On the other hand........ perhaps the computer is always right.

20 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

Ah, but you missed the important part of the joke: Scotland.

Usually, it's kinda sunny up here and I'll be lucky if it registers 1A.  :D

which makes no sense at all.  :wacko:

I lived in Dundee for several years and was often subjected to clear blue skies.  When the air temperature is lower and the air is clear (common conditions in northern latitudes) the solar panels are significantly more efficient.