Paloma water heater leaking from bottom

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think it is but she needs to know where the drain screw is to let the water down the drain pipe.

Alternatively if Olive just follows the pipe back it will attach to the drain point / drain screw.

Oh, I didn't realise there was a screw. Time for me to shut-up me thinks

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

IF anyone can find him.

His website seem to have gone, as has his advert on gumtree. Is he still fixing Palomas, does anyone know?

I found him on eBay a couple weeks ago.  Very easy to do business with. 

On 13/05/2018 at 11:12, Alan de Enfield said:

You don't blow up the drain screw hole - you blow up where the main water supply (15mm white plastic pipe ?) goes into the boiler.

OK thanks.

On 13/05/2018 at 11:12, rusty69 said:

Drain point 

imageedit_2_4891170606.jpg

I clicked on this and it shows a black screen with  a teensy weensy little square in the middle???

• 1 year later...

Hello folks. Long story short, the top right of my paloma just exploded, there was an old repair there. I'm finding it difficult to find a new paloma heater. Is there a morco that is room sealed, or any other make? I don't want the hassle of cutting the roof for a flue. The boat is old so I'd like  to keep as is.. 

11 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Hello folks. Long story short, the top right of my paloma just exploded, there was an old repair there. I'm finding it difficult to find a new paloma heater. Is there a morco that is room sealed, or any other make? I don't want the hassle of cutting the roof for a flue. The boat is old so I'd like  to keep as is.. 

Can you fix it as in my post #25? I've done loads like this, it could be one of mine! But they don't usually fail in the same place. 

13 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

You could try paloma bob for a replacement. I picked up a cracking spare barely used from ebay a couple of months back. 

The longer version is.. the burner was pulsating, low water flow I think, so I stripped the temperature regulator and the diaphragm, checked the filters too.  Started it up and when I turned the tap off the burner carried on running. This blew out the old repair. Probably done more damage. There's a couple of heaters on ebay, second hand/exchange so no good for me.. 

9 hours ago, Tom766 said:

The longer version is.. the burner was pulsating, low water flow I think, so I stripped the temperature regulator and the diaphragm, checked the filters too.  Started it up and when I turned the tap off the burner carried on running. This blew out the old repair. Probably done more damage. There's a couple of heaters on ebay, second hand/exchange so no good for me.. 

You have a fault in the diaphragm chamber or the tiny airways leading into it. That is why the burner stayed on. Often its limescale in the holes.

Why is an exchange no good to you? I don't understand.

It would of been better to give us the full story at the off. The fact that you messed with it and it brewed up when you turned the water off was very relevant.

The fact that this is an open flue venting into the boat is also highly relevant for your well being.

Edited by Boater Sam

I abrieviated initially because my question was can I buy a flueless heater. How I messed with it is irrelevant. 

I think boilerman has mentioned that there are flueless appliances around, especially on older boats. If the appliances were definite killers they'd be banned wouldn't they? 

Just now, Tom766 said:

I abrieviated initially because my question was can I buy a flueless heater. How I messed with it is irrelevant. 

I think boilerman has mentioned that there are flueless appliances around, especially on older boats. If the appliances were definite killers they'd be banned wouldn't they? 

Yes, there are but you cannot install a new one. You have to use a fixed flued appliance.

Which is why it is relevant what happened to yours and why I asked if it could be repaired.

It is usually the pipe on the top right that bursts, sounds like yours has been frozen at some time. For a repair close the split, cover with a bit of copper and closely bind it with thick copper wire over the repair. Then solder the whole lot solid.

But now you have a gas control problem it will brew up and burst again unless you sort it out. Which is why it is relevant that you messed with it.

Could I point out that you should not be working on a gas appliance unless you can prove your competence which is nigh impossible unless you are a qualified card carrying boat LPG engineer?

They are certain killers, the products of combustion will kill you unless there is so much ventilation in your boat that its draughty.

They also produce loads of water vapour, just what you don't want inside a boat.

I've seen Rinnai instant gas water heaters working without a flue exhausting into the cabin, after all they are usually only in use for a short time, unlike a gas cooker which might have oven and hob rings burning for some time also exhausting into the cabin.

• Unimpressed 1

1 minute ago, Tom766 said:

Ah thanks traveller, that's encouraging as I ordered one of his on ebay. It was unrealistic trying to find a new one. Not sure when they discontinued but when running right they are very good.. 

They went obsolete years ago but they are very good. Paloma Bob does a good job and gives a great discount if there is an exchange. We were lucky in that we could go and do the trade at his workshop. Just remember to drain the unit down during the winter months (if you are not on the boat that is). An earlier one of our's got frosted years ago (when they still made them and parts were easily available). That taught us a lesson so now, be it summer or winter, we drain our's down when leaving the boat.

8 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Ah thanks traveller, that's encouraging as I ordered one of his on ebay. It was unrealistic trying to find a new one. Not sure when they discontinued but when running right they are very good.. 

Ours has been in daily use for 21 years, has had no spare parts and was second hand when we got it. I recently picked up a used one on ebay which had only had little use, looks brand new. I think it cost 85 quid, and the bloke delivered it.