Paloma water heater leaking from bottom

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

Hi All

I have had to turn the water off on my boat as when I turned it on the other day, water leaks from the bottom of my water heater (the heater wasn't turned on at the time I just turned my indoor isolator switch to the on position). The yard where I am couldn't look at it for me as they were too busy, so I just had to turn the water off and come home. 

The heater is old and a Paloma, and I have just looked online for some inspiration. I am going to my boat tomorrow to see what model etc it is so I can look online for a manual and possible things to look at, but have any of you knowledgeable folk any idea what it might be (a tall order, I know) and whether it is something I might be able to tackle myself, or call on a friend?

OO

Edited by OliveOyl

The matrix that heats the water may have rusted through or if it was left full thro the winter and froze that could burst it ( Don't ask me how I know that I was a newby once ) also could well be water in/out connection leaking. They are great bits of kit if its stuffed replace with similar they are available with Mr Google. Or fit a morco if not repairable.

I have just read something online that says they can be damaged by frost so you may well be right. I didn't know you were supposed to empty them (and wouldn't know how anyway).

I was hoping it could be repaired, as I dread to think what a new heater would cost:o

24 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

I have just read something online that says they can be damaged by frost so you may well be right. I didn't know you were supposed to empty them (and wouldn't know how anyway).

I was hoping it could be repaired, as I dread to think what a new heater would cost:o

Not as much as you think probably.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A Morco D61 can be had for under £300 (I don't think the D51 is available any longer) - some folks may think that is a lot of money

Bargain innitt ?

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Not as much as you think probably.

Just looked on ebay and nearly had a fit!

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A Morco D61 can be had for under £300 (I don't think the D51 is available any longer) - some folks may think that is a lot of money

It is to me :wacko:. I was hoping to order a spare part for a tenner and look for a youtube video for how to fit it!

7 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Just looked on ebay and nearly had a fit!

You must remember living on a boat often costs more than living in a house. Its a VERY expensive hobby or as a lifestyle, take upkeep etc etc and running costs, moorings, etc etc about the same as a house. Get a new gas boiler fitted in a house and see what that costs.

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Really? Where from?

Last I heard was Morco stopped making them late last year. Has production re-started?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

I know his sister, Faith

Faith Bob????

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You must remember living on a boat often costs more than living in a house. Its a VERY expensive hobby or as a lifestyle, take upkeep etc etc and running costs, moorings, etc etc about the same as a house. Get a new gas boiler fitted in a house and see what that costs.

I don't live on a boat. I bought it and have never used it -yet, but am about to start doing so. Have spent thousands on it :angry2:

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find himmaybe you can hire paloma Bob 

Who is Paloma Bob?

53 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The matrix that heats the water may have rusted through

Pretty unlikely given its made from copper! But I agree, chances are high it is frost damage. They burst up on the top right hand corner. Easily fixed buy soldering up the split. I've done it for several boaters on here over the years.

1 minute ago, OliveOyl said:

Who is Paloma Bob?

He os a bloke called Bob who mends Palomas. Have a google and you'll find him!

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Pretty unlikely given its made from copper! But I agree, chances are high it is frost damage. They burst up on the top right hand corner. Easily fixed buy soldering up the split. I've done it for several boaters on here over the years.

Thanks.  My problem is whatever needs doing, I invariably have to pay someone at the yard as I don't have the skills. Anything else, I'll have a go at, but plumbing is out of my league. It is just a shame that I've not been able to actually spend time on my boat, as I think that's half the problem.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

He os a bloke called Bob who mends Palomas. Have a google and you'll find him!

Thanks, I found him ( I also found a reference for a Paloma Bob who keeps racing pigeons - I'm guessing they're not one and the same!

Just now, OliveOyl said:

Thanks, I found him ( I also found a reference for a Paloma Bob who keeps racing pigeons - I'm guessing they're not one and the same!

PS Does anyone know what part of the country he is in?

3 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

Thanks.  My problem is whatever needs doing, I invariably have to pay someone at the yard as I don't have the skills. Anything else, I'll have a go at, but plumbing is out of my league. It is just a shame that I've not been able to actually spend time on my boat, as I think that's half the problem.

Given Alan just posted a link to a new Morco for sale, I'd grab one while Hamiltons still have some stock. The Paloma is a great water heater but they are all very old now and prone to failure. 

2 minutes ago, OliveOyl said:

PS Does anyone know what part of the country he is in?

Dunno, but ISTR he does a mail order exchange service on them. You send him yours, and he sends you back another one, all fixed and working.

Fixed a few of these, usually its the pipework on the heat exchanger in the top right that splits. I patch with a piece of split open copper pipe secured by wrapping with copper wire around the split pipe and solder it all together. A decent plumber would be able to do this. Worth you taking the case off and having a look to see where it is leaking from.

You don't need to be Gas Safe registered as you are not opening any gas chambers or pipes.

I'm not a million miles from you in Middlewich.